Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « Robby Interview/ Article »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   Robby Interview/ Article
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Robby Interview/ Article  (Read 480 times)
Nicole
Goo God

View Profile

Robby Interview/ Article
« on: Nov 26th, 2006, 9:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The Goo Goo Dolls
Group to perform two shows in Maine
By LUCKY CLARK

Correspondent

It's been quite some time since The Goo Goo Dolls played Maine, and to make up for that, John Rzeznik (vocals and guitar), Robby Takac (bass and vocals) and Mike Malinin (drums) will be performing not one, but two upcoming shows -- Wednesday at the Bangor Auditorium and Nov. 24 at the Dome in Portland.

This platinum-selling, chart-topping band has released such Top 40 hits as "Name," "Isis," "Slide," and "Here is Gone" and has had hit albums like "A Boy Named Goo," "Dizzy Up the Girl," the wonderful live CD/DVD set titled "Live in Buffalo, July 4th 2004," and their brand new CD, "Let Love In."

In a recent telephone interview from Vancouver, British Columbia, Robby Takac, the group's affable bassist, was more than willing to chat about his band's upcoming Maine appearances as well as his own personal outlook on life in a rock band. Whether it's cracking up over the antics of Elmo on "Sesame Street" as the red, furry monster air-guitar's his way through "Pride" (a parody of "Slide") or playing in the pouring rain at a home-town concert in Buffalo, N.Y., Takac seems to be one happy man who really loves what he's doing.

"How do I encapsulate this in a sentence?" the bassist/vocalist said. "It's like you never believe when you're growing up that anything like this is actually going to happen to you so when it actually does happen to you, every morning you wake up it's another mini-miracle for you it's like 'Oh my God, this did really happen!'"

He explained that his band appeared on "Sesame Street" because he wanted to and had the record company call up the PBS show to pitch the idea. He also told about performing at the Olympics and the numerous times The Goo Goo Dolls have appeared on "The Tonight Show" or have traveled around the world performing.

"I swear to you," the bassist proclaimed, "every time I'm in one of these situations, there's this glimmer of being in a Burger King-bag-strewn van with a double mattress on the floor with all three of us staking out our portion of that double mattress. So," Takac said, "if it appears as though I'm having a good time -- I am, man, and I guess that that's the key to it for me!"

The trio's newest album, "Let Love In" (Warner Bros. Records) came out in April of this year.

"It's new just in the fact that I will use that work because that's what we're out here promoting but, to me, these songs are old friends already."

One of the 11 tracks that make up this hook-laden set really grabs one's attention -- "Listen," which Takac co-wrote with Rzeznik.

"It's a fun song," the bassist/vocalist declared, "Johnny and I actually wrote that much more in a tandem-type situation than we've written anything in an awfully long time. I mean, we've been doing this for two decades now, not many bands out there can say that -- we're pretty lucky."

What can fans expect at the band's upcoming shows?

"We're doing probably 70 percent of the hits that we've got plus nearly the entire new record, and it's a great show," Takac said. "For the very first time, we've actually rolled up our sleeves and jumped into the pre-production rehearsals with everyone and worked out video content for the screens and worked on syncing the show."

It's really different when the guys in the band sit down and work on the light show, he added.

"Because there's such a musical way of thinking, and when you become intimate with those songs it's amazing to watch. It's just a great, great show -- it's a big rock show and that's all!"

INFORMATION

WHAT & WHERE:

n The Goo Goo Dolls, 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Bangor Auditorium; (call 990-4444).

n also 7:30 p.m. Nov. 24, The Dome, 512 Warren Ave., Portland (call 878-0865).
http://morningsentinel.mainetoday.com/happening/stories/13326158.html
IP Logged
carlyn
Goo God

You drown in deeper oceans Inventing new religions

View Profile

Re: Robby Interview/ Article
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26th, 2006, 2:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

That's a great article, thanks for posting it!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]