Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « Goo Goo Dolls get reacquainted -- for the sake of »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   Goo Goo Dolls get reacquainted -- for the sake of
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Goo Goo Dolls get reacquainted -- for the sake of  (Read 902 times)
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

Goo Goo Dolls get reacquainted -- for the sake of
« on: Aug 2nd, 2007, 8:15am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Goo Goo Dolls get reacquainted -- for the sake of the band
BY ALAN SCULLEY CORRESPONDENT

For a time before work began on Goo Goo Dolls' latest CD, "Let Love In," the three members weren't sure if remaining a band was in the cards.

"We came as close to breaking up as we have in a decade," bassist Robbie Takac said in a recent phone interview.

One issue was frustration over the expectations of the band's record company, Warner Bros. After moving more than 5 million units (and reeling off four hit singles) with 1998's "Dizzy Up the Girl," the follow-up, "Gutterflower," sold a modest 800,000 copies.

There were also internal band issues that had to be addressed between Takac, guitarist-vocalist Johnny Rzeznik and drummer Mike Malinin.

"Sometimes I don't relate to those guys, and they don't relate to me, and we don't relate to each other," Takac said. "You know, we spent so much time on the road; we were a little sick of each other, and we were a little bit disappointed that our last album didn't do as well commercially as the one before."

So as a first step toward a new CD, Rzeznik, Takac and Malinin convened at Rzeznik's Los Angeles studio for what turned out to be much more than a songwriting session.

"We had started trying to write songs and do all of that kind of stuff," Rzeznik said. "But we mostly wound up sitting around and talking and really trying to understand each other again. I had expressed to those guys how I was feeling. I just feel numb."

To further their partnership, the band decided to return to their hometown, Buffalo, N.Y., to work on the CD.

Both Rzeznik and Takac voiced their extreme satisfaction with the result, "Let Love In," with Takac calling it the best CD Goo Goo Dolls have made during a career that began in 1986.

That satisfaction will be apparent as the group plays Tampa's Ford Amphitheatre on Saturday, Takac said, as the live set will feature much of the new material.

"We went into this record really feeling like we should be able to work it and play the whole thing from start to finish," he said. "In the set itself, what we're doing is pretty much playing the new record plus nearly everything (else) people want to hear."  

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20070802/FEATURES/708020611
IP Logged

If you need help, please email me at [email protected]

mylondoncalling
Naked

View Profile Email

Re: Goo Goo Dolls get reacquainted -- for the sake
« Reply #1 on: Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:43pm »

cool article Cheesy.. thanks for sharing!
its weird because you never actually picture them fighting or anything. hmmm  Undecided
IP Logged

"Don't it make you sad to know that life is more than who we are?"
Pon
Goo God

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

ai3oynamedgoo
View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:15am »

Awesome and sad article. It's nice though to hear them be blunt like that. Sometimes the best way to grow is to be apart from each other.
IP Logged
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Aug 4th, 2007, 11:57pm »

on Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:43pm, mylondoncalling wrote:
cool article Cheesy.. thanks for sharing!
its weird because you never actually picture them fighting or anything. hmmm  Undecided

I've actually always pictured them all trying to kill each other like every other day.  They all live in too close of quarters to be sunshine and rainbows with each other 24/7.  Cheesy
IP Logged
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 6th, 2007, 9:55am »

on Aug 4th, 2007, 11:57pm, the red o wrote:

I've actually always pictured them all trying to kill each other like every other day.  They all live in too close of quarters to be sunshine and rainbows with each other 24/7.  Cheesy

That's what I picture too. Them fighting like a bunch of brothers. I'm sure it's love/hate all the time.
IP Logged

If you need help, please email me at [email protected]

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]