Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « The Singles That Could Have Been... »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   The Singles That Could Have Been...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The Singles That Could Have Been...  (Read 1351 times)
Shade
Another Thread Killer
I'm Addicted

View Profile

The Singles That Could Have Been...
« on: Apr 4th, 2012, 9:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I remember when I bought Gutterflower, the sticker on the plastic said "Including such hits as Here Is Gone and What A Scene." I also think I remember John saying in a concert that Without You Here would be the next LLI single. Also, Feel the Silence was included in Greatest Hits vol. 1.

So, it seems that the next single for Gutterflower was going to be What A Scene, and the next single for LLI was going to be Without You Here or Feel The Silence.

My 2 questions for all of you are:

1. Do you recall any other songs being called potential singles for other albums?

2. How do you think these potential singles would have done as actual singles (taking into consideration things like the timing of their release, how well the album itself did, etc.)?
IP Logged
Pon
Goo God

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

ai3oynamedgoo
View Profile

Re: The Singles That Could Have Been...
« Reply #1 on: Apr 7th, 2012, 8:53pm »

Honestly, I don't think there are any songs that I can think of that could have been singles. There are many songs that I love to death, but I can't really think of other songs that be mass marketed.  

I believe that the goos have potential to create singles that are better than what they've been releasging...but they're not for some reason. Example, they could have created songs like "name"...but they didn't. Name is such a unique song..except the weak copy of "think about me".  

The music industry is so much larger nowadays with the internet and foreign music. I don't feel the goos have done anythign to compete..doesn't seem like they care either.
IP Logged
Shade
Another Thread Killer
I'm Addicted

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Apr 7th, 2012, 10:45pm »

I was asking more if there are any songs the Goos said at one point would be singles, as opposed to what we think would make good singles, but thanks for the response. I think I agree with all you said.

It actually struck me when you called Think About Me a weak Name-copy. I've thought before that Here Is Gone sounds like a slowed down Big Machine, and Think About Me sounds like a sped-up Name, but the other day I was wondering if Think About Me and Name were as close as I thought. Sounds like someone else noticed it, too. I know it's off topic, but how do you see Think About Me being a bad copy of Name? I've been trying to put my finger on it...maybe you can help.
IP Logged
Pon
Goo God

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

ai3oynamedgoo
View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Apr 8th, 2012, 10:52am »

My bad! But yeah, I think "Think about me" was considered to be a single?? Parts of "Think about me" sounded like name..it was just so obvious...but it wasn't as good..nowhere near the level of name. It's not a bad song..it's a good song..I listened to it countless times, but it sounded like they took "name"...and didn't improve on it. Almost seem like they just took what they knew and bang out a song to put on the CD. It's like listening to other artists cover their songs.

Both songs are similar..but it's no doubt that one is so much better than the other. Can't help but compare 2 similar things.

on Apr 7th, 2012, 10:45pm, Shade wrote:
I was asking more if there are any songs the Goos said at one point would be singles, as opposed to what we think would make good singles, but thanks for the response. I think I agree with all you said.

It actually struck me when you called Think About Me a weak Name-copy. I've thought before that Here Is Gone sounds like a slowed down Big Machine, and Think About Me sounds like a sped-up Name, but the other day I was wondering if Think About Me and Name were as close as I thought. Sounds like someone else noticed it, too. I know it's off topic, but how do you see Think About Me being a bad copy of Name? I've been trying to put my finger on it...maybe you can help.

IP Logged
sympathy_0
Goo God

Never you mind.

View Profile WWW

The Singles That Could Have Been
« Reply #4 on: Apr 8th, 2012, 10:47pm »

I think that the 3 singles from Gutterflower, and the singles off DUTG were all GREAT and I would not have changed them. However, it is their last 2 CD's that could have had some better choices.  

The singles from Let Love In SHOULD HAVE BEEN Stay With You, Without you here, and Can't Let It Go, HANDS down. Without you here would have been huge, I honestly think that (biggest since "Iris").  

Something for The Rest of Us could have been chosen better too. The lead single should have been "Still Your Song" or "Nothing Is Real". Then I would have had to say "Hey Ya (different title though, haha)", or NotBroken.
IP Logged

www.youtube.com/forbuss
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]