Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « GGDs on America's Got Talent tonight! Video added »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   GGDs on America's Got Talent tonight! Video added
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: GGDs on America's Got Talent tonight! Video added  (Read 3776 times)
DWG

Email

Re: GGDs on America's Got Talent tonight! Video ad
« Reply #10 on: Sep 16th, 2010, 4:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

For cryin' out loud,  
nads...nodes...

he sounded fine to me, jeez.
IP Logged
Pon
Goo God

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

ai3oynamedgoo
View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Sep 16th, 2010, 5:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

He sounds okay, but do you deny that his voice changed significantly in the last few years, and he just doesn't sound as good as he use to. He's not able to hit the higher notes. This is really serious, especially if you're a singer.

I'm thinking that the goo's may end up just releasing albums and performing once in a while in the future...if at all.

on Sep 16th, 2010, 4:27pm, DWG wrote:
For cryin' out loud,  
nads...nodes...

he sounded fine to me, jeez.

IP Logged
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Sep 16th, 2010, 5:39pm »

John never had vocal cord nodules as far as the public knows.  He did have a hematoma on one of his vocal cords in spring 1999 and they had to cancel about a week's worth of tour dates while it healed.

The hematoma was a result of singing wrong for many many years.  John sung from his throat instead of his stomach (or wherever you're supposed to sing from) and he got guidance to correct the problem (hence the vocal exercises he sometimes jokes about).  I don't know why everyone freaks about about his voice in 2010 when the huge change happened in 1999.

Also, your voice changes as you get older and it probably changes more when you use your voice more.  John's voice has definitely deepened.  And I don't think I need to say Robby's voice has deepened.

All that being said, I think John's voice sounded fine for the weird paced performance.  I also think he sounds very good in concert, where he's actually in his own element.  And anyone who doubts that John can sound good, go listen to the Sirius Coffee House performance of SFTROU.

IP Logged
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Sep 16th, 2010, 5:41pm »

on Sep 15th, 2010, 11:08pm, Shade wrote:

Also, I hope John's not just wearing those Rosary beads but is praying them, too.

I'm not speaking for John because I cannot know if and how he practices religion but...

Rosary beads are unfortunately a fashion statement now.
IP Logged
Pon
Goo God

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

ai3oynamedgoo
View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Sep 16th, 2010, 6:05pm »

But we didn't have youtube in 1999. Right now, you can listen to hundreds of good performances at any time and see differences in his voice. You couldn't judge by going to one goo performance once a year.

Most people are paying and listening to John...not Robby...unfortunately. Robby only had 2 songs in the new album...nobody is really complaining, but there would be an uproar if John only released 2 songs and all Robby songs.

John's voice changed for the worst in the last decade and he doesn't sound as good as before. He still sounds good, but u just have to be realistic. It's a realistic concern that could end his singing career or slow it down.  Just listen to something in 1995.

on Sep 16th, 2010, 5:39pm, sftrOu wrote:
John never had vocal cord nodules as far as the public knows.  He did have a hematoma on one of his vocal cords in spring 1999 and they had to cancel about a week's worth of tour dates while it healed.

The hematoma was a result of singing wrong for many many years.  John sung from his throat instead of his stomach (or wherever you're supposed to sing from) and he got guidance to correct the problem (hence the vocal exercises he sometimes jokes about).  I don't know why everyone freaks about about his voice in 2010 when the huge change happened in 1999.

Also, your voice changes as you get older and it probably changes more when you use your voice more.  John's voice has definitely deepened.  And I don't think I need to say Robby's voice has deepened.

All that being said, I think John's voice sounded fine for the weird paced performance.  I also think he sounds very good in concert, where he's actually in his own element.  And anyone who doubts that John can sound good, go listen to the Sirius Coffee House performance of SFTROU.

IP Logged
DWG

Email

« Reply #15 on: Sep 16th, 2010, 7:06pm »

on Sep 15th, 2010, 10:50pm, Pon wrote:
Great video...not sure what people are complaining about?

IP Logged
DWG

Email

« Reply #16 on: Sep 16th, 2010, 7:11pm »

on Sep 16th, 2010, 5:39pm, sftrOu wrote:

John sung from his throat instead of his stomach (or wherever you're supposed to sing from) and he got guidance to correct the problem...  

Also, your voice changes as you get older and it probably changes more when you use your voice more.  John's voice has definitely deepened.

I think you mean he's supposed to sing from his diaphragm.

And very true about the voice getting deeper with age.  
Example: This is why a Bon Jovi audience now gets to sing all the high notes during a performance of "Livin' On a Prayer", lol. (Dude just sticks the mic out at the crowd like, "uh...you do this part!" Either that or they do an alternate acoustic version to hide the fact that he can't hit the high notes anymore. As if.   Roll Eyes  )
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2010, 7:17pm by Dances_with_Goo » IP Logged
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Sep 16th, 2010, 7:43pm »

on Sep 16th, 2010, 6:05pm, Pon wrote:
But we didn't have youtube in 1999. Right now, you can listen to hundreds of good performances at any time and see differences in his voice. You couldn't judge by going to one goo performance once a year.

Most people are paying and listening to John...not Robby...unfortunately. Robby only had 2 songs in the new album...nobody is really complaining, but there would be an uproar if John only released 2 songs and all Robby songs.

John's voice changed for the worst in the last decade and he doesn't sound as good as before. He still sounds good, but u just have to be realistic. It's a realistic concern that could end his singing career or slow it down.  Just listen to something in 1995.

No, we didn't have youtube in 1999, but it was still possible to see and hear live performances if you wanted to seek them out.  They also had more frequent television performances to see.  If you compare 1999 to 2010, their performances were MORE scrutinized in the past because people would watch them again and again because they weren't so spoiled to instantly have 100s at their disposal.

John acknowledges that he does plenty of things that are not good for his voice but it's the decision he makes.  If he was concerned that his voice would deteriorate to the point his career would end, I think he'd do something about it.  Also, his career is more than hitting each note (which I still say he does fine with) and I don't think he'd consider himself a singer above a songwriter or all around musician.

Furthermore, to say his voice was good and is still good (but maybe not AS good), but that his career will potentially end because of it is insane so I don't even know why I'm trying to make sense of this.

*Also, I don't care who the masses listen to.  The day Robby stops singing (minus a medical issue), I'm out of this fandom.
IP Logged
DWG

Email

« Reply #18 on: Sep 16th, 2010, 7:47pm »

on Sep 16th, 2010, 7:43pm, sftrOu wrote:

No, we didn't have youtube in 1999, but it was still possible to see and hear live performances if you wanted to seek them out.  They also had more frequent television performances to see.  If you compare 1999 to 2010, their performances were MORE scrutinized in the past because people would watch them again and again because they weren't so spoiled to instantly have 100s at their disposal.

hence my ridiculous collection of old VCR recordings from the 80's and 90's.
fun, yo.
IP Logged
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Sep 16th, 2010, 7:53pm »

SERIOUSLY.  It was a big deal when someone would make you a 4th generation of a VHS tape and you did not care about the lines running down the screen.  Now people cry on Youtube because videos are standard instead of HD.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]