Robert Smith on Radio 1
BBC Radio 1
Chris Evans Breakfast Show
April 4, 1996
Transcribed by Bostik
Anything in square brakets [ ] is an explanation by me so people can get
a better idea of whats going on if the don't live in the UK
Chris: Now on the phone we got hanging on there, Robert Smith,ehh...
Robert if you can hear me... thanks for hanging on. And we've got to talk
to Robert, after we hear about Robert from the man from the BBC. Here we
go tell us about him
Yes the Cure have sold...hang on one second, here we
go... Now the Cure have sold 23 million albums.
At 14 young Robert wore
velvet dresses to school and finally got
expelled for being a bad influence. He likes walking, Thai cooking and
pushing a trolley round Tescos [A supermarket]. He likes a lot of milk,
he's played tennis on the rooftop of a Milan hotel and his ambition is to
play football for England and go into space. He's obstinate, has a split
personality and tells big lies. And the Cure release their 10th studio
album WILD MOOD SWINGS in May.
- And coming from that album we have the brand new single, in just a
moment after we've talked to the guy himself. Live on the phone from his
home, from the Cure, Robert Smith, A hero! Good morning Robert!
- Good Morning
- How are ya?
- I'm alright thank you
- We've just had three naked girls in our studio
- I haven't been listening
- Under a duvet playing with vegetables
- Would you say that's rock and roll?
(Chris, Robert and Chris' crew start laughing)
- The Cure ever take on the same kind of employee?
- Fantastic eh...whats it? Is it true your...your a compulsive liar, you
tell lies, you like telling lies?
- No..how can I answer that? You won't know will you?
So Yes I am
- So what was the last great porky [lie] you told?
- I...I apparently told someone I was keeping dairy... cows because I
drank so much milk
And they believed me.
- Was that the NME or the...eh Melody Maker?
- No it was a Japanese pop show called something like FUNKY TOMATO or
something like....normally called something like that.
- And were you on this show?
- What... in Japan?
- Yeah (hehe)
- Are you big in Japan?
- Umm..(heh)..not really no
- Now where have you been 'cos you've been working on a new
album...right? Have you just been hanging out and having a good time? Did
you... did you... did you get stress in your back like I do and think
you'll just relax for a while?
- Yeah... I've been... um... sleeping in fact Dr Quinn's bed
- Medicine Woman? [TV PROGRAM]
- Oh... cool ten past six tommorow ITV but "TFI Friday" [stands for
THANK FUCK IT's Friday] on the other side [ "TFI Friday" is an
entertainment TV show hosted by Chris (the DJ interviwing Robert)]
- I know.... I.... I know, but obviously I can't watch it
- 'Cos you'll be watching "TFI Friday"
- I'll use the video... y'know
- Now Noel Gallager [Guitarist from OASIS] is on our show [TFI Friday]
- Yep I heard
- Would you like me to ask him a question on your behalf?
- I've been racking my brains trying to think of a question, I can't
think of one that's.... umm.... any good
- Why don't I call you back tonight in my own time, on my own phone.
I'll pay for the call (crew laughs) to your house. I'll call you back at
about half five tonight for a question for Noel Gallager.
- By the time
I'm sure I'll have thought of one. I'm a bit Robbie Fowlered out at the
- Are ya?
- hehehe. Robbie was ehh.... What do you think.... what do you think his
state of mind was?
- Umm... I can actually emphisize pretty much 'cos I feel I've been up
all night in the MOATHOUSE as well!
(Laughter from everyone)
- But you see the... this is I read from my notes here that you....you
actually claim to live a different life to everybody else... you sleep
opposite hours to the rest of the world?
- Would that... would that me true?
- This is a little bit late for me to go to bed though normally I like
to be tucked up by about... seven (It's nearly 9 am)
- 7 'o' clock, so you really do go to bed in the day as if you work
- But of your free will?
- Do you find yourself waking up about mid-day?
- Umm... yee... yes, well the thing is there is a constant battle 'cos
see the rest of the band live... kind of normal hours so we pass sort of
in the late afternoon/early evening.
- But do you find it hard to sleep?
- Thats why it takes so long to record 'cos we only sort of see each
other for a couple of hours a day
- It's not the most convient of ways is it... to get together?
- Do you find yourself though... in... your....find it difficult around
mid-day to sleep
- Umm... Not really 'cos if anyone makes a noise then I... I sack them!
- You sack them?
- Oh the power, the power of the lead man in the Cure! (Robert cackles
in the background as Chris says this last line) WOW how cool is that?
- You're gonna go to bed soon... ehh... you've got your new single
out.... It's called the "13th"
- The album's on the way
C; Are you gonna come on our show? [Meaning TFI Friday] On the big show?
- I'd love to... yeah
- When ya gonna come on? What ya gonna do for us?
- Anytime you want us to
- Ok... well come on in the next eh... were only on for another 3 weeks
before we have a little break... then we're back for 6 weeks before the
summer. Eh... we want ... eh... we want any song from your album.... it's
up to you
- And we want an oldie
- But I dunno which oldie, I... LOVECATS?
Male Crew Member: INBETWEEN DAYS?
- INBETWEEN DAYS?
Female Crew Member: 17 seconds
- CLOSE TO YOU [I know this is supposed to be CLOSE TO ME but Nobody
bothers to correct Chris], CLOSE TO YOU is a beautiful song
Male Crew Member: Good good good goood song... yeah
- So how long we like playing for... half an hour ?
- Yeah... you can play for half an hour. Yeah. We'll do a Noel Gallager
special tonight and I'll get a question off Noel for when you come on
- And you can swop celebrity questions
Female Crew Member: Yeah!
Robert: (high pitched) OOOW [A bit like the one at the start of High]
- How big a deal is that?! Ok Robert I've gotta go because if I don't go
now I can't play your song before I go off the air!
- And I know you want me to
- Ok Robert have a nice sleep
- Thank you very much
- Sweet dreams, that's Robert Smith and this is the brand new single
from the Cure.
Last Revised: Monday, 15-May-2006 14:59:58 CDT
maintained by: Verdugo