Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « Ottawa newspaper review/fan.googoodolls WOG review »

The World of Goo Boards
   Off Topic Board
   Archived Concert Review and Fan Pictures Forum
(Moderators: Shannon, MFC, Adela)
   Ottawa newspaper review/fan.googoodolls WOG review
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Ottawa newspaper review/fan.googoodolls WOG review  (Read 2266 times)
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

Ottawa newspaper review/fan.googoodolls WOG review
« on: Nov 19th, 2006, 10:29am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

***Keep reading past the newspaper review. fan.googoodolls gave his review from the Ottawa show. It's a goodie!!!***

NAC, Ottawa - Nov. 17, 2006

Charming Dolls lack punk punch

By DENIS ARMSTRONG -- Ottawa Sun

OTTAWA - If the Goo Goo Dolls proved anything at Friday night's National Arts Centre gig, it's that if a little charm goes a long way, then a lot goes even further, right?  

Since forming in 1986, the scrappy punk trio, which originally modelled itself after alternative pop icons Husker Du and The Replacements, have transformed into romantic balladeers and hit-radio staples, with a trace of their former punk edge.  

After almost quitting last year, the Buffalo band is back with its eighth album, the hit-heavy Let Love In.  

While there was no shortage of hummable tunes, the 90-minute NAC set lacked spontaneity and honest-to-goodness rock 'n' roll voltage.  

After a long, tranquilizing video -- John Rzeznik, Robby Takac, Mike Malinin and two backing players -- virtually exploded onto the Southam Hall stage in a blast of light and guitar power chords with hunky lead vocalist Rzeznik teasing the adoring standing-room-only house with Stay With You and Slide.  

The band isn't just about pretty songs and hair. Big in the celebrity peace movement, Rzeznik started his on-again, off-again dialogue with the audience with a little Bush bashing and restating the band's infatuation with Canada. It struck me that if every American loved this country as much as they claim, Rockcliffe would be crawling with rock stars.  

As hackneyed at their script sounded, it nonetheless delighted the fans, who all seemed to be aspiring paparazzi with digital cameras. With photos flashing around him constantly (and impressive lighting on 24 screens behind), Rzeznik sang Feel the Silence and Black Balloon, before giving bassist Robby Takac the vocals on Smash and Tucked Away.  

What the elfin Takac lacked in vocal power -- his voice at times resembled a hunter's duck call -- he made up for, at least he tried to, in raw physical energy, slapping his bass and twirling constantly throughout their set.  

Judging by the fans' response, it was clear most came for Rzeznik's power ballads, such as Naked and the band's breakthrough 1995 hit Name -- a song he said he loves to sing to this day, even though it alienated many of their earliest punk fans.  

We'll Be Here, Rzeznik admitted, meant more to the band the longer its current tour lasted, and dedicated it to anyone from Buffalo, where, he added, one of the chief pleasures was Canadian beer.  

Meanwhile, 2,000 voices joined together in a singalong of the monster hit Iris that was featured in the film City of Angels and earned three Grammy nominations.  

Rounding out the set was Broadway, Better Days, the title track from Let Love In and a cover of the Supertramp tune Give a Little Bit.  

The defining moment of the concert came when Rzeznik joked that the song Sympathy was cursed because he could never remember the lyrics and that fans would have to help him get through it. When he did screw up, the audience was ready to jump in vocally to his rescue.  

While it was all just a bit of play, it seemed to be typical of the chemistry the band, specifically Rzeznik, worked to keep the fans at a feverish pitch. And, for the most part, it was a skillful bit of rock theatre on his part.  

Still, it's a bad karma, even if you're pretending, if you chronically forget your own songs. Especially when so many are as fundamentally forgettable as the band pretends.  

The Goo Goo Dolls were well paired with Hamilton singer-songwriter Tomi Swick, whose album Stalled Out in the Doorway works the same emotional territory, only better. Thanks to edgy alternative electro-pop and feisty lyrics, songs such as Easy Company, A Night Like This and Everything is Alright seemed to have so much more to say than any of the headliners' material could.  

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Artists/G/Goo_Goo_Dolls/ConcertReviews/2006/11 /19/2416958.html

« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2006, 12:04pm by Shannon » IP Logged

If you need help, please email me at [email protected]

zomg
Goo God

View Profile

Re: Charming Dolls lack punk punch/Ottawa review
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19th, 2006, 10:35am »

I was there Friday night; the reviewer is so wrong, but then again, why should I expect any decent journalism from a trashy newspaper like the Ottawa Sun.

