Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « USJ review »

The World of Goo Boards
   Off Topic Board
   Archived Concert Review and Fan Pictures Forum
(Moderators: Shannon, MFC, Adela)
   USJ review
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: USJ review  (Read 2316 times)
BFLOg00gurl2oo
Goo God

i shall call him squishy, & he shall be my squishy

View Profile

USJ review
« on: Jul 8th, 2004, 3:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

ahh, i'm finally home...which is not something I'd usually be saying after a concert in Buffalo, but hey, when you're stuck without the internet at a condo for a week.. it's a little different.  I just have to say, in spite of EVERYTHING, the rain, crowd surfers etc... THAT WAS THE DAMN BEST GOO SHOW I HAVE EVER OR WILL EVER SEE... I'M NEVER FORGETTING IT!
so my reivew...and please forgive me, I know you guys have heard this all a billion times by now, but it’s so long….
wow, just wow.  There are NO words to describe yesterday.  My voice is shot and I'm running on 7 hours of sleep, I'm sore and everything is soaked, but I'd go do it all over again because, well, it was just beyond words
We finally left Ellicottville around 2, warning everyone to pray that it woudn't rain. Got there around 3:30, found my friends, and found out that no one was being let in because of a crane in front of the stage.  Well, fine better for me...
So we sat around until they let us in.  Then, when they did, I grabbed Mairghread's arm and ran like hell, leaving Suzy and Dan in our dust.  WE GOT 2ND FREAKING ROW!!! Dan and Suzy found us, but still weren't as excited... well, that's their problem!  More and more people kept showing up, Dan went to get us water bottles so we wouldn't die, and Suzy went to sit down because she felt sick.  I finally made my way out to get a shirt (the back one with all the bands on the back) and more water.
FINALLY the show started, after I had to sit on Dan's feet because I was dying.  Before it started, there were people around us we were talking to... the people behind us made a sign, and now I realize that I was right near some WOG people... damn it!  Anyways, we struck up a conversation with this girl from Kansas, Brett, who was so awesome!  If you're out there girl, HEY!!!  Thanks for putting up with us lol...it was so great to meet you!  Not that we were anything compared to the people behind us that we kept making fun of… God, that guy needed to shut up!
The first guy came on... we all sort of looked at each other like "wtf?!", but he was pretty cool.. ya know, some funny stuff.  It started to rain during his set, which felt good only because it was hot.
So in between sets, I get a call my from my family in Ellicottville telling me that the rain is coming and to be careful.  Yeah, I’ll take my chances… as long as it doesn’t lightning.  Ani came on, I LOVED her, she was so great.  Of course, it started to pour during her set, and she had to stop for safety, but she did come back out.  Something about a cell phone dropped down a toilet… and in between the waiting, something about us all dying because the stage would crush us if it fell.  Then of course there was the “virgins never die” rule thrown in there, and we realized that while we would live, the guys might not…
Anyhow, Ani came back out and finished her set… and then we had to wait for the goos.  It felt like FOREVER!!!  We started getting all excited, talking with the people around us about random little goo trivia, Dan just looked at me like I was nuts.  I had to sit on his feet again, but by this time I was soaked so it didn’t matter much…and I was standing in more water.  Brett, Meg, and I started screaming, and as we put it “I feel so much like a teenbopper, but I don’t care right now!!!”
FINALLY the goos came out, and let me tell you, it was amazing!  The rain had stopped and we had hoped that it would hold off, because we saw that long set list (which I’m SURE didn’t all get played, does anyone have a copy?!)  I was kinda scared when people started crowd surfing, but I would done it maybe, possibly… but we were close so…I just didn’t wanna get killed.
IP Logged

AnGeLa

They don't even know what it is to be a fan. Y'know? To truly love some silly little piece of music, or some band, so much that it hurts.
~almost famous

The Rock Star Spell
...starry nights, my name in lights...
...screaming fans to my delight...
...i'll do it all, i'll sell my soul...
...because i <3 my ROCK 'N ROLL!...
BFLOg00gurl2oo
Goo God

i shall call him squishy, & he shall be my squishy

View Profile

Re: USJ review
« Reply #1 on: Jul 8th, 2004, 3:29pm »

here's the rest....

