Banner by laurengoo

WOG link calendar link
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « CBGBs Talking Heads, Ramones & more in film .. »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   CBGBs Talking Heads, Ramones & more in film ..
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: CBGBs Talking Heads, Ramones & more in film ..  (Read 453 times)
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

CBGBs Talking Heads, Ramones & more in film ..
« on: Nov 30th, 2010, 10:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

CBGBs Talking Heads, Ramones, More in Film about the Sainted Club
November 30th, 2010  

“Bottle Shock” filmmakers promise “This Ain’t No Disco”

By Nadine Jolson

NEW YORK (Hollywood Today) 11/30/10- CBGB’s NY club was home of punk/new wave scene with seminal bands like the Talking Heads, Ramones, Blondie, and The Pretenders is being developed into a film.

CBGB’s became such a well-respected haunt for artists that many bands begged the owner Hilly for a chance to play.  Green Day, Soul Asylum, The Police, Bruce Springsteen, Everclear, George Thorogood, Lisa Loeb, Velvet Underground, Sonic Youth, Black Crowes, Flaming Lips, Goo Goo Dolls, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Runaways, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Tool, and The Wallflowers are just a few of the bands that played the club over the years.

The story will follow Kristal who dreamed of having a club on the lower Eastside that catered to Country, Bluegrass and Blues music.  When he had difficulty booking those bands he opened his doors to the acts that other venues had rejected.  Living on the couch in the back of the club for the first two years, Hilly could barely make ends meet.  Nevertheless, he had one demand of the acts he booked:  They could only play their own original music.  No top 40’s, no covers.  It was the credo he lived by– support the art at whatever the cost.

The as yet UNTITLED CBGB’s project from Randall Miller & Jody Savin, the filmmaking team behind the Chris Pine and Alan Rickman starrer, BOTTLE SHOCK are following that success with another true-to-life tale aboutthe inspiring true story of Hilly Kristal’s New York club from its origins as Country, Bluegrass and Blues (CBGB’s).

“Hilly was a true lover of the arts.  This film has the makings of a tour-de-force performance in the hands of the right actor,” adds Miller.  Savin adds, “This is a film about an era of music, about a place that I hung out at in New York in the early 80’s and about an unsung champion of new music.”  Several name actors have expressed interest in the title role but no casting announcement as of yet.

Savin and Miller will write the screenplay and the plan is for Savin to mark her directorial debut. Savin has been the producer on Miller’s past five films.  “She knows everything I do as a filmmaker, but she adds a love for New York and an ear for this time and place,” says Miller.

Miller & Savin will produce the film under their production banner Unclaimed Freight Productions along with Brad Rosenberger, a music industry veteran who recently left his post as Senior Vice President of Warner-Chappell Music to partner with Miller & Savin on several projects.  Rosenberger, who brought the Dennis Wilson story THE DRUMMER: The Story of Dennis Wilson of the Beach Boys to the filmmaking duo earlier this year, will work hand in hand with the filmmakers to secure all the necessary music for the picture.

“This will mark our second foray into rock ‘n roll films as a team.  I am thrilled to be working on the CBGB’s project.  My love for this music and my experience at Warner/Chappell are a perfect combination to help Jody and Randy make an extraordinary film,” adds Rosenberger.  “The music is a huge character in this story and we are proud to have Brad and his vast relationships to help guide the sound of the film, “ says Savin.

The film is scheduled to shoot next summer immediately following THE DRUMMER.
http://www.hollywoodtoday.net/2010/11/30/cbgbs-talking-heads-ramones-mor e-in-film-about-the-sainted-club/
« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2010, 10:15pm by Shannon » IP Logged

If you need help, please email me at [email protected]

DWG

Email

Re: CBGBs Talking Heads, Ramones & more in fil
« Reply #1 on: Dec 1st, 2010, 3:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

So much history behind CBGB's.

Considering it evolved into a club featuring rejected punk and new wave, it's amazing they stuck with the original name:
{the inspiring true story of Hilly Kristal’s New York club from its origins as Country, Bluegrass and Blues (CBGB’s) }

I suppose CBGB's was a lot catchier than PUNU.   Wink

Should be interesting to see how they present the music/bands for this film.  

Thanks for posting, Shannon.   Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]