Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « "Name that Tune" »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   "Name that Tune"
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: "Name that Tune"  (Read 3077 times)
DWG

Email

"Name that Tune"
« on: Jun 13th, 2014, 12:17am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Near as I can figure, this was the setlist for the Oakdale concert for 6/12/14.

(disclaimer: never trust a setlist scribbled down on a folded up ticket from a fan who doesn't know the names of the songs since Gutterflower. That would be me.)

Lazy Eye  (I kid you not. Blow me away why don'tcha)
Dizzy
Slide
Big Machine (blow me away again.)
Rebel Beat
When the World Breaks Your Heart (?)
Already There
Bringing On the Light
Come To Me
Black Balloon
Stay With You
Here is Gone (yay!)
Caught in the Storm (?)
Feel the Silence
Flat Top (I think this was the 1st time I heard it live!)
January Friend
Another Second Time Around
Notbroken
Better Days
Slow It Down
Give a Little Bit
Iris
Let Love In
Name
Broadway

I liked how they had some of the old videos displayed along the back of the stage; very cool graphics there. At one point the whole section back by the drum riser rose up several feet. or maybe I was hallucinating. *update* I was watching a youtube video of this, and now I realize it was more like an optical illusion. During "Name", John and Robby walked up some side ramps toward the drum riser. At the same time the graphics at the back of the stage were "falling letters". Made it appear they were moving upward when really it was the graphics moving downward. See video here (also available are videos for people seeking Plain White T's and Daughtry from same show, if you seek the same poster Dom Nov by clicking on his/her name):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNVmkpDwSh8

kinda looks like a "cellphone-a-palooza"

Hey, I may not be the best setlist "secretary" but at least I wasn't sittin' in my seat texting.  Tongue

Oh yeah, at one point John was saying how cool it is that Daughtry can be a good name for a band. Whereas he, being a "Polack from Buffalo", said his name wouldn't sound so good as a band name, Rzeznik. Neither would Takac, although that sounds a bit better.
(In my head I was thisclose to yelling out, Tutuska! But I was a good girl and just chuckled inwardly at the thought.)
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2014, 4:39pm by Dances_with_Goo » IP Logged
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

Re: "Name that Tune"
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13th, 2014, 5:35am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

HEY DWG!

I JUST WANT YOU TO KNOW I SPENT HOURS LOOKING FOR THE SETLIST THAT EVERYONE HAS FAILED TO PRODUCE.  FINALLY, I GET UP AND CHECK WOG ONCE FOR NO PARTICULAR REASON AND THERE'S THE SETLIST POSTED FOR EVERYONE TO SEE.  GOOD JOB!

Your Huh songs are all right.  There are some real surprises in there.  24 songs from them in 2014 is pretty nuts too.
IP Logged
DWG

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 13th, 2014, 11:21am »

on Jun 13th, 2014, 5:35am, nmf016 wrote:
Your Huh songs are all right.  There are some real surprises in there.  24 songs from them in 2014 is pretty nuts too.

Thanks, that's the second time in a week that someone has told me "good job". Haven't been told that in like 30 years.
Like the Goos, I may not be flawless, but I keep at it.

[PS:the set list has been modified with the addition of 1 song I missed. Thanks to folks @ Absolute Goo for the addition of the missing song. So I guess the total= 25 songs.]

I was surprised no one else posted a setlist last night. Forced me to look up the names of some songs instead of calling them what I usually do, ie:  The Laundry Song, The Grocery Store Song, the Luuuv Song, the really out of tune song, etc. It actually was a great mix of old & new material, I have to say. Some surprises for sure.

It's an awkward crowd mix due to the triple band lineup. I really enjoyed listening to the Plain White Ts. It's a big Daughtry lovefest, hence the folks sitting in their seats playing with their cell phones during the Goo's set. So be it, makes it easier for me to see over their heads.

Now for some silly message board type questions. Maybe I'll get an answer, maybe not...
Is Damage still John's guitar tech?
What does John's tattoo say that goes across his upper chest?
Who's the drummer?
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2014, 12:25pm by Dances_with_Goo » IP Logged
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 13th, 2014, 5:49pm »

I believe Damage is still John's guitar tech unless something happened since the last tour. (*I have since been informed Damage is gone.  I pay zero attention to the crew so I will believe what I am told.)

If we don't talk about the tattoo, the tattoo doesn't exist.  It's like Tinkerbell except really fucking ugly and stupid and someone is going through some serious mid-life crisis stuff.  (The consensus is "The future is unwritten")

The drummer is Craig MacIntyre.  

I'm glad you went and got some surprises.  I'm interested to know which songs are the laundry song and the out of tune song.  
 Cheesy
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2014, 10:20pm by nmf016 » IP Logged
DWG

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 14th, 2014, 12:16am »

Yeah normally I wouldn't ask about the crew or tats, but when the out of tune song came along (I think it was Caught in the Storm) my first thought was maybe someone handed John the wrong guitar. You know how he uses alternate tunings, so I imagine a certain guitar is set up for each song. How the band got it back together is beyond me, but they did. I actually scribbled out of tune song on my setlist paper, my bad. (eh, maybe it's supposed to sound like that, I don't have the album so what do I know?) *slaps self upside the head*  :beatup:

John asked the folks in the balcony if they could read his tattoo alright, so I wondered what it said.  

The Laundry Song goes somethin' like "doo doo doo doo doo".
I know, bad fan. That's why they only sell me sucky seats these days.
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2014, 12:26am by Dances_with_Goo » IP Logged
DWG

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 14th, 2014, 9:04pm »

Dang, I have to correct myself again.

I did hear Flat Top live before. They performed it at the first Goo Goo Dolls concert I ever attended: at the Palace in Albany back in 2002.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8M5YX35byM

good times. Lots more video from that show online, must go see...

(fun fact: I compiled the setlist from the 2002 Albany concert and compared it to the Oakdale listing above, and 10 songs were common to both setlists.)
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2014, 4:42pm by Dances_with_Goo » IP Logged
Skkyer
Dizzy

Just a Kiss Away

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jun 14th, 2014, 9:30pm »

Hey, thanks for the set list.  Good to see people here.  I do hope they keep most of these songs during the tour.
IP Logged
DWG

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 14th, 2014, 9:34pm »

Definitely get thee to a show, it was good.

Now I am watching these old Albany videos and remembering the "mood" that night. lol, oh, my.  

(am I a "bad mom" for taking my kid to her first concert at that Albany show? nahhhh....)
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2014, 4:34pm by Dances_with_Goo » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]