The Goo Goo Dolls were on fire.  It was awesome show, and my first Goo show ever at that.
IP Logged
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 19th, 2006, 10:36am »

Your first Goo show? FANTASTIC! Are you going to write a review for us? Show us all what really happened in Ottawa.....screw the paper review....
IP Logged

zomg
Goo God

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Nov 19th, 2006, 11:43am »

Hmmm ... let's see ...

I arrived at the venue, the National Arts Centre (NAC), downtown by bus sometime after 5:30.  I hung out with my friend in the area until they finally let us into the giant 2,000 person capacity Southam Hall theatre for the show.

It wasn't too long before Tomi Swick and his band came out and played some of the great songs off his debut album, including the Canadian smash hit, A Night Like This.  I had only listened to his album, so I was really surprised how much more edgy it was live.  I think was a pretty great choice for an opening act for the Goos.

I managed to snap a few photos of Tomi Swick performing, and when I used up the rest of the film, I'll get them developed and posted (if I still remember by then).

And then came the Goos ... holy !@#$ ... my first time ever seeing them perform live, and what a thrill it was.
The opening with Stay With You just set the house wild.  Everyone was snapping pictures, except me, cause I was too starstruck and just amazed to be seeing them seven rows back from the front (I got my tickets through the Ticketmaster presale; I'm not an IM member, yet anyways).

Then came Slide, which I have to admit was pretty darn cool ... everyone in the whole place knew this song ... massive amounts of screaming and cheering the minute they started into that famous intro to it.  (Some people say the band is well known for Iris; I'd argue more people know them for Slide.)

After that, I can't really remember the setlist that well, but it was almost the same as the other gigs in Canada.
I'll give the highlights:

Black Balloon just left me breathless.  Anyone who knows me well, knows that this is my absolute favourite song, and apparently one of Robby's favourites too. Smiley
I saw a few black balloons floating around in the crowd, which I'm sure made Robby all misty-eyed (if you missed hearing Robby on 105.3 KISS FM Thursday morning, you won't understand that comment.)  I wished I could just hear them play this gem over and over again.  At the end, I was screaming my lungs out cheering; no one wonder I was hoarse yesterday.

Smash and Tucked Away were great.  Robby knows how to really get the crowd going.  He was bouncing around ever and making silly faces throughout; I thought his head and legs were gonna fall off at some point.  He's absolutely zany, but that's what makes him so cool!

Then there's Naked ... the new intro to the song had me confused at first.  I thought they were about to start into a song off of Let Love In; it just had that same sort of feel to it ... hard to explain.  Hearing this live just made me wish I had managed to see them way back in 1996 when they came to Ottawa to play a small gig (unfortunately, not old enough back then to get into the particular venue).

And of course, who can forget about Name, one of the many other songs that has made them a very popular band.  It was so much fun to see them jam during the solo part.  John is absolutely wrong if he thinks he doesn't have skills on the guitar, because that solo proved otherwise.  He said he loves this song, and he bloody well should.  This was the first song I ever heard by them on the radio on a hot summer's day.  I still love it!

Broadway was electric; they took it to a whole new level, especially Korel on saxophone.  His solo definitely impressed me; I thought it was even better than the one Jason did on Live In Buffalo.  Man, I wish I had the skills on saxophone like him; oh well, maybe if I practice for like 20 years I'll get that good.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Feel The Silence.  Well, it's not really one of my all-time favourite tracks, but it was definitely fun to hear it live.  It has a pretty amazing goosebump quality, especially the ending.  Pretty beautiful; this made my girl friend go crazy.  I think I've converted her to being a fan.

Better Days really gets me all choked up.  It's one of my favourite songs to listen to at the moment.  Sheer genius with deep meaningful lyrics, that just makes me think of a whole of things ... from all the injusticies and suffering out in the world everyday, that we sometimes don't stop to think about and really how good we have it in Canada.  I really loved it, especially with the holiday season fast approaching.  Probably sounds silly, but I always imagine them playing this outdoors and like halfway through the song it starts snowing.  I'm weird; moving on.

I was totally not expecting to hear Sympathy.  I almost forgot they played this; I was just so darn excited.  John joked about forgetting the lyrics and stuff, but it's just classic John kidding around.  It was cool.  Definitely put those naysayers that they don't change up the setlist enough to shame, even if it wasn't an old old old song.  This song has special meaning to me; I heard it for the first time the day my grandfather passed away. *wipes away tears* Ok, gotta stop blubbering here.  Anyways.  (Btw ... never gonna live it down that I forgot they did this song when I was telling everyone initially on MSN.  I blame it on excitement ...)

Let Love In definitely has a bit more teeth to it live.  A much more harder rock sound to it than the album version in my opinion.  Almost wish they'd put out a version more like the live one; it'd probably boost them up on the rock and alternative charts.

