Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « Counting down to SFTROU one year at a time »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   Counting down to SFTROU one year at a time
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ...  9 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Counting down to SFTROU one year at a time  (Read 13613 times)
Lamb_Chop
Dizzy

View Profile

Re: Counting down to SFTROU one year at a time
« Reply #20 on: Aug 11th, 2010, 1:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Aug 10th, 2010, 3:35pm, i dont knO wrote:
They did play James Dean at times.  But when they were sort of on a major record label, they were apparently encouraged not to play it.  You can hear constant 'PLAY JAMES DEAN' in many older bootlegs.  John would sometimes play it and either not sing the last line or tell the audience to sing it.

Haha! That's funny... I have to say that last line did sort of irritate me the first time I heard it. I doubt the Goos have anything against gays though.  

As for Hold Me Up, I don't own it either but I have a majority of the songs on my iPod! I think Just the Way You Are and Hey are my favorites from it.
IP Logged
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #21 on: Aug 11th, 2010, 8:38pm »

FR and Jed are an entirely different monster, so I don't think you're missing out so much there, but everyone should have Hold Me Up and give it a fair listen.
IP Logged
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #22 on: Aug 11th, 2010, 8:40pm »

Let's listen to something from New Jersey!  Note that James Dean is in this bootleg!

Asbury Park, NJ 8/23/91
(This is the date and location I am sticking with.  Back in the day when I actually traded regularly, I received this bootleg three different times with three different dates/locations.  Oh, the days before yousendit.com)

Setlist:
Hey  
Just the Way You Are  
Different Light  
Up Yours  
Road To Salinas  
Laughing  
Had Enough  
You Know What I Mean  
Torn Apart  
On Your Side  
There You Are  
Two Days in February  
James Dean  
Out of Sight  
I’m Addicted  
Never Take the Place Of Your Man  
Livin’ In a Hut  
Love Dolls  
Suspicious Minds  
Don’t Fear the Reaper/ Can’t Touch This

http://www.mediafire.com/?lz0d1zavkw2vdca

And on youtube, there is a brand new video being uploaded in parts from Toronto 4/91 by some guy who taped the show.  If you need to celebrate 1991 some more, go take a look.
IP Logged
Lamb_Chop
Dizzy

View Profile

« Reply #23 on: Aug 11th, 2010, 11:21pm »

Just out of curiosity, is there anyway to actually get First Release? It's not on iTunes...  

IP Logged
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #24 on: Aug 12th, 2010, 8:00pm »

There are definitely parts of GGD history that are fuzzy and this is one of them.  I don't know if it is true or if it was just told so many times that it was just accepted as the truth.  The story goes that some band member took home the demos from SSCW and kept them under some loose floorboards in their apartment.  When they moved out, someone else found the demos and circulated them.  True or not, it makes a good story.

This probably isn't new to anyone, but it's worth a revisit if you haven't listened in a while.

44 Minute SSCW Demo Reel.

http://www.mediafire.com/?4prht78sk0xtia6

(This particular set of demos was shared publicly by googoofan5 on WOG about 3 years ago.  Just giving credit for generosity where it is due. http://www.musicfanclubs.org/cgi-bin/ggd/YaBB.cgi?board=maingooboard;act ion=display;num=1192581769;start=3#3)
IP Logged
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #25 on: Aug 13th, 2010, 6:10pm »

Yay!  Superstar Car Wash is released!  It's probably the most universally loved album by anyone who's called himself a fan of the band.  The GGDs get called sell outs again anyways!

Here's the album cover beside what the SSCW building looks like now.  It is not torn down yet, despite what people (including Robby) have said.

First, go listen to SSCW.  

Then, here's another bootleg.  This is Irving Plaza, NYC 6/3/93.

http://www.mediafire.com/?b0iudo8nc86zc0i

It's an amazing batch of songs.  There is tons of banter.  Even if you're not a bootleg person, at least listen to Two Days in February.  It's one of my favorite stories.

