Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « Counting down to SFTROU one year at a time »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   Counting down to SFTROU one year at a time
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ...  9 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Counting down to SFTROU one year at a time  (Read 13625 times)
sympathy_0
Goo God

Never you mind.

View Profile WWW

Re: Counting down to SFTROU one year at a time
« Reply #30 on: Aug 16th, 2010, 2:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I did not know about this James Dean thing! If the Goo's are against homosexuals (which I really don't think they are), it would actually be enough to turn me off their music. Sad So let's hope that they are not, hha.
IP Logged

www.youtube.com/forbuss
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #31 on: Aug 16th, 2010, 3:12pm »

Go read John's latest tweets.  I'm awfully certain he has no problem with homosexuals.
IP Logged
sympathy_0
Goo God

Never you mind.

View Profile WWW

« Reply #32 on: Aug 16th, 2010, 3:55pm »

on Aug 16th, 2010, 3:12pm, i dont knO wrote:
Go read John's latest tweets.  I'm awfully certain he has no problem with homosexuals.

Amen.
IP Logged

www.youtube.com/forbuss
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #33 on: Aug 16th, 2010, 6:39pm »

Name becomes a hit on the radio.  The band plays a million shows and has to endure the Bush/No Doubt tour.  The Goo Goo Dolls get their own (first) official day in Buffalo, 4/13/96.

(Someone find me that quote about how touring with Bush is like getting a tooth removed through your ass.)

Anyways, today's bootleg is a completely selfish one.  It is Aladdin Theatre, Las Vegas, NV, 3/10/96.

Setlist is:
Naked
Impersonality
Fallin' Down
Burnin' Up
Eyes Wide Open
Long Way Down
Only One
Hey
Slave Girl
Name  
Flat Top

http://www.mediafire.com/?0gj8v9ejep77173

Story time!

This concert is the first bootleg I ever heard.  Minus performances of Iris on TV, this was the first live recording I heard of the band.  Additionally, this bootleg is the first time I ever heard Robby sing.  

In 1998, WEDG (103.3 The Edge) would air two radio shows on Sunday nights.  The first was Modern Rock Live (which you saw in 1995's post) and the second was 'Bootleg Edge', a 60-90 minute show where they aired 1-2 'official' bootleg concerts.  The night I discovered 'Bootleg Edge', about a week after I discovered WEDG, one of the two featured bootlegs was this concert (minus the last two songs).  I had just become interested in the GGDs (that story will come in 199Cool so I listened to the audio recording and happened to throw in a cassette tape and record it*.  At that point, I knew about 8 GGDs songs so this bootleg from the Aladdin Theatre was the first place I heard some of their songs (all of Robby's, Eyes Wide Open, Hey).  

In 1998, Youtube did not exist.  High speed internet did not exist (for us normal people anyways).  Google did not exist.  So until I figured out 'oh, hey, I guess I could buy the albums!' (which was quite an expense for a 14 year old), all I had of this band was a handful of songs taped off the radio and this bootleg.  I can recite the setlist from memory, I can remember every single lyric change up, I can tell you every word they say between songs.  It's not a 'rare' bootleg and it's certainly not the longest show, but this is still my absolute favorite show recording I own and that is why it is today's download.  (I also love recordings from this era because they are more or less the last time the band played as a three piece.  They were certainly not as 'tight' as they became with two extra musicians, but, well, sometimes the 'fun' outweighs hitting every note)

*If you download and listen to this show, there is a DJ who cuts in between segments.  He will reference a show that was delayed for 3 days (the 2001 Buffalo show) and you will say 'But Nicole, that does not match up to your story at all from 1998!  You liar!'  This particular recording was made when WEDG re-aired this show in 2001 because 1. It aired the last two songs which were skipped in 1998 and 2. I wore the shit out of my 1998 original.  This version was way nicer when I learned how to convert cassettes to digital a year later.  There is also an 'official' cd of this show that was sent to radio stations that would not have a DJ talking.  I've gone out of my way to not own it because I remember it more fondly with someone cutting in and calling 'Hey' Torn Apart
IP Logged
DWG

Email

« Reply #34 on: Aug 16th, 2010, 8:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

(Someone find me that quote about how touring with Bush is like getting a tooth removed through your ass.)

I tried. It makes for a really weird google search.
I couldn't find John talking about Bush, but I did find Mike taking on the subject:

http://www.musicfanclubs.org/googoodolls/misc/DigMag0298.htm
IP Logged
Lamb_Chop
Dizzy

View Profile

« Reply #35 on: Aug 16th, 2010, 9:54pm »

on Aug 16th, 2010, 2:57pm, sympathy_0 wrote:
I did not know about this James Dean thing! If the Goo's are against homosexuals (which I really don't think they are), it would actually be enough to turn me off their music. Sad So let's hope that they are not, hha.

