Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « Robby interview/confirms 2 greatest hits CDs »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   Robby interview/confirms 2 greatest hits CDs
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  4 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Robby interview/confirms 2 greatest hits CDs  (Read 4222 times)
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

Robby interview/confirms 2 greatest hits CDs
« on: Jul 27th, 2007, 2:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Goo Goo Dolls' bass player interview
BRENDA SHOFFNER  
Friday July 27th, 2007  

Goo Goo Dolls bass player Robby Takac feels the pressure technology is putting on his music, and he embraces it.

“It’s up to us to be astronauts or the Allman Brothers,” he says philosophically. “I choose astronaut.

“It’s tough. You know how it is these days. You have to do everything but actually drive the record out to somebody’s house, and even then they might not take it.
“The CD is going the way of the U.S. mail system and everything else that has suffered at the hands of the Internet.”  

Takac called from Manhattan last week where the band had just finished taping an episode of A&E’s new series “Private Sessions.” It airs at 8 a.m. Sunday.
They will be in concert Wednesday night at the Pensacola Civic Center with Lifehouse and Colbie Caillat opening.

The Goo Goo Dolls — which also includes lead singer John Rzeznik and drummer Mike Malinin — have enjoyed a successful career that dates back more than 20 years. Their 2006 album, the gold-certified “Let Love In,” has produced four hit singles to date, including the title track.

Right now they’re riding the crest of “Transformers” mania. Their song, “Before It’s Too Late,” is featured in the movie as the love theme.

“It’s huge, man” Takac says. “It’s definitely given us some spotlight time on this summer tour.”

Takac hasn’t had a chance to see the movie but he’s seen the video of “Before It’s Too Late,” and says, “I’ve heard it’s like a little condensed version of the movie.”

“That rooftop is real, by the way. While we were doing it, I was afraid people would think it’s CGI, but it just happens to be a building eight blocks from where Johnny and I live.

“We got permits and rented a chopper and threw a guy with a camera in it and off we went. When you’re involved in something with a scope like (‘Transformers,’) we felt like we needed to do something marginally epic ourselves.”

It’s not the first time the band has written for the movies.  

“It’s refreshing not to have to write about yourself for a change,” Takac says. “It gives us a chance to do new things and not necessarily have to worry about it being a major career statement.

“It can just be a one-off. And sometimes it turns into something great. You know, ‘Better Days’ was a one-off. ‘Iris’ was a one-off. So we’ll see how this one fares.”
Takac is at a bit of a loss to explain the Goo Goo Dolls’ longevity.

“I think it’s just … Hooo, I don’t know, man. It’s funny. Anybody who’s not around us would think we’d last eight months.

“I think it’s a combination of growing up doing this and having, somewhere inside us, the desire to have it be better each time. And, I think, as of late, a pretty heavy dose of just ignoring a lot of what’s been going on around us.

“It’s hard. The record industry is disassembled. Nobody knows what’s going on, and it’s making people make really, really, really rash, unreasonable decisions.”
Takac says bands today have to be savvy about a lot more than they used to.

“We’ve never been one of those bands that puts a song out and the song goes to No. 1. That’s never happened to us, ever.

“We put a song out and it enters the charts somewhere down in the 40s and we work, and then it goes to No. 1. That’s how we do it.”

Takac is excited about the Internet and the possibilities it has created for the Goo Goo Dolls.

“We had trouble in Europe for years,” he says. “Here we played to huge crowds. Over there it was the bartender and his girlfriend, who resented being there.

“Now the rules have changed. With MySpace and YouTube and the Internet in general, people can choose instead of being force-fed what record labels what them to hear.

“We have 255,596 people who’ve requested to be our friends on MySpace! Do you know how much it would cost for our label to reach a quarter of a million people?  

“I have access to these people myself. It’s exciting and unnerving.”

Takac says the Goo Goo Dolls plan to release two greatest hits CDs in the fall a couple of months apart.

One will collect only the band’s Top 10 radio hits; the other will be more of a career-spanning retrospective.

