Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « John and his guitar (or lack thereof) »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   John and his guitar (or lack thereof)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: John and his guitar (or lack thereof)  (Read 3486 times)
Gutterrose
I'm Addicted

"And it's up up up I'm headed for this evening" RT

View Profile

Re: John and his guitar (or lack thereof)
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11th, 2007, 2:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I haven't been on this board in forever but interesting topic. I feel many songs on this cd are not as "real" . The songs seem more paint by numbers than creative art. The lyrics on a couple of songs are good but when the chorus kicks in it's hard to swallow. These are the songs that are penned by Rzeznik and Ballard. I think I know where the producer assistance came in. It all seems a little formulated. Which brings me to the topic at hand. I've been to several shows on this tour as I still love to see this band live and only part of the show has fallen into the formula.  
I personally do see some guitarless Bon Joviesque moves. I actually laughted at a move I saw. It's just not the John we are used to seeing. But the new fans are eating it up, along with the formulated parts of the new songs that irritate me. But I won't throw in the towel either until he goes full jazz hands and starts shaking his ass. But you know they've lost fans before maybe it doesn't matter much to them anymore. Maybe $ is better than artistic expression? But I know this would never be admitted. People love Bon Jovi but I just don't see the "art".
The best part of the show for me is when John actually plays his guitar! Keep Naked on the setlist! Maybe I am just a bar band person.
And I love the "If you pull a tree too far from it's roots...", let's hope that doesn't happen!
IP Logged
DWG

Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 11th, 2007, 3:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I agree with you totally, Gutterrose.
The "Let Love In" cd has still failed to fuel any interest in me to this day. I have to admit, I still have not purchased it, in any of its various forms (cd, dvd, extra-special QVC edition...you name it), and I doubt I ever will. I know it would just sit on the shelf, not a cd I would grab for a listen. I tried listening to the songs, and they just fell flat for me. I'm still a fan of the band, but I gravitate to the material from the Hold Me Up through Gutterflower eras.  
I'm unable to grasp why the sudden change in style from what we knew as the Goo Goo Dolls to what was presented on the most recent cd. I still attend their shows, but no longer go nuts trying to get the best seats/position on the floor, whatever. I don't totally believe the changes are a result of the guys getting older; that is not an overnight phenomenon. I agree with you that a lot of the change was probably the input of Ballard. There's something less exciting about the new material. It's supposed to be optomistic and happy, but it makes me depressed. No cutting-edge lyrics,  a lack of change-up between verses and choruses. Instead of an interesting bridge, they offer silence.  
I have also chuckled at some "Bonjoviesque moves" I've seen during the shows. Having come from being a big Bon Jovi fan, I can appreciate what you're saying there. However, Bon Jovi also drove me from being an avid fan to a casual one, particularly when they pulled that "This Left Feels Right" thing. Well, it didn't feel right to me. I certainly hope John Rzeznik doesn't resort to JBJ aerobics either, I wouldn't want to be caught laughing at the sight of that.
I guess I've already probably said too much, but it's how I feel.  
I'd like to see John continue playing the guitar, hell I've been wishing he would pull out the electric guitar more often. They should mix up that setlist more. Play some of the old stuff. I don't think anyone needs to hear Give A Little Bit again. Surprise us. Expose the new fans to something they haven't heard (ie: something not on LLI, something other than Iris, which may very well be the only Goo songs they know). Change is good to a point, but morphing totally into something other than what brought you long-term success in the first place is unwise.
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2007, 3:22pm by Dances_with_Goo » IP Logged
ChickenCookie
I'm Addicted

When he takes me in his arms I see la vie en rose.

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Feb 11th, 2007, 4:34pm »

I think the QVC thing has already put the Goos in JBJ cheese-ball territory.  I winced when I heard about their appearance there, and I didn't watch it, either live OR on the net.  I can't say as though I'm sad about that, either.

As for sounding like a garage band ... by all means!  Please do so!  I personally - and I don't think I'm alone here - would much rather hear that scruffy, snotty, punky-yet-optimistic rock of HMU, SSCW or ABNG than the glossy, over-produced, so-slick-you-can-skate-on-it limp pop music of LLI.  Though I did shell out for the CD, I haven't listened to it since I bought it and probably won't.  Like DWG, it doesn't leave me feeling hopeful and positive, but rather depressed and sad.  

Back when Treasure Planet came out and John made a few appearances to promote I'm Still Here, I was struck by how awkward he seemed without the guitar strapped around him, as if his hands had nowhere to go.  Now, he appears much more comfortable with it, and that is too bad.  When I first became a fan of the band, I couldn't believe that such sonically-impressive music was created by just three guys.  I, too, would like to know the real reason John doesn't want to/can't play guitar like he used to.  

I also agree on everyone's assessments of Brad.  He's certainly a fine guitar player, but sometimes I wonder if a cardboard cut-out and a guitar track set on autoplay would achieve the same results.  No personality whatsoever, though perhaps that's exactly Rzeznik wants.  That way he remains the star.
IP Logged
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Feb 11th, 2007, 4:43pm »

on Feb 11th, 2007, 2:18pm, Gutterrose wrote:
I haven't been on this board in forever but interesting topic. I feel many songs on this cd are not as "real" . The songs seem more paint by numbers than creative art. The lyrics on a couple of songs are good but when the chorus kicks in it's hard to swallow. These are the songs that are penned by Rzeznik and Ballard. I think I know where the producer assistance came in. It all seems a little formulated. Which brings me to the topic at hand. I've been to several shows on this tour as I still love to see this band live and only part of the show has fallen into the formula.  
I personally do see some guitarless Bon Joviesque moves. I actually laughted at a move I saw. It's just not the John we are used to seeing. But the new fans are eating it up, along with the formulated parts of the new songs that irritate me. But I won't throw in the towel either until he goes full jazz hands and starts shaking his ass. But you know they've lost fans before maybe it doesn't matter much to them anymore. Maybe $ is better than artistic expression? But I know this would never be admitted. People love Bon Jovi but I just don't see the "art".
The best part of the show for me is when John actually plays his guitar! Keep Naked on the setlist! Maybe I am just a bar band person.
And I love the "If you pull a tree too far from it's roots...", let's hope that doesn't happen!

