Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « Toe.Ron.Toe. (now with Pictures!) »

The World of Goo Boards
   Off Topic Board
   Archived Concert Review and Fan Pictures Forum
(Moderators: Shannon, MFC, Adela)
   Toe.Ron.Toe. (now with Pictures!)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Toe.Ron.Toe. (now with Pictures!)  (Read 3538 times)
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

Toe.Ron.Toe. (now with Pictures!)
« on: Jul 24th, 2006, 11:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It's long.  Make sure you're comfortable and have a snack.

Oooookay... so my sister and I went up to Toronto for the show tonight.  She's pretty indifferent, she just went because I asked her to.  It's about a 2 hour drive.

To start, crossing the border there were no issues.  They didn't even ask for IDs.  That's weird.  usually when I cross borders, they're popping my trunk, asking me how I know the people I'm with, and generally scaring the hell out of me.  Then, we got to Ontario Place without a single wrong turn.  Weird.

At about 6:30 we headed into Molson Amphitheatre.  I had bought tickets for Section 202, row D.  In other words, it is the center section and one section back. Section 102 has no elevation, so I figured my seats would be decent, but not mindblowingly awesome.  So we go down and we're eye level with the stage and about 50 feet away.  We determined there was a single seat on each side of us.

So, The Working Title starts playing.  I liked them.  I thought they were pretty good and it takes BALLS to get up ad play to a crowd who doesn't give a damn about you.  The lead singer was later seen roaming in the 100s in his sweaty shirt talking to security and pretty girls.

The amphitheatre filled up fast.  If it wasn't sold out it was really really close.  I couldn't see any empty sections and it was absolutely beautiful out, so I'm sure it was near capacity.  Two guys one seat over from me were utterly fascinated by me.  They heard us cheer for being from Buffalo (a dude on the stage asked who was from Buffalo) and asked me whether I attended the Darien Lake show, and I explained my sister's wedding conflict.  They asked a couple other questions throughout the night.  It was, well, weird.

So, here's where it gets really bizarre.  Run Like Hell goes on and I'm getting ready to get on my feet and the Goos come out and nothing.  The three rows in front of me don't move.  To the right and left, no one moves.  Behind me, in my section, no one gets up.  Now I'm conflicted.  I want to get up.  But no one else is standing.  I'm afraid if I stand up, I'll have a mass of angry people behind me yelling at me.  So SWY is playing and I'm sitting there.  I tell my sister I've never sat at a concert before and she is slightly confused as well.  But I guess when in Rome...Finally during the start of Black Balloon (4th song, I know, cast your stones) these girls in the front row of the section in the corner stand up.  I say "Fuck this, I'm standing" and get up.  This caused the people behind me to stand and so on and most of the section behind me is on their feet.  When Black Balloon ended and Smash started, everyone sits down again.  I was up and staying up.  I was waiting for someone behind me to make me sit, but I received no angry comments.  At the beginning of Smash Robby actually said "And this is for all the people with their asses glued to the seats for some reason".  Anyways, for the rest of the show, scattered people only got up when the big hits were played.  As a result I, who was standing, pretty much had no one in front of me the whole show.  The first 14 rows were dropped so that my feet were equal with their heads and the rows in front of me were sitting so from my waist up there was nothing in my way.  To add to this, the single seat next to my sister never was filled.  The seat next to me was occupied briefly during the Goos set and then she didn't return by the time we left, halfway through the CC set, so we had lots and lots of room.  We were eye level with the stage so for about half of Tucked Away I swear Robby was singing directly to me, who was obviously singing along.

Now, I enjoyed the show.  I'm not a fan of LLI, but all of the songs were heavier live.  I only wish they had been recorded the way they're played live.  The Goos sounded good and seemed to be in good spirits (except the one aforementioned Robby comment).  They didn't talk too much except to say hi, introduce some songs, dedicate Better Days to the troops, and John made a comment about wanting to learn how to make ugly guitar solo faces (which he likened to looking like you're taking a crap.  Yes, he did act it out).  The setlist was the usual.  I'll list it below.

But, while I enjoyed the show, I can't help but admit it was super distracting in the audience.  I originally figured that I somehow ended up in the middle of the CC fanclubs seats and they were all just showing disinterest because it wasn't their band.  However, when the Crows came on, same thing.  No one stood.  Occassionally someone would get up and take a picture and they would sit back down.  So I have no idea who these people were.  This is the center section eye level with the stage and about 10 rows of sitting people (except me  Cheesy ).  I can't even imagine what the bands were thinking because this is what they were seeing staring straight out.  Just weird.

The Counting Crows were cool.  I enjoyed them more than I thought I would and I think would have enjoyed them more if I was familiar with their songs.  They're very interactive and Adam seems like he's tearing out his soul when he's performing.  I thought it was really intimate.  I think the Goos are about playing loud music (which I love) but I kind of wish they were as open as Adam seems to be while performing.  I loved their light show too.  It fits the music very nicely.  We left after about 50 minutes of the Crows to beat the traffic.  We had a long drive and we're still recovering from wedding festivities.