“We’re a pop band and making a tidy package of radio songs makes sense,” he says. “But we do so much more than that, and the second CD will have more added content.”  

The Goo Goo Dolls’ affiliation with the USA Harvest charity is another project Takac gets excited about.

“We’ve been working with them for about seven years and the food collected has been enough to provide 2 million meals that stay in the local communities,” he says. “At the last show, 600 cans were brought in.

“It’s all grassroots. It runs itself. All I have to do is talk about how cool it is.”  

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/article/7334
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2007, 2:43pm by Shannon » IP Logged

If you need help, please email me at [email protected]

DWG

Email

Re: Robby interview/confirms 2 greatest hits CDs
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27th, 2007, 2:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

How about some career-spanning super secret underground, never heard-em-before tracks?

I don't ask for much, eh?
IP Logged
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 27th, 2007, 3:13pm »

OMG, Drew, too many thoughts.  

'Top 10' tracks, not actually 10 tracks.  I imagine by the fall, BITL will be in the top 10 to make it 13 singles.  Which would be nice, because I'd like to own BITL in cd form.  The thought of buying GALB for a 5th and 6th time makes me want to die, though.

I'd love some unheard tracks and rarities, but that's really not the "greatest hits".  Still, if there has to be a greatest hits cd (or 2, apparently) it'll be bearable if they put out the videos on dvd.
IP Logged
djgeneral
Dizzy

GOO GOO DOLLS

adaytobeaone
View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 28th, 2007, 3:05pm »

I will not buy the greatest hits CD. I have all of their hits...and I'm not rich. as for the second disc, I prob will check tha tout
IP Logged

My first Goo Goo Dolls concert: August 26!
Freedom Hill in Michigan.
Yay!
Christina
Goo God

I got a head that don't let me sleef

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: Jul 28th, 2007, 8:52pm »

on Jul 27th, 2007, 3:01pm, Drew wrote:

Also: Will you buy both of them, no matter what, to support the band? Or will most of you skip the first one?

Nope. Regardless of who it is, I won't buy a greatest hits CD if I've already got everything that's on it. If I want to do something to "support the band", I'll just go to one of their shows -- they get more of the money that way anyway.

But I'll pick up the second disc if it includes something interesting. A DVD would be super nice too but I'm not getting my hopes up.
IP Logged

"i have never wanted something so badly as having people just show up at ggd concerts dressed as presidential fruit"
Pon
Goo God

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

ai3oynamedgoo
View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jul 28th, 2007, 10:08pm »

that's wierd to have a EOAC part 2, with the same songs....

I don't think i will buy either 2.
IP Logged
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 29th, 2007, 10:02am »

One of CDs is already available for pre-order on Amazon. It doesn't list the track list yet though.

http://www.amazon.com/Greatest-Hits-Goo-Dolls/dp/B000SUKPKM/ref=sr_1_9/1 05-2967338-3838807?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1185721405&sr=1-9
IP Logged

If you need help, please email me at [email protected]

Pon
Goo God

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

ai3oynamedgoo
View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jul 29th, 2007, 7:45pm »

If it's an eoac type of album, it's very likely that most of the songs on it already appeared on EOAC. I just don't think they're gonna pull out "I'm awake now"

on Jul 28th, 2007, 10:37pm, Drew wrote:

They haven't confirmed the songs on either album yet, we've just been speculating.

IP Logged
Pon
Goo God

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

ai3oynamedgoo
View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jul 29th, 2007, 9:52pm »

I think there are a few John songs that they could use....but it's not enought to fill a full CD. I don't think this is a EOAC 2 type of CD. It's gotta be a totally different CD with repeats. I dunno....I just don't think it's a good idea overall...but maybe it's becuz they got plans in the future and want ppl to be able to buy a lowscale versio nof EOAC cuz EOAC is too much.
IP Logged
Nicole
Goo God

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jul 29th, 2007, 10:24pm »

I need to buy EOAC.  Undecided
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  4 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]