Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « GGDs tour returns to Pitt Center »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   GGDs tour returns to Pitt Center
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: GGDs tour returns to Pitt Center  (Read 429 times)
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

GGDs tour returns to Pitt Center
« on: Oct 27th, 2010, 8:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Goo Goo Dolls tour returns to Pitt Center
Sean Spillane, Staff Writer
Published: 07:24 p.m., Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The members of The Goo Goo Dolls are all in their 40s, but for at least some stops on the band's fall tour, they're heading back to college.

For lead singer-guitarist Johnny Rzeznik, these shows give him the chance to interact with the younger fans who volunteer to help out at the gigs.

"Colleges are a lot of fun for us because most of the local crew are students and it's fun to meet 18- and 19-year-old kids who are really into music," Rzeznik said in a recent phone interview from Indianapolis.

"They're not getting paid -- I think they get a T-shirt, that's about it -- but they come out and they always want to talk and hang out and there's just such a youthful exuberance to them."

It also allows Rzeznik the chance to get feedback from fans who weren't even born when The Goo Goo Dolls released their first album in 1987.

"Yes, it drives home the point that I've been doing this longer than I haven't been," said Rzeznik, 44, who will perform with the band Thursday night, Oct. 28, at the Pitt Center at Sacred Heart University in Fairfield. "I've been in this band longer than I haven't been."

Rzeznik and bassist-singer Robby Takac, 46, founded the band in Buffalo, N.Y., in 1986 with drummer Mike Malinin, 43, getting on board in 1995. Since Malinin's arrival, the lineup has remained unchanged, which is a feat in itself for a rock band.

"Yeah, you know, sometimes I wonder, `How come we've never quit?,'" Rzeznik joked. "I ask Robby that all the time.

"(I think) it's because there's always some tiny little victory involved. There's always something that keeps you going.

"I mean, I tried to learn how to play golf and I can't do it. It's not in my DNA. But when I was trying to learn how to play golf, there's always one shot that you got that kept bringing you back. There's always a little victory somewhere."

The Goo Goo Dolls are on tour promoting their latest album, "Something for the Rest of Us," which came out in late August.

The reaction from the fans has been solid, as expected, debuting at No. 7 on the Billboard magazine album chart, and the song "Home" also has met with chart success.

"It's a really great feeling," Rzeznik said. "You never know how it's going to turn out, but it turned out to be really great. Our audience is always awesome."

The singer also was pleasantly surprised by a series of strong reviews for "Something for the Rest of Us" by the music media.

"It's good for us. We're used to getting slapped around by music critics," he said. "It used to bug me, but once (a bad review's) out there, people look at it and then it's gone. Now the rest is up to us and for regular people to decide."

When The Goo Goo Dolls started their present touring cycle, it was well before the new album's release, giving the band the relatively tough task of introducing material to an audience that hasn't heard any of the new stuff.

Rzeznik and the band decided to use that newness to their advantage.

"It's really interesting because, in the beginning, if people haven't heard a song before they come to see you play live, they kind of stand there and go, `I'm not sure if I like this or not,'" he said. "So, what I did was encourage people to take out their video cameras when we were playing the new songs and post them up on YouTube. It wound up being a really great way to promote the new album.

"So people would post the new songs up on YouTube and then you'd start to notice that about three or four days later people were singing along to songs that weren't even out yet. That was really cool. I thought that was a great way to introduce the new stuff to people that were coming to see us."

And, for Rzeznik, there was "an added side benefit."

"When you tell people to put stuff on YouTube, it drives the record company nuts," he said with a laugh.

With the success of The Goo Goo Dolls, Rzeznik also has earned a few honors along the way. None has been as meaningful to him as his June 2008 honor when the Songwriters Hall of Fame presented him with the Hal David Starlight Award, which is given to "gifted songwriters who are at an apex in their careers and are making a significant impact in the music industry via their original songs," according to the Songwriters Hall of Fame's website.

"That was a great night," Rzeznik recalled. "It was nice to be recognized by your peers, by people that you respect. The night we were there, it was incredible to see the people in that room.

"It was really, really gratifying ... better than a Grammy. I (never) think of myself as the `rock star' guy. I'm a songwriter and that (award) means more to me."

The Pitt Center is at 5150 Park Ave., on the campus of Sacred Heart University, Fairfield. Thursday, Oct. 28, 8 p.m. $22. 203-371-7846 www.shutickets.com.
http://www.newstimes.com/entertainment/article/Goo-Goo-Dolls-tour-return s-to-Pitt-Center-724785.php
IP Logged

If you need help, please email me at [email protected]

DWG

Email

Re: GGDs tour returns to Pitt Center
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27th, 2010, 9:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Ahh, you got it. I was just coming to post it.  
Thanks, Shannon.

I thought it was funny how John said he was in the band longer than he hasn't been.

I'm looking forward to this show tomorrow.
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2010, 9:14pm by Dances_with_Goo » IP Logged
Christina
Goo God

I got a head that don't let me sleef

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: Oct 28th, 2010, 11:59pm »

Setlist from tonight! Cheesy

Sweetest Lie
Big Machine
Slide
Dizzy
Here is Gone
Another Second Time Around
Smash
Can't Let it Go
Black Balloon
Home
Better Days
Stay With You
Now I Hear
Tucked Away
Name
Let Love In
As I Am
Iris
---
Not Broken
Broadway
IP Logged

"i have never wanted something so badly as having people just show up at ggd concerts dressed as presidential fruit"
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 12:01am »

Thank you!!
IP Logged
robbieboy
Naked

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: Nov 4th, 2010, 1:11pm »

Review from the Sacred Heart University Spectrum here....
http://media.www.sacredheartspectrum.com/media/storage/paper747/news/201 0/11/04/News/Goo-Goo.Dolls.Bring.something.For.The.Rest.Of.Us.To.See.In.Return.To.Campus-3954017.shtml
IP Logged

RobbieBoy (NaMeD gOo)!!

"I think I love you but I ain't saying nothing you don't know."

Follow me on Twitter: @RobbieBoy1234
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]