Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « Catching up with Goo Goo Dolls John Rzeznik »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   Catching up with Goo Goo Dolls John Rzeznik
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Catching up with Goo Goo Dolls John Rzeznik  (Read 501 times)
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

« on: Dec 31st, 2010, 4:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/entertainment/thingstodo/2010/12/catchin g_up_with_goo_goo_dolls.html

By Ben Crandell December 31, 2010 01:08 PM

"Hey, it's John Rzeznik," said the voice on the phone.

John Rzeznik? John? Don't you mean Johnny Rzeznik? As in Johnny Rzeznik, rock 'n' roll heartthrob and lead singer of the Goo Goo Dolls on Top 10 hits such as "Iris," "Slide," "Here Is Gone" and "Big Machine." Johnny Rzeznik, right?

"Johnny, John, whatever you like," the voice responded. "I'm going with John. I'm 45 years old... I'm trying to grow up a little."

There is an confident maturity coursing through the Goo Goo Dolls' ninth studio album, "Something for the Rest of Us," an ambitious block of blue-collar rock released this fall. Rzeznik, who will lead the trio onstage Monday during halftime of the Discover Orange Bowl at Sun Life Stadium, says the album is a reflection on current events and what the band has always been.

"We're not some uber cool hipster band from Brooklyn, and we're not one of those hyper-produced pop bands from an evil music factory," said Rzeznik (who found his first band in vocational school while learning to become a plumber) of the Goo Goo Dolls, spawn of proudly unhip Buffalo, N.Y. "We've always been regular guys who play in a rock band and write songs for regular people."

The title track on "Something for the Rest of Us," as well as sing-alongs such as "Home," "Notbroken" and "Soldier," weave themes of war and economic struggle and their polarizing effect on average families into the slick anthems of romantic alienation and yearning that have served the band so well.

"These are tumultuous, trying times. I wanted to speak to those times," Rzeznik said.

Rzeznik was speaking from his home in Los Angeles amid the tumult surrounding his imminent move to suburban New York City, where his girlfriend has more career opportunities. Included in the move is some of a lifetime's collection of music.

Rzeznik, a Jimmy Page freak, says he owns every recorded version of Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" and has edited his own compilation of Page's signature performance of what Rzeznik calls "the greatest guitar solo ever."

Rzeznik did not envy the task of Jason Bonham, son of Zeppelin drummer John Bonham, who had to narrow the band's legendary catalogue down to five songs for a recent Led Zeppelin Experience show at Sun Life Stadium. Bonham went with “Kashmir,” “When the Levee Breaks,” “Rock and Roll,” “The Ocean” and “Whole Lotta Love.” Rzeznik didn't mind playing the game, and offered: "All of My Love," "Black Dog." "Living Loving Maid," "Kashmir" and "Tangerine" ("Insane slide guitar," Rzeznik said of the latter.).

As for the Goo Goo Dolls' set during the Orange Bowl, Rzeznik rattled off "Home," "Notbroken," "Iris," "Slide" and "Broadway" as a beginning.

Though he hasn't had much passion for football since Jim Kelly and the Buffalo Bills broke his heart in four straight Super Bowls, Rzeznik is looking forward to the Orange Bowl excitement.

"We've been around a long time, and it's always interesting to see teenagers in the audience along with people in their 40s and 50s. You look out and say, 'Wow, that's kind of a freaky scene,'" Rzeznik said with a laugh. "And let's face it, [the concert] may help us sell some records."

IF YOU GO
The 2011 Discover Orange Bowl, which pits Stanford against Virginia Tech, is 8 p.m. Monday at Sun Life Stadium. For tickets and more information, go to orangebowl.org.

IP Logged

If you need help, please email me at [email protected]

DWG

Email

Re: Catching up with Goo Goo Dolls John Rzeznik
« Reply #1 on: Jan 2nd, 2011, 12:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I don't know why, but I thought John didn't like Led Zeppelin? Glad that he does. Interesting choice of "Tangerine". That's the thing I always loved about Zeppelin...the variety of styles they did was amazing.

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]