I'm on the same page as you. I'm glad to hear they're not against it though!

IP Logged
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #36 on: Aug 17th, 2010, 7:31pm »

Dudes, 1997 sucked.  I'm not going to make this one cheerful.  The GGDs sued Metal Blade, WB sued the GGDs,  personal lives were messes, John and Robby ran away to NYC for a while.

Here's an article.  There are some interesting parts, but it's just as depressing as the rest of 1997.

The Post-Standard (Syracuse, NY)
August 7, 1997 Thursday City Edition
HEADLINE: Q&A: AN INTERVIEW WITH JOHNNY RZEZNIK OF THE GOO GOO DOLLS
BYLINE: Ken Neijstrom
The Goo Goo Dolls took time off from working on their new album to perform at the K-Rock-A-Thon in Vernon Downs July 13.

The band's latest album, "A Boy Named Goo," is a multi-platinum seller that includes such hits as "Name," "Naked" and "Long Way Down." Their new single, "Lazy Eye," is featured on the "Batman and Robin" soundtrack.

The Goo Goo Dolls, who are from Buffalo, have been performing together for 10 years and have made five albums. Recently I had a chance to interview lead singer/guitarist Johnny Rzeznik. Here are excerpts:

hj: Were you shy when you were a teen-ager?  

Johnny R.: Yeah. I was pretty miserable. I didn't have a lot of friends. I basically kept to myself.

hj: What's the strangest thing that ever happened to you at a concert?

Johnny R.: Once I tried running across the stage but there was no more stage left. I fell off the stage into a crowd of people, and I knocked about a dozen people over. Everybody was just laying there on the floor. It was hysterical. I had this huge bruise on my hip for about two months.

hj: What's your favorite song to play live that you've written?

Johnny R.: "Naked." People seem to dig that song for its energy.

hj: When did you start playing guitar, and did you ever take lessons?

Johnny R.: I started playing guitar when I was 13. I took a couple of lessons. My dad would give me five bucks a week for the lessons, but I'd go out and spend it and tell him that I went to my lesson. My friends and I would get together and play, and that's how I really learned to play.

hj: What bands did you grow up listening to?

Johnny R.: Kiss, Cheap Trick, Replacements, Clash and the Sex Pistols.

hj: Where do you find inspiration for the lyrics you write?

Johnny R.: It's always different. Sometimes I just make up a story. Other times I draw from real life or other people's lives. People will talk to me, and I'll write a song. Sometimes I just throw words together because they sound cool coming out of your mouth.

hj: How did you come up with the name Goo Goo Dolls?

Johnny R.: That was a stupid, drunken nightmare. I was, like, 18 or 19 years old and drunk.

hj: How often are you away from home, and what is it like being away that long?

Johnny R.: I was home for about one month out of the past two years. I'm still readjusting to being home. I moved to New York for six months, and that became a drag. So I just came home to Buffalo, and I've been home for about a month. It's real good to be home.

hj: How long does it take you to write a song, on average?

Johnny R.: Three years (Laugh). Sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes three years. I still have songs that haven't been finished from five years ago. Generally I spend around six or seven months writing everything for the (album).

hj: What's your worst memory from your high school years?

Johnny R.: I was the only punk in my high school. It was all jocks and metal guys, and all my friends didn't go to that school. I just remember being in the bathroom, smoking a cigarette, and the biggest dude in the school came in and spat in my hair. He just spat in my hair, and I was like "What do I do? This guy will kill me." So I took it. What can you do when a 250-pound jock wants to kill you because he thinks you're gay because of your funny haircut?

(My school) wouldn't let me graduate onstage because they said I didn't represent what a normal, healthy student at my high school should be like. The school was into squashing people's take on life. So they just handed me my diploma and told me I graduated.

Then they asked me to come back and give a speech. I started writing it, but I politely declined. It was really weird, because it was a catharsis from my own high school experience.

When I look back in retrospect, all the things that everybody told me that I was an idiot for doing were the things that paid off for me.

I stuck to my own idea of the way I was supposed to live my life, and it worked for me. And that feels good now, because they were wrong and I was right about myself.

hj: What advice would you give to a teen-ager who is having a tough time in high school like you did?

Johnny R.: The only thing that matters is being true to yourself. You don't need people in your life that don't believe in you. It's better to be alone and have your integrity and freedom than to be a part of a group and deny yourself those things.

hj: Has success changed you at all?

Johnny R.: Not at all. I bought my wife a nice car, and I moved to a bigger apartment. It's really a passing thing. I'm not really into the fame-and-fortune thing. Everybody thinks that when you make a hit you have a lot of money, but it's not true, because I don't make a lot of money. It wasn't about the cash. I know that some day I'll wake up and it's not going to be there.

hj: How's the new album coming along, and when do you think it will come out?