In conclusion, good performance, but weird weird audience.  I've seen the Goos play in 7 feet of snow, I've seen them play in a private small show, I'm seen them in the biggest rainstorm of my life and this will forever stand out as the weirdest concert I've ever seen.  I don't think I'll be rushing out to see them again unless they're the sole headliners and even then, I'm weary of ever going to a show outside of Buffalo.

Setlist:
Stay With You
Slide
Feel the Silence
Black Balloon
Smash
Tucked Away
We'll Be Here
Iris
Listen
Broadway
January Friend
Better Days
Let Love In

Encore:
Become
GALB
Without You Here

The Goos played for exactly 68 minutes.  The Counting Crows went onstage at 9:35, so if they played until 11, that would mean they had a 85 minutes, but I can't confirm that as I had to leave.  
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2006, 12:50pm by nmf016 » IP Logged
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

Re: Toe.Ron.Toe.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25th, 2006, 12:35am »

Pictures!  My skills/camera clearly suck, but oh well.  Robin on It's All Goo posted some amazing pictures.  Any picture you see with a head is a rare occasion where someone decided to stand.  You can assume that was a hit song...

« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2006, 12:43pm by nmf016 » IP Logged
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 25th, 2006, 1:20am »

Sitting through the whole show?? ... that's got to be the strangest thing I've ever heard. It must have been so weird for the bands too. It's the complete opposite of the Detroit show where everyone was on their feet the entire time.  

I forgot to mention The Working Title in my review. I really liked them too.  

I'm glad to hear you like LLI a bit more live. I had a feeling you would. They're always so great live.  

I too am hoping the Goos are solo for the next leg of the tour. You can feel comfortable traveling to Detroit...according to John we're kindred cities....and we don't sit through shows. Wink
IP Logged

If you need help, please email me at [email protected]

crazy4goo
Goo God

take what you need...take what you need...from me

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 25th, 2006, 9:45am »

hey thanks for your review...I enjoyed it!  I felt like the crowd at Columbus was a bit "reserved" too...kind of a bummer huh?   A smaller venue, with them headlining makes for a better experience if you ask me...

I'm trying to figure out your subject title...Toe.Ron.Toe...please explain!
IP Logged

collegeunm
Goo God

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 25th, 2006, 10:17am »

I liked your review, very nice and I agree their new songs are great live, of course I like the songs the way they were recorded for the record but they are even better live with a little more rock in them.

The Albuquerque show everyone was standing so I could imagine that it would quite wierd to be at a goo concert and so many people sitting down.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Shannon
IP Logged
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jul 25th, 2006, 12:46pm »

on Jul 25th, 2006, 1:20am, Shannon wrote:

I too am hoping the Goos are solo for the next leg of the tour. You can feel comfortable traveling to Detroit...according to John we're kindred cities....and we don't sit through shows. Wink

Okay, if sister #2 decides to get married on the next Goo show, Detroit will be my alternative.   Cheesy

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out your subject title...Toe.Ron.Toe...please explain!

An incorrect pronunciation of Toronto?  I guess it would really be Tore-on-toe.  Of course, with my fabulous (awful) Buffalo accent, it probably comes out Ter-ON-to.  
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2006, 12:49pm by nmf016 » IP Logged
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

Re: Toe.Ron.Toe. (now with Pictures!)
« Reply #6 on: Jul 25th, 2006, 12:58pm »

Your pictures do NOT suck. I thought they were good. How nice though to have an unobstructed view ... something I can only dream about  Cheesy I guess if I want a clear view I should go to a Toronto show ... lol  The sad thing is if I was the only one standing I still wouldn't block anyone's view ... lol
IP Logged

If you need help, please email me at [email protected]

collegeunm
Goo God

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jul 25th, 2006, 1:38pm »

your pictures are AWESOME!!! Thanks for sharing them with us.

Shannon
IP Logged
crazy4goo
Goo God

take what you need...take what you need...from me

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jul 25th, 2006, 3:59pm »

on Jul 25th, 2006, 12:46pm, nmf016 wrote:

An incorrect pronunciation of Toronto?  I guess it would really be Tore-on-toe.  Of course, with my fabulous (awful) Buffalo accent, it probably comes out Ter-ON-to.  

LOL!  I see it clearly now!  haha...me being from Ohio and living in Mississippi for the last four very long years I can relate to the accent thing!  "yer not from around here are ya?"  Duh Roll Eyes

thanks for sharing your pics

IP Logged

YoursGOOLY
Goo God

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jul 25th, 2006, 5:17pm »

Thanks for the great review AND photos! I hate when people sit down at concerts. Go home and watch TV after you give ME your closer seat! Grin

I was getting dirty looks at the Summerfest show. I think there were CC in front of me. (all 23 rows of them)  Roll Eyes *sigh*
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]