Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « Goo Goo Dolls return to their roots / article »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   Goo Goo Dolls return to their roots / article
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Goo Goo Dolls return to their roots / article  (Read 482 times)
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

Goo Goo Dolls return to their roots / article
« on: Nov 27th, 2006, 7:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Goo Goo Dolls return to their roots

BALTIMORE - When most people think of Buffalo, they think of snow, icy blasts of wind and steel mills.

When Robby Takac of the Goo Goo Dolls thinks of the city, he thinks of home and innovation.

“I can tell you that this band has gone through a lot of phases, and I remember them all,” said Takac. “But we have never, ever been this excited about our future. This is as much a labor of love as it’s ever been.”

What’s fueling the excitement for Takac and bandmates Johnny Rzeznik and Mike Malinin is the energy they felt upon their hometown return where they originally met and formed the Goo Goo Dolls in 1986. They returned there recently to write and record their eighth album “Let Love In” and are now setting down some permanent roots there.

Buffalo in the 1980s was arguably the most innovative music arena in the state outside of New York City. The Continental and small punk clubs regularly drew big name acts in the making — such as R.E.M. and Billy Idol — inspiring many, including Takac and Rzeznik who worked there. It was in this atmosphere that the Goo formed into a scrappy punk rock trio, which went on to produce such classics as “Iris” and “Name.”

“I wasn’t really feeling any kind of real inspiration in Los Angeles,” Rzeznik said. “It was sitting [there] just beating my head against the wall trying to write songs and I wasn’t feeling inspired at all.”

Such lack of inspiration and pressures from the record industry to conform and crank out what they saw as bankable pop hits caused Takac and Rzeznik, who met when they were in college, to question if Goo Goo Dolls should continue.

“Everybody wonders why all the songs sound the same today. The reason is that the same people are writing everyone’s songs. That is just not us,” Takac said. “If we feel the lack of relevance, why continue?”

Instead, the group started working with producer Glen Ballard and went home to Buffalo.  

“We love this record,” said Takac. “And all of sudden new concepts started popping up for me as an artist. … That’s important. We always want to be looking forward.”

» Info: 800-551-7328 or www.ticketmaster.com  

http://www.examiner.com/a-421617~Goo_Goo_Dolls_return_to_their_roots.htm l
IP Logged

If you need help, please email me at [email protected]

Nicole
Goo God

View Profile

Re: Goo Goo Dolls return to their roots / article
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27th, 2006, 4:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thanks for the article!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]