At one point, Johnny sprayed our area of the crowd with water, which felt so nice because it was getting humid again, but mostly because that is the one and only time I will ever get sprayed with water from Johnny Rzeznik…I didn’t just say that!  They did Big Machine, Think About Me, Dizzy, Naked, Slide (which was amazing, because everyone was singing.. not that they weren’t before.  The whole time I could hardly hear about the people shouting!) and then Smash, Tucked Away, and January Friend(this isn’t in order, by the way!)  John read off some signs… the one about Polish guys, and then Brett threw her sign up there about coming from Kansas.  So he’s reading it off, and Dan, Meg, and I are all frantically pointing to her, and he looks at us all and is just like “That’s yours?  Oh that’s so cool… yeah a lotta people came in, thanks so much!”  *major freak attack!*  At some point around What A Scene, I think Robby smiled at me and my friend because we were going crazy… but I’ll never know.
Instead of snow during January Friend, we got rain…again.  This time it was like a freaking monsoon…They kept going though, through Black Balloon, Sympathy, Cuz You’re Gone, and What a Scene.  I’m sorry if I was supposed to call anyone during those songs, but my phone wasn’t working and it didn’t start working again until the next day because of all the rain.
They had to stop because of all the rain… and now I find out they were gonna call it then, but of course, being the cool, kick-ass Buffalo people the guys are, it was just “Screw this rain…”  Before this was the John taking off his shirt thing (“I have seen the promised land!” lol to Meg and Brett)  John came back out and did Acoustic No.3 and 2 Days in February, which made the people behind me happy because they made the sign for that.  Not to mention it was such a rock and roll moment, having John sliding around the stage.  Then of course there was Broadway, which the crowd was singing SO loud!  Confetti was going everywhere, and I was covered.  My shirt still isn’t clean.  That was the moment that just made me realize what a cool concert this was though… I mean, they were in Buffalo, with this giant crowd, singing Broadway, just my absolute favorite song and it’s about Buffalo, and God, it just made you go “wow…”
They finished with Iris, and then threw out the guitars.  Major fiasco over Johnny’s guitar, which got passed way back in the crowd.  Robby’s was caught by someone right up front.  But anyways, the security guys had to go back and get the guitar… something happened, and Brett got the guitar!  Which is so cool…I asked her at one point when it was pouring what she thought of Buffalo, and she’s like “This is the best place ever!”  I hope everyone who came loved it, because I absolutely LOVE living here, and it’s really awesome, despite our crappy weather!
So then they did Give A Little Bit, which was great!  Except I got hit by a crowd surfer and was hoping it wouldn’t happen again.  The fireworks were awesome, and this girl comes up saying something about her friend who she was supposed to surf up with, but the girl fell and her friend made it over.  I told the girl to be careful next time and helped security pull her over the fence.  
We finally made our way out and I had that hour ride home in the car, soaking wet, and trying to write my article.   All I could think about was how crazy the night was, how much pain I was in.  But I’d do it all again in a second…the goos are the absolute coolest!  They were right when they said that only here would we stand in the rain for 7 hours to see them.
I didn’t bring a camera because I didn’t think a disposable would be any good, as per my experience last time, but Brett’s going to send me pics, and Meg got some too, so I’ll post those when I get them from them.

also, if you want another article...http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20040707/1016952.asp  I don't think anyone posted it yet...
IP Logged

AnGeLa

They don't even know what it is to be a fan. Y'know? To truly love some silly little piece of music, or some band, so much that it hurts.
~almost famous

The Rock Star Spell
...starry nights, my name in lights...
...screaming fans to my delight...
...i'll do it all, i'll sell my soul...
...because i <3 my ROCK 'N ROLL!...
MBMGrand
Goo God

AGirlNamedMB
View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 8th, 2004, 4:10pm »

Thanks for the awesome review! No need to be sorry over it being long, I love all the details you added! I'm so happy to hear you had a good time! Cheesy
IP Logged

Mary Beth
SunShowerSharon
Goo God

sharon_scinta   NEWYORKSHARONN
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 8th, 2004, 4:22pm »

Great review. I was not too keen on the crowd surfers myself. Infact I have never witnessed anything like that at a Goo show. It was crazy. If you get that many different people mixed with booze and music on a holiday things are bound to get wild.
 I enjoyed the show so much. However I appreciate the respect that other Goo fans show eachother at Goo concerts. I just took it for granted. Now I see what can happen when people don't care about others. At least the Goo fans know that we all feel the same way. So we kind of look out for eachother. I have just got to meet you sometime. I love your posts on this board. I live in Rochester so maybe at the next Goo event we can meet. You sound very cool.  

Take Care,

Sharon
IP Logged

“It’s better to regret something you DID than to regret something you DIDN'T do”

Billy Joe Armstrong ~ Green Day
RenoGooGirl
Goo God

Goo Who?

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: Jul 8th, 2004, 6:08pm »

I keep reading these reviews....wow.  It sounds like you guys all had an awesome time.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
IP Logged

Peace & Goo,
Tammie aka RenoGooGirl

ShanGooFan
Goo God

Goo Goo Dolls Rock!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jul 8th, 2004, 6:21pm »

I loved your review. Everyone has a little different of a story or a new experience to add. Thanks for sharing. I read your article yesterday ... it was posted on another board. When I saw the name of the author I knew it was you. Great article. I was in Buffalo on the 30th and fell in love with your city. Everyone we met was so hospitable and just great. I'm looking for an excuse to come back.  Country and I met two great ladies at the show and they wanted us to come back and stay with them so they could give us a tour of the city. When the show was over we forgot to exchange emails. I'm really bummed because they were so nice. I'm really regretting not getting their emails when we first talked  about it.  What a great city filled with great people. You're so lucky to live there Smiley
Shannon
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2004, 6:22pm by ShanGooFan » IP Logged

~Shannon~

"Music means to me.. ah...breathing. It's a heartbeat, it's rythm and it's passion. It's therapy. It's .... breathing". ~Keith Urban~

Silvergirl
Goo God

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 8th, 2004, 8:30pm »

sorry we didn't get to hook up but it seems you were to the left of us :nanner: :nanner: i had a great time i also was crushed by a drunk crowd surfer LOL

but i would do it all again......that show will live in my memory forever!!!!!!!

Teri~ Grin
IP Logged
Silvergirl
Goo God

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 8th, 2004, 8:31pm »

i take that back you were to the far right of us Grin
IP Logged
LandofOzGooFan
Goo God

There's no place like Goo!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jul 8th, 2004, 8:35pm »

Where was this Brett from, what town in Kansas? Is she on the boards? I need another road trip partner! There aren't enough of us out here in the Sunflower State. Loved your review and didn't you have an article in the paper too? I thought you did and it was great!
IP Logged
d.e.n.i.s.e.
Goo God

aka "the orange o"

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jul 8th, 2004, 8:41pm »

I was right next to you!!! I was in second row to the left of Johnny. You must have been pretty close behind the girl with the Chicago sign??

Awesome review. I haven't written anything long or with much substance, just lots of random/miscellaneous thoughts and memories.

Buffalo ROCKS!
-denise
IP Logged

[img][/img]
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]