Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « I need to criticize the message board »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   I need to criticize the message board
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: I need to criticize the message board  (Read 1448 times)
Pon
Goo God

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

ai3oynamedgoo
View Profile

I need to criticize the message board
« on: Sep 7th, 2010, 12:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Okay, i apologize, but I need to criticize the message board because I see something huge that is a huge turn off, but could easily be fixed. I've been here for around 12 years and this place has been my main source for good news, but i'm starting to notice something now and I feel that it's lagging behind other sites as a result.

When I come here, I like to look at the latest threads first. However, I usually see a bunch of permenent threads at the top, which is fine, but I have to go through all of that in order to see the latest threads. I notice that they are divided by 2 bolded horizontal lines, which I just think is not enough.  

My solution: Can you just divide the threads by color? Example is below...doesn't have to be that color. This is what they do on other message boards I been to.  

----------------
Perment - blue
---------------
Other - gray
---------------
IP Logged
Pon
Goo God

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

ai3oynamedgoo
View Profile

Re: I need to criticize the message board
« Reply #1 on: Sep 7th, 2010, 12:48pm »

see, i made this thread, but it turned out to be the 11th thread down, and in the middle of a section between the bolded horizontal line. It should be at the top on a certain section/color.
IP Logged
Pon
Goo God

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

ai3oynamedgoo
View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Sep 7th, 2010, 12:51pm »

also, user agreement and registration thread should be way at the top above others. It doesn't make sense that it's below random CD information.
IP Logged
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 7th, 2010, 3:40pm »

This is a very old message board. We've been promised upgrades for years but it hasn't happened.  

The pins at the top go most recent first on down. At one time the user agreement was at the top but newer news bumps it down. There's absolutely nothing I can do about that.  

As much as I'd love to accommodate you and make the colors more user friendly I'm unable to do so due to the lack of board upgrades. When MFC upgraded the boards last year they skipped us and promised we'd be in the next batch. Well MFC has pretty much disappeared again. I can get help troubleshooting but upgrades I assume have been put off again. Sorry about that. I'm doing the best I can with what I've got here.
IP Logged

If you need help, please email me at [email protected]

[Joelage]
Goo God

Usually Banned

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: Sep 14th, 2010, 2:04am »

Hey Pon and Shannon,

For sure, at the end of it we will always know that you've tried your best with what we have! Keep up the great work!

On a funnier note, it took me almost 48 hours to work out how to get the SFTROU CD out of the case!

I was pressing the middle, and didn't realize it was a 'tight fit' case...

What a great looking book/CD
IP Logged

"Soon we realized that after doing this together for so long, we developed some talents that as a group tend to come naturally. We realized that we had a rapport among us and in that rapport was power.

"And we realized that our day jobs (as the Goo Goo Dolls) didn't suck as bad as we had thought," he said, laughing (Robby).
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 14th, 2010, 12:04pm »

Thanks [joelage]!! I appreciate that.

I got the digital version. That's the one thing I miss with digital is the physical case and book. I'm glad you like it. What do you think of the songs?
IP Logged

DWG

Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 17th, 2010, 11:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Sep 17th, 2010, 11:29pm, GooFan 29 wrote:
How can you get rid of these faces that pop up when I try to write exclamation marks and question marksHuh!Huh!?!

Simple.  

STOP TYPING.
IP Logged
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 20th, 2010, 1:48pm »

I did a little editing with the new vs. visited links. Maybe this will help everyone distinguish between a new/old thread. The visited thread color is the orangish color. Orange is the complementary color to blue.

Let me know if you like it and if it helps everyone. There's not much more I can do but this I could.
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2010, 2:02pm by Shannon » IP Logged

Christina
Goo God

I got a head that don't let me sleef

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: Sep 20th, 2010, 6:53pm »

Having the color change does make it easier to distinguish the unread threads Smiley I feel like the orange is a little hard to read against the cream background though. Maybe a grey (to match the banner) could work?
IP Logged

"i have never wanted something so badly as having people just show up at ggd concerts dressed as presidential fruit"
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 21st, 2010, 4:25pm »

on Sep 20th, 2010, 6:53pm, Christina wrote:
Having the color change does make it easier to distinguish the unread threads Smiley I feel like the orange is a little hard to read against the cream background though. Maybe a grey (to match the banner) could work?

How about this grey? It's got blue undertones. I like it.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]