Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « GGDs bring energy, old hits to Ryan Center »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   GGDs bring energy, old hits to Ryan Center
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: GGDs bring energy, old hits to Ryan Center  (Read 507 times)
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

GGDs bring energy, old hits to Ryan Center
« on: Sep 30th, 2010, 1:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Goo Goo Dolls bring energy, old hits to Ryan Center
Nat Tingley

Issue date: 9/30/10 Section: Entertainment

09/30/10 - The Goo Goo Dolls performed at URI's own Thomas M. Ryan Center last night. Having interviewed Robby, the bassist and founding member of the band, and having grown up listening to the Goo Goo Dolls, I was looking forward to the show as the date grew nearer.  

Sure, I was excited to hear "Iris" and "Slide," but I was also excited to hear their lesser known hits and their new material. The only question in my mind was, "will the rest of the campus be as excited?"

Looking back on the show, there was no need to worry. I showed up at 8 p.m. and was pleasantly surprised by a Ryan Center crowd that reminded me of when Snoop Dogg performed this past spring. In other words, the place was packed. The audience was an interesting mix of students: Rhody locals and out-of-towners who loved the Goo Goo Dolls enough to travel here from places like Maine and Connecticut. This large, mixed crowd was one of several indications that the band has, by no means, lost their appeal.

The Tim Blane band opened for the Goo Goo Dolls and, after being met with a little skepticism and that typical "wait, you're not the band I came to see" look from the crowd, did a great job getting everyone pumped for the rest of the show. I would make it your plan to go to www.timblane.com to check out these up and coming Boston artists.

Finally, at about 9:15 p.m., Johnny Rzeznik and the rest of the band burst on stage with one of the hits off of their previous albums. The mob on the floor rushed to the front of the stage in a fashion that caused many of the less seasoned concert goers to panic a little bit. By the time the first song was over, that familiar first couple of strums from "Slide" caused an eruption of screams followed by all in attendance helping Rzeznik sing about two thirds of the song.

As the show progressed, I was very pleased to see how energetic the band was. Robby Takac bounced around like a 14-year-old while Rzeznik contorted his face and body in ways that I thought reserved only for mental patients.

cont'd...
IP Logged

If you need help, please email me at [email protected]

Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

Re: GGDs bring energy, old hits to Ryan Center
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30th, 2010, 1:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It is beyond refreshing to see a band that has been touring and performing for about 24 years to bring the same enthusiasm and verve as they did in their prime.

The show went off without a hitch save for Rzeznik mistaking the venue's location in Providence and not Kingston. Though to us Rhode Islanders, Rzeznik's mistake is a major faux pas, he was able to make up for it by giving a wicked rocking performance of "Black Balloon." "Black Balloon," by the way, was augmented by the release and subsequent fan bouncing of roughly 70 black balloons. One fan even decided to make the balloons part of her ensemble by tying the balloons to her belt loops as she screamed the words to the song.

Takac displayed his particular vocal prowess by singing, in a way that differs greatly from that of Rzeznik's, his songs.

After about an hour of loud and almost flawless music, the moment finally came where that one song was to be played; the song that is synonymous with the Goo Goo Dolls. The first notes of 'Iris' sent the crowd into a frenzy, creating a palpable energy. All I can say was that it was awesome.

I have been to a lot of concerts. I have toured with bands and I have worked with a lot of musicians. I can honestly say that this show was one of the most fun. The band was remarkably appreciative of the fans and genuinely had a great time.  

The Goo Goo Dolls can still bring that certain something that made them famous and, this time, they brought it to URI.

http://media.www.ramcigar.com/media/storage/paper366/news/2010/09/30/Ent ertainment/Goo-Goo.Dolls.Bring.Energy.Old.Hits.To.Ryan.Center-3938632.shtml
IP Logged

If you need help, please email me at [email protected]

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]