Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « Atlanta Review »

The World of Goo Boards
   Off Topic Board
   Archived Concert Review and Fan Pictures Forum
(Moderators: Shannon, MFC, Adela)
   Atlanta Review
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Atlanta Review  (Read 1227 times)
Aprilell
Naked

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Atlanta Review
« on: Sep 4th, 2006, 10:45am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, I have never posted before but I was at the Atlanta show last night and wanted to give my opinion.

I have seen the Goo Goo Dolls six times since 2001 and last night's show was the best by far.  It just wasn't long enough!  

I totally agreed with the one review that said after watching the Goos, it was very hard to watch the Counting Crows.  I didn't know the Counting Crows were 'headlining'.  I put that in quotes because the Goos obviously blew them off the stage from the word go!

I am also a Counting Crows fan (but not the kind that would pay money to see them) so I was excited that they were coming with one of my favorite bands and it would be a double show.  However, after the Goos rocked the house, I could not sit through the Crows babbling 15 minute version of 'Round Here' and my husband and I actually left because we felt they were ruining our mood!  haha.

The Goos looked and sounded better than any other time I have seen them!.  I was disappointed that I didn't get to hear older stuff like 'Naked' and 'Long Way Down' or even "Dizzy Up' but I realized they were playing under a time constraint. So,all in all, it was definitely worth it.  I just don't think the mix of these two bands was a good idea.  I, too, had trouble with Counting Crows fans.  We were in a section where NO ONE stood up.  I HAD to stand on "Feel the Silence" as it is my absolute favorite song ever by John and I was almost crying because I didn't think he would even sing that.  The girl behind me asked my husband to make me sit down.  I was not happy.  Our whole section never moved during the whole Goo set and I just could not figure that out.  Then  when the Crows came out, they went wild.  This got under my skin also which was another reason I left.  I know I shouldn't be that way but you can at least give the 'other' band some respect when you are seeing a double show and be open minded about it.

The Goos were amazing!  Nothing else to say!
IP Logged
iris3732
Goo God

I can feel it like a curse.

View Profile

Re: Atlanta Review
« Reply #1 on: Sep 4th, 2006, 11:48am »

on Sep 4th, 2006, 10:45am, Aprilell wrote:
However, after the Goos rocked the house, I could not sit through the Crows babbling 15 minute version of 'Round Here'

I agree. What the HELL was that? Well, my section was pretty good about standing for both sections - though people behind us at one point told my friend to sit down which I didn't understand.

I went with 3 friends; one was there for the Crows and she sat down during the Goos. Whatever. They rocked.

I have to say my favorite song by the Crows is Anna Begins...so I was stoked when they opened their set with that but....it was such an odd version. For a while I thought Adam Duritz might be drunk. I did like when they brought the opening band back out for Hangin' Around. (I think at other shows the Goos came out for that but I guess by that time last night they'd already left.)

But back to that other band....yeah, the Goos' set was amazing. My other friend said she didn't realize she knew so many of their songs. I was like of course you did - they always make sure to play their hits in shows like these.

I loved John's banter during their set - of course I can't really remember it right now but he seemed to be in a good mood.

They played (in no order) Stay With You, Slide, Feel the Silence, Broadway, Iris, Name, We'll Be Here (When You're Gone), Better Days, Smash, Tucked Away, Black Balloon, January Friend, Here is Gone (!!! - was not expecting this one). Encore was Become and Give a Little Bit. I was also surprised Robby didn't play Strange Love or Listen. I thought they did a good mix, though.

Hopefully SSCW and ABNG stuff will be more prominent in their headlining tour.
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2006, 11:49am by iris3732 » IP Logged

all I can do is try not to screw this up again
and just be friends
i'd rather be dead
~the marvelous 3

you say it's a good thing
that you float in the air....
~weezer
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 4th, 2006, 11:50am »

Thanks for your review Aprilell and welcome to the board.  

I'm so happy you had such a wonderful show to see. Too bad some of the crowd had to be such wet blankets during the Goos set. I agree that is so disrespectful.  

Quote:
However, after the Goos rocked the house, I could not sit through the Crows babbling 15 minute version of 'Round Here' and my husband and I actually left because we felt they were ruining our mood!  haha.

My husband and I had a similar experience at our show and ended up leaving midway through the Crows set too.
IP Logged

If you need help, please email me at [email protected]

rzezniksangel
Goo God

rzezniksangel
View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Sep 4th, 2006, 7:04pm »

Thank you for your reviews!!!

I was on such a Goo high at my show that I left after their set.  No CC for me.  After all of the negative things I had heard about their performance, I wasn't about to stay and have it ruin my great mood.  I was in line buying merch when they came on, and I don't even know what they were singing, but I was glad I was far away for it....
IP Logged
JohnnysValentine
Goo God

LS3041   Lauren3540
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 7th, 2006, 9:40am »

I was at that show! It was fantastic!! I wish they could have played longer, but any GOO show is a GOOd show!

Lauren
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]