We'll Be Here (When You're Gone) was nice.  This song has come to mean and more to John as the tour's progressed.  You can tell he definitely loves his hometown of Buffalo and has alot of pride from where he's been.  I never really listened to the lyrics until then, but I'm starting to understand what they mean.  The little solo bit in the middle was a nice treat, definitely rocks out live.

Iris, Iris, Iris.  What can I say; still the perrenial fan favourite for sure.  He let the crowd sing parts ot it, which is just alot of fun to feel all that energy.  The crowd was just delirious when they started into that now classic mandolin guitar opening.  The solo bit in the middle was pretty cool, especially with the light effects.

OK, I'm sure I'm forgetting other songs here ... hmmm ...
oh well ... it'll come back to me, I hope.

John also talked about how much he likes Canada and stuff; pretty sure he mentionned something about Ottawa and the last time they were here (2002, I think ... near the end of one of the tour legs of Gutterflower.)  And of course, the usual comments about Bush and how !@#$%^ up America is at the moment.

After they finished the set, the crowd was just cheering away, including me.  It got even more loud when they returned to the stage for the encore!

Give A Little Bit, I have to admit, was a great choice for a cover song by the band.  It definitely fits their style now, and they played it to damn near perfection.  Again, Korel on the sax is just beyond amazing.  Wanna teach me how to play sax like that Korel, please?

Overall, it was a great night!  For my first Goo show, it was worth every last penny I paid for the tickets.  I hope they come back to Canada soon, especially Ottawa.  Hey, we're the capital of Canada ... not Toronto ... play here, please!!!

P.S. Robby, it's Ottawa not Ottowa.  It's still cute though.
« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2006, 6:57pm by zomg » IP Logged
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 19th, 2006, 12:02pm »

Great review! Thanks so much for writing that. Now that's the kind of review that should make the papers. Having just been to the London show I felt right there with you.

Quote:
Then there's Naked ... the new intro to the song had me confused at first.  I thought they were about to start into a song off of Let Love In; it just had that same sort of feel to it ... hard to explain.  Hearing this live just made me wish I had managed to see them way back in 1996 when they came to Ottawa to play a small gig (unfortunately, not old enough back then to get into the particular venue).

That's exactly how I felt when we heard Naked. Nicole and I were looking at each other like ... what is this? I too have missed many of their older gigs and could just kick myself for that.

Quote:
And of course, who can forget about Name, one of the many other songs that has made them a very popular band.  It was so much fun to see them jam during the solo part.  John is absolutely wrong if he thinks he doesn't have skills on the guitar, because that solo proved otherwise.  He said he loves this song, and he bloody well should.  This was the first song I ever heard by them on the radio on a hot summer's day.  I still love it!

This was the very first Goo song I ever heard too. It's still my favorite Goo song but it's also my favorite song by any band ... ever. This one still gives me goose bumps...spine tingles....spingles.... when I hear it live.

Great, great review!!!!
IP Logged

carlyn
Goo God

You drown in deeper oceans Inventing new religions

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Nov 19th, 2006, 12:04pm »

Wow, thanks for the awesome review!  That's so cool that they added Sympathy!
IP Logged
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 19th, 2006, 12:05pm »

on Nov 19th, 2006, 12:04pm, carlyn wrote:
Wow, thanks for the awesome review!  That's so cool that they added Sympathy!

It is! This will certainly make Forbes' day. I believe it's on his wish list for the Halifax show.
IP Logged

Nicole
Goo God

View Profile

Re: Ottawa newspaper review/fan.googoodolls WOG re
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19th, 2006, 12:24pm »

Thats a great review! Its seems like they played a lot of their older songs. When I saw them in August they only played songs from LLI and DUtG.  
I'm so excited for Friday!
« Last Edit: Dec 27th, 2006, 4:06pm by Nicole » IP Logged
Skkyer
Dizzy

Just a Kiss Away

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Nov 19th, 2006, 3:06pm »

Now that was one heck of a great review fan.googoodolls.   Thank you so much for writing that up for us.    

I hope you get to see the GGD again real soon.

Hugs,
Skkyer
IP Logged
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Nov 20th, 2006, 10:55am »

Thanks for the review!  Glad you enjoyed your first show!

I still haven't decided what I think about the new Naked opening.  It doesn't really go with the song at all and when it started I'll admit I got REALLY excited that maybe they were playing something unexpected.

Glad to see Sympathy added, even if I don't care for it much.  Did they just add it or did they remove something to add Sympathy?
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2006, 10:55am by nmf016 » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]