Johnny R.: It's coming along great. It will probably come out in January. We are about to do a video for "Lazy Eye," which is on the Batman and Robin soundtrack.

hj: Do you like doing videos?

Johnny R.: No, I hate it. It is really uncomfortable. They stick cameras in your face, and they say, "All right, pretend you're singing." Then you do it, and you feel like an idiot. But I always make sure I really sing.

When I'm singing and playing, I make sure I'm playing the right notes and actually singing. Even though they're not recording it, I feel so bogus standing there flapping my gums with nothing coming out. So I make myself sing.

IP Logged
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #37 on: Aug 18th, 2010, 10:57am »

Thanks for posting that interview Nicole. That's one I've never read before.
IP Logged

If you need help, please email me at [email protected]

sympathy_0
Goo God

Never you mind.

View Profile WWW

« Reply #38 on: Aug 18th, 2010, 5:38pm »

I am loving this! Can you say 13 days? Smiley
IP Logged

www.youtube.com/forbuss
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #39 on: Aug 18th, 2010, 7:23pm »

1998!!!  Dizzy Up the Girl is released!  Iris dominates everything!  The GGDs are EVERYWHERE.  Oh, and the GGDs get called sell outs.

Today's bootleg: Electric Factory, Philadelphia, PA 11-6-98.

Setlist is:
Dizzy
Long Way Down
Lazy Eye
Slide
Black Balloon
Bulletproof
Naked
Name
January Friend
Fallin' Down
Full Forever
Broadway
Another Second Time Around
Flat Top
Iris
There You Are
Burnin' Up
Hate This Place
Two Days in February

http://www.mediafire.com/?db9uz6kpn6lcwmv

And a video to watch - This is Iris on Artist's Cut, a long forgotten MTV show where the musicians talk about their music videos.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v337/crookedrhyme/goo/?action=view& ;current=artistcutiris.mp4

Story time!  (I think we're to the point where people start having concert stories or 'first fan moments' so if you have anything for a particular, please jump in if you'd like)

As I mentioned above, I became a fan of the GGDs in 1998.  I first became aware of them in March 1998, when I heard Iris debut on Kiss 98.5, the major Buffalo Hot 100 station.  I wasn't paying any sort of attention to the song and it just kind of hit me.  The song made me feel this little jump in my stomach and I loved it.  Until then (I was 14) I had never really cared about any artist or band.  I just listened to the Hot 100 station that everyone else listened to.

In August of 1998, for some reason, I switched my radio over to 103.3 The Edge, the 'alternative' station in Buffalo.  All I really knew about the station was that it was 'freak music' according to my older sister.  I just listened to it for a while and kind of liked what I heard, so I kept listening to it.  It just happens that the weekend I switched my radio over to 103.3 was the weekend before the GGDs played a homecoming show in WNY.  The Edge was having a big promotion and giving away tickets to the 10th caller every time they played a 'double edged set' of the GGDs.  Essentially, they were playing two GGD songs back to back every hour for an entire weekend.  I had just spent the last 4 months obsessing over two GGD songs (Iris and Name) and suddenly I was presented with this whole new collection of songs.  I was big into taping things off the radio at that time so I started recording every time I guessed they were coming on.  After that weekend, I listened to the tape I had made endlessly (I wore it out and had to make copies).  The songs I heard had the same effect on me as Iris did - they made my stomach kind of jump and they had an effect on me that no other music ever had.

Once a year, I pull the cassette tape out and hope it still plays.  I play it the weekend of the Lewiston Art show every year because that is the weekend in 1998 that I truly became a fan of this band (that was this past weekend for me  Cheesy).  The first songs I knew by the GGDs were: Lazy Eye, Name, We Are the Normal, Long Way Down, Fallin' Down, Flat Top, Don't Change, There You Are and Cuz You're Gone.

Last month, I met up with some friends at a GGD concert.  A friend of a friend said to me, "Okay, I've just got to ask you.  Do you even like this band?!"  And the answer is yes.  They may do stupid shit that I hate and they may not be the same band I fell in love with one night when I was bored and lonely in my bedroom as a teenager, but they changed my life in 1998.  I've consoled myself through the worst times of my life with this band, I've met amazing people because of this band, I've been on crazy adventures, I've learned an enormous amount about an awful lot of things because of this band, I give credit to this band for being computer literate and capable with technology (which lead me down an academic and professional path that I would not have gone down otherwise) and I am incredibly grateful their part in my life for the last 12 years.  Yay, 1998.

*All hate mail for the .gif above should be directed to the artist, Steph.  Thank you, Steph, it is perfect.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ...  9 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]