Setlist
Just the Way You Are
Lucky Star
Fallin' Down
So Outta Line
Laughing
Up Yours
Torn Apart
On The Lie
Stop the World
Two Days in February
Different Light
Close Your Eyes
Hey
Million Miles Away  
We Are the Normal
Cuz You're Gone
Another Second Time Around
There You Are
Girl Right Next To Me
Don't Fear the Reaper/ 867-5309

And if that's not quite enough, here are links to two songs taken from the SSCW record release party at New World Records in Buffalo, NY.  A bunch of songs were aired on a local show on a public access channel in WNY about 4-5 years ago.  Judging by the number of people videotaping in these videos, I am at a loss on why at least one version of the whole show has not surfaced.  Fun fact: The guy who owned NWR (now gone) was a brother in law of one of John's sisters.

On the Lie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSPTz4zS-9E

There You Are
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8rX7POOVPU

IP Logged
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #26 on: Aug 14th, 2010, 5:32pm »

George's last show was 12/31/94 at Blind Mellon's (Cheektowaga, NY, I believe).  Whatever happened is anyone's guess.  John, Robby and George have all changed their stories on him quitting or being fired.

I'm taking the lazy route.  A Boy Named Goo demos that were already uploaded to my Mediafire account.  Sorry, they're not zipped, you'll need to download each one individually.  They're pretty late stage demos so there are no wild differences, but you get the Stand Alone demo as well.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ttyf6jdw370t3

For those who may not know, Stand Alone was written by George and slated to appear on ABNG.  After George was replaced, John and Robby decided it would be best to remove the song from the album.

And... this article is about the break up.  It's from January 1995, but let's pretend it's 1994.

Buffalo News (New York)
January 17, 1995, Tuesday, City Edition
HEADLINE: GOO-BYE, DOLLS;
DRUMMER OUSTED IN BIG-TIME BREAKUP
BYLINE: By ANTHONY VIOLANTI, News Critic

The Goo Goo Dolls, Buffalo's most influential young rock band, is breaking up its original lineup after nearly a decade together. And the timing couldn't be worse.

The band is scheduled to release a national album and single in March for Warner Bros. Records. George Tutuska, drummer for the band, says he has been forced out of the trio. Remaining members Johnny Rzeznik and Robby Takac -- both guitarists -- intend to continue the group, and a replacement drummer has yet to be named.  

The split is causing shock waves on the Buffalo music scene.

The Goo Goo Dolls are one of the few local acts to record for a major national label and still live in the city.

They have been together since 1986, and the new album represents a crucial point in the band's career that may determine the Goo Goo Dolls' future as a national act.

"I'm still shocked," a crestfallen Tutuska said in an interview with The Buffalo News this weekend.

"I didn't leave of my own accord. Anyone who knows the band is aware of what's going on. I put the last 10 years of my life into that band, and it really hurts. That's all I can say."

There has been a long-simmering dispute among the group. It had apparently been building over the past year and came to a boil this month, when Tutuska reportedly was told to leave.

"We just had differences that could not be settled," Rzeznik said. "We've had a lot of heartaches and frustrations. We've had some good times, too, but we just couldn't go on like this."

Takac agreed.

"There were problems, internally, within the group," he said. "We had a lot of uncomfortable feelings that we encountered when we all got together in the recording studio. I think a lot of it is due to the fact we've been together for so long."

The split comes with the future looking bright for the band. Chris Mundy of Rolling Stone wrote in 1993 that stardom is "close at hand" for the Goo Goo Dolls. Rocker Paul Westerburg said the Dolls "have a great future."

A Warner Bros. spokesman said, "We think the new album has a chance to be the biggest one this band has made."

It took eight years for the Goo Goo Dolls to reach this point, and that's an eternity for a rock band to stay together.

The Goo Goo Dolls started playing in local clubs in 1986 and won a huge following with their blue-collar, hard-driving sound. In 1989, the band produced an independent album, "Goo Goo Dolls," that established it as one of Buffalo's most original groups.

