Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « John to be a judge in 'Next Great' Fox series »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   John to be a judge in 'Next Great' Fox series
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: John to be a judge in 'Next Great' Fox series  (Read 2283 times)
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

Re: John to be a judge in 'Next Great' Fox series
« Reply #10 on: Aug 27th, 2007, 3:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

WTF.

I will say no more until I've recovered.
IP Logged
Skkyer
Dizzy

Just a Kiss Away

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Aug 27th, 2007, 6:49pm »

on Aug 27th, 2007, 3:24pm, Shannon wrote:
Yep. I'm going to reserve judgement as well. As opposed to the whole notion as he was, this must be a good setup or he wouldn't be doing it. We'll just have to trust his judgement for now.

I think you hit the nail on the head Shannon, we should trust his judgement.

No one can deny John knows a heck of a lot about music.  I think he will do wonderful as a judge.

I don't know about any of you, but sometimes I like to do something different in my work instead of the same darn thing every day, day in, day out.  This will be so different than anything John has done, but yet still having to do with music.

This is great publicity for the band.  Each week they will say "John Rzeznik, lead singer  of the Goo Goo Dolls!" or some such thing.  

As far as the Goo Goo Dolls, they still plan on putting out an album.  The show is one season a year, I believe.  So it is not like the show is a year around thing.  Come on now, we are talking a few months.  The auditions are being held already.  First show is in Oct.  It is not THAT much of a delay.  I trust this has all been taken into account by the band.  I honestly believe they had no intention of putting out a new album on the heels of the 2 albums coming out of the old material.  Now, I don't know anything, I'm just assuming.  But it seems logical to me they would give those albums a good chance to have a good run.  So it is all good.

I am very happy and excited about this project John is doing, both for him and the band.

Hugs,
Skkyer
IP Logged
d.e.n.i.s.e.
Goo God

aka "the orange o"

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Aug 27th, 2007, 8:58pm »

Maybe John is getting ready for a career in television, for when the GGDs are done. Huh Who knows what the hell he's thinking with this one.

It reeks of being a "has been" to me.  IMO, it doesn't seem like a good move.
IP Logged

[img][/img]
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Aug 27th, 2007, 11:08pm »

I really just wanted to let a picture say a thousand words.

But then I really thought about the whole thing for a little bit and can even see some positive effects of this.

Pro: New wardrobe every week.  No black sleeveless shirt.

Pro: Hair styled and not in John's face.

Pro: Seeing John on tv every week.

Pro: The press and new interviews that might come from this.  John on Leno, sitting in the guest chair?

Pro: The show could do well and make people interested in John's day job.  Could being the operative word.  Even if the show bombs, I think John is pretty likeable, so it might do them some good.

Anyways, just ignore my attempt to be positive.  My honest opinion is that the whole thing sucks.  I don't see the show taking off like American Idol and worry that it might even get cancelled.  Friday night is a death sentence.  The judges on all of these reality shows get scrutinized a lot, and I really don't want to see a whole new slew of people picking apart John or the Goos for whatever (we fans can criticize, because we do it with love).  I don't want to hear him described as a washed up rock star.  I can only hope John isn't the "asshole judge" because I don't want to have a lower opinion of him.

But beyond all of that, I really just feel this is totally out of the character of the John that I 'know'.  To be honest, as I've grown up, the Goos are not the band I listen to the most anymore, but I still call them my favorite band.  And the reason for that isn't just because I love their music, but I love the long crazy history of the band and I respect how they busted their asses to get where they are and earned every single piece of success they have by themselves.  And to see John getting in on a reality contest which fast forwards a band, however talented they are, into success (or national attention anyways) just really disappoints me.  I hope he's doing this because he either really believes he can guide these bands and help them or that he's getting a whole lot of money, because I don't see this going well at all.

*And I'm totally leaving out my thoughts on the whole "we're going from the tour straight into our studio in October" line we were given...
IP Logged
DWG

Email

« Reply #14 on: Aug 27th, 2007, 11:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Aug 27th, 2007, 11:08pm, the red o wrote:
 And to see John getting in on a reality contest which fast forwards a band, however talented they are, into success (or national attention anyways) just really disappoints me.

That's a really good point. I've never really thought about it, but I think this is much of the reason I have never watched the "American Idol"-type shows. People come out of nowhere, and bam, they're a household name, while other hard-working, talented musicians struggle to get acknowledged.
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2007, 11:55pm by Dances_with_Goo » IP Logged
Pon
Goo God

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

ai3oynamedgoo
View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Aug 28th, 2007, 8:21pm »

Wow, pretty cool. Celebs have to be beyond what they are nowadays and reality tv shows is the way to go. I wonder how John will really be like. This could be something that is bla or it could recreate his image and he'll become known as a TV idol more than a musician. That's cool though.
IP Logged
Caroline
Goo God

Member since 8/1999

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Aug 29th, 2007, 10:09am »

I'm surprised and a bit disappointed but I hope he gets a boat load of cash for his services. That will help defray the cost of the next tour or at least make a dent in his hair product expenses.
IP Logged

We watch the world from the padded cell
And our eyes scream what our lips must quell
"We'll Inherit the Earth" - Paul Westerberg
sympathy_0
Goo God

Never you mind.

View Profile WWW

« Reply #17 on: Aug 29th, 2007, 12:37pm »

HOLY CRAP IM WATCHING IT JUST FOR JOHN
IP Logged

www.youtube.com/forbuss
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]