Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « John and his guitar (or lack thereof) »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   John and his guitar (or lack thereof)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: John and his guitar (or lack thereof)  (Read 3485 times)
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

Re: John and his guitar (or lack thereof)
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11th, 2007, 6:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have NO idea why he's not playing the guitar as much and I miss it terribly. He's said in several interviews that he doesn't feel like a good guitar player. I wonder if it's more of a confidence issue? Or maybe he's trying to hide behind his guitar less and interact with the crowd more? I don't know....I just miss him playing.

As far as John not singing during Iris.... I've often wondered if it's a vocal issue. Singing that song night after night is probably a huge strain on his vocal chords. He may be doing that as a way to preserve his voice and get the crowd into the show since it's typically a crowd favorite. You never know he could be going on advice from his vocal coach. That's definitely a way to cheat and save the voice. I dunno  :dunno:  That's the only reasonable explanation I can think of.
IP Logged

If you need help, please email me at [email protected]

DWG

Email

« Reply #21 on: Feb 11th, 2007, 6:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Feb 11th, 2007, 6:40pm, Shannon wrote:

As far as John not singing during Iris.... I've often wondered if it's a vocal issue. Singing that song night after night is probably a huge strain on his vocal chords. He may be doing that as a way to preserve his voice and get the crowd into the show since it's typically a crowd favorite. You never know he could be going on advice from his vocal coach. That's definitely a way to cheat and save the voice. I dunno  :dunno:  That's the only reasonable explanation I can think of.

I noticed JBJ started doing the same thing with "Livin' On A Prayer" as he got older. Like he couldn't reach the high notes, so he stuck the mic out to the audience to sing it. Here's a thought: change the key you're singing the song in.
IP Logged
ChickenCookie
I'm Addicted

When he takes me in his arms I see la vie en rose.

View Profile

« Reply #22 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 9:13am »

on Feb 11th, 2007, 6:40pm, Shannon wrote:

I agree with you on this, Shannon.  I think those high notes in Iris are getting tougher and tougher for him to reach, both as he gets older and as the late nights, incessant touring schedule and cigarette smoke wreak havoc with his voice.  I remember seeing them perform once while John was quite sick, his voice sounded awful, and he actually stopped the music before the big high note in Iris and said he needed the audience to help him sing that part.  Back then it may have been evidence of a temporary problem due to being under the weather, but it seems it's becoming the norm these days.  

Denise, that half-caster picture is awesome!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2007, 9:14am by ChickenCookie » IP Logged
Heather
Naked

View Profile Email

« Reply #23 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 6:08pm »

Ok, I Haven't been posting on here much but I couldn't pass this one up.
Personally, I am a musician. I play in a ( Don't laugh because its good S^%t) Southern ROck/80s Hair  Band.
So I intend to explore many different kinds of  music and I look for  Certain things  in  a song.
I love LLI. Granted at the fact that  Yes, it's different from any other GOO album but I do love it, It's got some great songs on there such as " Can't let it Go"  and "Feel the Silence". Awesome tunes in my mind.

As  for John's playing. I do totally enjoy  his playing. I would love to  hear more of it, But I am not  going to throw the towel in so to speak if he chooses never to play again. There are some things that I may not like and  that is when you take the bad with the good. Others may not  feel this way and that is really cool, everyone has an opinion and they are very well titled to speak it.
And in no means am I saying  that all musicians  know more than those you  aren't. I am just using the fact that I tend to like different things because I was raised in a house where everyone loved and played different styles of music, so please don't get  me wrong  I am not coming down on anyone. Sometimes  my talent is like a curse.
And who knows, John may feel that way sometimes about his guitar playing.  I have been playing since I was 6 years old.  I am 23 now and sometimes I regret  the talent that God gave me. Maybe John has those moments LOL.
But all in all, I love  the guys and always will.

Heather
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]