The Goos signed with Metal Blade Records, a subsidiary of Warner's, and released two critically acclaimed albums, "Jed" (1989) and "Hold Me Up" (1992).

In 1993, the Goo Goo Dolls moved to the major label and released "Superstar Car Wash" for Warner. publications such as Rolling Stone, the Chicago Tribune and the Los Angeles Times raved about the album, but itfailed to make a dent nationally.

Many of the Goos' longtime fans criticized the album for being too soft and pop-oriented. Rzeznik later complained that Warner Bros. made the band change producers on the record, and decided who would produce the video. Warner Bros. also selected the first single, "We Are the Normal," an introspective soft number instead of the band's trademark thrash pop sound.

The failure of "Superstar" to become a big hit apparently created a tense atmosphere for the band members while they were working on the new album. Sources close to the band say there have been a number of clashes in the recording studio and ongoing battles over "differences" among group members over music and lyrics.

"The last album caused a lot of tension," a record industry source said. "That has put more pressure on all of them for the new album. It's a shame, because it's a great record."

The album, called "A Boy Named Goo," features a much harder sound and deeper lyrics than the last one. It was produced by Lou Giordano, who has worked with such national acts as Sugar, the Smithereens and Husker Du.

The first single to be released next month is "The Only One."

The band's change in status could hurt the new album. The Goo Goo Dolls will have to tour and promote the album with a new lineup. Rzeznik is determined to succeed.

"We're still really passionate about our music," Rzeznik said. "Me and Robby are going to go on, and the label is supporting the album. We love music, and that's the most important thing."

Takac said: "We haven't given up on the record. We'll do whatever we have to to make it work. If it becomes a big hit, all of us, including George, can make money."

The Goo Goo Dolls' last public appearance was a New Year's Eve show at Blind Mellons.

"It was was an emotional night for all of us," Rzeznik said.

Both Rzeznik and Takac were in a somber mood as they talked about the split.

"We're not happy about what happened. It has cast a dark shadow over everything, but we have to keep going," Rzeznik said. "I wish George nothing but the best."

Takac said the band has yet to begin its search for a drummer.

"This has all just happened. We haven't had a chance to resolve anything," he said. "We're not out to dis George or anything. I know he's not happy, but this was probably the best thing for all of us."
IP Logged
DWG

Email

« Reply #27 on: Aug 14th, 2010, 8:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

We pause now for a moment of silence.

carry on.
IP Logged
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #28 on: Aug 15th, 2010, 7:02pm »

A Boy Named Goo is released!  The GGDs don't get called sell outs.  Mike joins the band and his karma and charisma allow Name to take off.  And then the band gets called sell outs.

Today's download - Mercury Cafe, Denver, CO 7/14/95.

Setlist is:

So Outta Line
Just the Way You Are
Lucky Star
Million Miles Away
String of Lies
Fallin' Down
Burnin' Up
Up Yours
Another Second Time Around
Long Way Down
Only One
Name
Naked
Already There
Impersonality
Eyes Wide Open
Flat Top
Two Days In February
Slave Girl
Don't Change

http://www.mediafire.com/?tnrp9tbqma2nl

And... one other download - this is an interview on Modern Rock Live from 1995.  It's clear, but it's split weird.  I think I originally got this from Steph's blog.  There are three acoustic songs.  The host is Mr. Tom Calderone.  He ran in the same circles as John and Robby when they were in college and worked his way up through radio, was a host of MRL, and then later became a VP at MTV (which is why the GGDs got some great features there back in the day) and is now President at VH1.  He also does a whole lot of good things for Buffalo so I'm a big fan.

http://www.mediafire.com/?8y3u1sobel7tutz
IP Logged
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #29 on: Aug 16th, 2010, 11:38am »

I haven't had much time to comment the past 4 days but I really do love this thread Nicole. Thanks so much for doing this countdown. I'm having so much fun reading the old articles and listening to the bootlegs. You're the perfect historian.
IP Logged

If you need help, please email me at [email protected]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ...  9 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]