I like you.  You should come around more often.

And A+ to everyone getting this thread on topic again.
IP Logged
DWG

Email

« Reply #14 on: Feb 11th, 2007, 4:49pm »

on Feb 11th, 2007, 4:43pm, the redo wrote:

I like you.  You should come around more often.

And A+ to everyone getting this thread on topic again.

Agreed.

And, yeah...late last night my brain was too tired to put into words what I needed to say. I had to "sleep on it". Maybe I should've stuck to the "pictorials"!   Lips Sealed

Thanks to Denise for sparking the discussion.
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2007, 4:55pm by Dances_with_Goo » IP Logged
d.e.n.i.s.e.
Goo God

aka "the orange o"

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Feb 11th, 2007, 6:19pm »

on Feb 10th, 2007, 11:30pm, DWG wrote:

I couldn't even find a picture of him playing the "Half-caster". Remember that?

You mean this one?  

PS I love the pic you posted  Grin
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2007, 6:22pm by d.e.n.i.s.e. » IP Logged

[img][/img]
d.e.n.i.s.e.
Goo God

aka "the orange o"

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Feb 11th, 2007, 6:21pm »

on Feb 10th, 2007, 11:41pm, the redo wrote:

And then the flailing of the arms... don't even get me started...

How about the dropping to his knees for Become? Where's the little barfing smiley face?

And didn't he used to make fun of JBJ's moves?
IP Logged

[img][/img]
d.e.n.i.s.e.
Goo God

aka "the orange o"

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Feb 11th, 2007, 6:24pm »

on Feb 11th, 2007, 4:34pm, ChickenCookie wrote:
I think the QVC thing has already put the Goos in JBJ cheese-ball territory.  I winced when I heard about their appearance there, and I didn't watch it, either live OR on the net.  I can't say as though I'm sad about that, either.

As for sounding like a garage band ... by all means!  Please do so!  I personally - and I don't think I'm alone here - would much rather hear that scruffy, snotty, punky-yet-optimistic rock of HMU, SSCW or ABNG than the glossy, over-produced, so-slick-you-can-skate-on-it limp pop music of LLI.  Though I did shell out for the CD, I haven't listened to it since I bought it and probably won't.  Like DWG, it doesn't leave me feeling hopeful and positive, but rather depressed and sad.  

Back when Treasure Planet came out and John made a few appearances to promote I'm Still Here, I was struck by how awkward he seemed without the guitar strapped around him, as if his hands had nowhere to go.  Now, he appears much more comfortable with it, and that is too bad.  When I first became a fan of the band, I couldn't believe that such sonically-impressive music was created by just three guys.  I, too, would like to know the real reason John doesn't want to/can't play guitar like he used to.  

I also agree on everyone's assessments of Brad.  He's certainly a fine guitar player, but sometimes I wonder if a cardboard cut-out and a guitar track set on autoplay would achieve the same results.  No personality whatsoever, though perhaps that's exactly Rzeznik wants.  That way he remains the star.

Yes, yes, yes and yes!

I think this is a good question for the IM Q&A - that is if they're still doing that. They skipped January. I think I'll submit it and hopefully we don't get the standard "we sound like a garage band" answer (if we even get an answer.)

IP Logged

[img][/img]
Gutterrose
I'm Addicted

"And it's up up up I'm headed for this evening" RT

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Feb 11th, 2007, 6:29pm »

Thanks. I just needed to get it off my chest. I left the shows scratching my head wondering what has happened. Then I sort of came to my conclusions. It all makes me sad but it's good to know I'm not alone.  
Apparently the lack of guitar and working the audience is getting the desired reaction. At least that is what I've seen. Although the cd sales aren't any better than Gutterflower from what I've heard.
I did buy the cd but I don't even know where it is right now. That never happened with any of my other Goo cds.  

I will take something away from Brad's guitar skills. I don't think much of Brad as a guitar player or a presence. Greg Suran is definitely a superior guitar player. I watched, I think it was a CD USA thing or something and Brad ruined Black Balloon. It was bad. I can surely tell the difference when Brad is playing that song and some others. Ok I'll shut up now.

IP Logged
DWG

Email

« Reply #19 on: Feb 11th, 2007, 6:33pm »

on Feb 11th, 2007, 6:19pm, the orange o wrote:

You mean this one?  

PS I love the pic you posted  Grin

Yusssssssssssssss! The Descendents guitar! When I saw him playing that thing all busted up like that, I thought that was pretty cool.

The "flailing of the arms" thing...is that kind of like an Ozzy Osbourne homage? I think Ozzy looks so goofy when he comes onstage doing that "give Grampa a big hug" flailing-of-the-arms gesture.  
I am also getting tired of the part where the crowd has to sing the entire chorus for Iris. For a while I thought that was cool, but when it happens over & over, I begin to think, "who's getting paid to sing here...me or the performer?" If it's a balance between him and the audience taking turns, alright. But don't stick the mic out to the crowd more than you use it yourself.

"You sing!"  
"No! You sing!"
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2007, 6:34pm by Dances_with_Goo » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]