Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « Goo Goo Dolls grow up - article »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   Goo Goo Dolls grow up - article
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Goo Goo Dolls grow up - article  (Read 615 times)
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

Goo Goo Dolls grow up - article
« on: Aug 1st, 2011, 10:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Goo Goo Dolls grow up

Married couples could learn a lot from the Goo Goo Dolls.

Formed in 1986 in Buffalo by John Rzeznik and Robby Takac, the band has been together for more than 25 years.

“I think it’s a great milestone, but we never really celebrate any particular day. It’s been an amazingly long amount of time. I think it’s just sort of what we do,” Takac said.

Along with drummer Mike Malinin, who joined the group in 1994, Takac and Rzeznik have had a career made in rock ‘n’ roll heaven.

Rising to the top of the charts in 1995 with the album “A Boy Named Goo,” the band has managed to survive the treacherous waters of the music industry for more than two decades.

“I think a lot of bands couldn’t have managed some of the transitions over the years. At times it has been incredibly challenging. This band has had some very unique phases,” said Takac, bassist with the group.

The Goo Goo Dolls will headline the “99.5 The River’s Summer Night Out” concert on Sunday
at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center in Saratoga Springs. The lineup also will include Barenaked Ladies, Michelle Branch and Parachute.

Takac expects to see several generations of fans at the show.

“We have amazing folks who come out to see us play. You hope you can drag your fans around with you through the years, but obviously you lose some along the way. I think there have been some folks who have been with us for a really long time,” he said.

Despite their years together, the group is far from an oldies band.

With releases like 2010’s “Something for the Rest of Us” and “All That You Are,” a song on this summer’s “Transformers 3” soundtrack, the veteran rockers continue to be relevant.

Although the band is still cranking out songs, Takac is realistic about making the charts.

“There are so many components to making a hit song. It’s not always just about being a great song. We’ve written tons of songs that were good that weren’t a hit. A good song is a good song, but a hit song is a minor miracle,” he said.

Takac said touring isn’t the party it was in the early days, and the musicians approach the travel with a different perspective.

“You figure out how to make it work. It involved way less getting hammered out of your mind than it used to. After 20 years, I started saying to myself, ‘We need to be out there doing our best.’ It’s about making the shows great,” he said.

Since the paradigm has shifted in the music industry and concerts are now more profitable than recordings for performers, Takac is grateful to be able to be out on the road.

“I think we are just fortunate that we can go out and make money doing shows that allow us to keep our machine running,” he said.

For Takac, performing on stage is an integral part of his identity.

“I’ve been doing it for my entire adult life. I don’t know any other way,” he said.

Read more: http://poststar.com/lifestyles/today/goo-goo-dolls-grow-up/article_a3e8d 87e-b976-11e0-95e3-001cc4c03286.html#ixzz1TnEUotYd[b][/b]
IP Logged

If you need help, please email me at [email protected]

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]