Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « Calling all guitar players »

The World of Goo Boards
   Off Topic Board
   Musicians Forum
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   Calling all guitar players
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Calling all guitar players  (Read 1492 times)
Kristinagoo
Dizzy

Its freezing in the corner of my mind

kristnamia
View Profile

Calling all guitar players
« on: May 25th, 2004, 9:56am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Can anyone recommend a good guitar magazine? There are like 10 of them and I don't know which one to choose. I play acoustic and electric and am pretty much a beginner...Thanks!    Kiss
IP Logged

stratoshorty

Email

Re: Calling all guitar players
« Reply #1 on: May 25th, 2004, 11:49am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

damn i wish i could answer that...there are alot of stuff going around...i usually dont bother with magazines for my guitar playing needs...what is it that u need from the magazine? maybe i'll remember one that has what ur lookin' for...
IP Logged
Dances with Goo

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 25th, 2004, 1:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

It gets confusing when the names of the magazines all kinda sound the same.

My favorite used to be Guitar for the Practicing Musician, but I'm not sure if it's still being published. I haven't seen it around here lately.

I have a subscription for GuitarOne. It's alright...features current artists & their music, as well as some classic stuff.

There's also Guitar World and Guitar World Acoustic, which are good. John Rzeznik wrote a column for Guitar World Acoustic maybe about a year ago.  

I would NOT recommend Acoustic Guitar. It's a pretty magazine, but sort of snooty, and they rarely feature articles or  music transcriptions for the rock genre. It was a lot of stuff I was not very familiar with.

Subscriptions can come way cheaper than buying individual issues off the shelf, but you may also end up with a lot of issues that aren't of much of interest to you. That always happens to me. Right now I have a pile of GuitarOne's sitting here, which I've barely looked at.
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2004, 2:00pm by Dances_with_Goo » IP Logged
dizzilyblue
I'm Addicted

I have a Goo site.  :)  Yay.

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: May 25th, 2004, 6:28pm »

Yeah, I used to subscribe to Guitar One, but it was really just for the tabs.  A waste of money.  The 'zines are just collecting dust in my room too.  

Whether you're looking for accurate tabs or playing tips, it's nothing that you won't be able to find online.  I would save my money and not get any mags actually, but that's just me . . .

~ Amanda
IP Logged

Tumble dry low
munkyfish
Dizzy

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: May 26th, 2004, 11:24am »

total guitar.

accurate tabs. good articles. great lessons and loads of practice suggestions. no attitude. no overcomplicating things. you get a cd with all the tabbed stuff on audio.
it doesnt matter what level you're at, they cover all levels, and its mainly rock orientated.

i used to get guitar world but then they bumped up the import fee so it got too expensive for me. it was good, but i haven't read it in a while.
IP Logged

smoke me a kipper skipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Heather
Naked

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 2nd, 2007, 12:08pm »

Guitar World has dvd's  and cd's with  each issue. I play by ear but I recommend this one.
and also, dont spend 4 thousand  on a les paul or anything until you are ready and you don't want an old cheapo either. They can be difficult to chord and you have to have the neck adjusted and they might not stay in tune. It's best to have someone that knows about these things when you go shopping.

Good luck!

Heather
IP Logged
jfbrown42
Naked

Goo Goo noob

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Apr 15th, 2007, 3:17pm »

If you're pretty much a beginner "Play Guitar!" is the mag for you. It's for "beginners and developing guitarists."  
Their website is http://playguitarmagazine.com.
IP Logged

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]