Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « Counting down to SFTROU one year at a time »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   Counting down to SFTROU one year at a time
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  9 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Counting down to SFTROU one year at a time  (Read 13615 times)
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

Counting down to SFTROU one year at a time
« on: Aug 6th, 2010, 7:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey guys! The ninth GGD studio album is coming out at the end of the month! And while a waiting a couple weeks is nothing compared to the four and a half years we’ve waited, I have decided I need something to help pass the time.

I’ve decided to look back at the last 25 years of the band, one year a day. I’ll be posting a bootleg, video, interview or news article for each year. If you have anything you’d like to add for any particular year (media, a story about your first show, the story about how you became a fan, photos), please do. This thread is all about celebrating the history of the GGDs as they add another album to their history.

So, first up:

The year of creation. The year I am shocked they made it beyond.

I have exactly 1 bootleg from 1986 (or, it’s rumored to be from 1986, but could very well be early 1987). It’s called the Purple Bedroom and it was broadcast over the alternative college station WBNY 91.3 in Buffalo, NY.

Songs played:
Gimme Shelter
Love Dolls
Torn Apart
I’m Addicted
Different Light
Hammerin’ Eggs
Born To Be Wild
Livin’ In a Hut
Ballroom Blitz
Slaughterhouse

http://www.mediafire.com/?vb6jovtbe24plj2

IP Logged
Pon
Goo God

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

ai3oynamedgoo
View Profile

Re: Counting down to SFTROU one year at a time
« Reply #1 on: Aug 7th, 2010, 12:13am »

look at them song titles...lol.
IP Logged
angry_little_girls
Naked

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Aug 7th, 2010, 4:31am »

I love it!  Thanks!  Grin
IP Logged
Nicole
Goo God

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Aug 7th, 2010, 9:01am »

This is great! Thanks, nmf
IP Logged
sympathy_0
Goo God

Never you mind.

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: Aug 7th, 2010, 10:29am »

This IS great! I'm getting so excited, even though I would have loved to rock out to the CD all summer! Smiley
IP Logged

www.youtube.com/forbuss
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Aug 7th, 2010, 8:10pm »

1987 gives us the first album Goo Goo Dolls.  So that's your best bet for media for this year.

I've uploaded a bootleg from God Knows Where in Buffalo, NY.  It's a more tedious listen than the last one.  

http://www.mediafire.com/?gvzz4f8dgvjvst5

Songs played:
Torn Apart
I'm Addicted
7th of Last Month
Come On
Livin' In a Hut
Different Light
Gimme Shelter
Love Dolls
Slaughterhouse
Born To Be Wild
Sex Maggot
Artie
No Way Out
Scream
Hardsores
Don't Fear the Reaper
Ballroom Blitz

If you're a more visual person, there are parts of this show uploaded on Youtube by miketl55.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZKTXc0tk6E

And, just because it's still new and fun, read this again.  Because it's worth another read.  

IP Logged
sympathy_0
Goo God

Never you mind.

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: Aug 8th, 2010, 11:53am »

Haha. That flier or whatever it is is soo horribly 80's. I love it!
IP Logged

www.youtube.com/forbuss
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Aug 8th, 2010, 6:50pm »

1988 was the year of the Goos' first 'proper' tour, the Cram the Van tour.  So, naturally, I do not actually have any audio/video from this year because that would make too much sense.  

Instead, this is an article from the Buffalo News from 1995, recounting a day in the life of the Goos on tour in 1988.  It's definitely one of those stories that continues to make me wonder how they managed to all stay alive and keep the band mostly together for 25 years.  (It also features Artie Kwitchoff and I look for any excuse to post about Artie Kwitchoff.)

Buffalo News (New York)
May 12, 1995, Friday, City Edition
'WELCOME TO HELL. YOU MUST BE THE HOUSE BAND. RIGHT THIS WAY.'

This is the story of one 24-hour period during the Goo Goo Dolls' spring '88 "Cram the Van" tour.

Most friends and fans of the band have heard it, in one form or another. And though the tale is 7 years old, many think it explains a great deal about the band's mental state ever since.  

Picture the Goos traveling down the East Coast, "in basically a windowless van," stresses ex-Goos manager Artie Kwitchoff, of the transportation used. "At least four guys, drinking beer, eating bagels and peanut butter, driving straight through -- no ventilation."

One sleeps inches from the ceiling atop a pile of gently rocking equipment. Two more cram onto a tiny mattress on the van floor. Someone drives. They arrive in Miami "bruised, poorly rested, and shaking from fear and confusion," and after their show they wind up separated -- a move that will forever haunt them.

"George and Robby completely disappear," Kwitchoff says. "So we crash with a fan who says he'll take us home with him. Pretty soon we realize we are being driven way, way too far away.

"We get there, and this guy's house is a nightmare. I refuse to go in, and feign sleep in the van. But Johnny and the guitar tech stay in the house with this guy, his sister and a bunch of other people.

"In the middle of the night, Johnny hears this guy trying to put the moves on his own sister! 'Don't start that @#$ % with me again,' she's screaming, fighting him off.

"Johnny, who is already a physical wreck, is now an emotional wreck. He comes out to the van, gets in and just sits. He is ashen. He's mute. The guitar tech is wordless.

"We go look for Robby and George. They've slept on the beach -- totally wasted. We haul 'em in the van. Johnny finally just passes out.

"Everyone is quiet, and I pull on the highway that takes you from Miami across the state. It's called Alligator Alley because alligators roam it freely, and every 10 feet there is a sign: 'Do Not Get Out of Your Car,' 'Warning: Alligators,' 'Do Not Stop.'

"We're tooling along. So much so that I miss the only exit for gas, for about 100 miles. Robby finally wakes up, looks at the dash and says, 'Uh, hey, man, we might wanna get some gas.' I look down. The needle is pinned on E.

"We are driving on fumes, there are alligators all over the place, and we have missed the only exit for gas. Johnny and George sleep peacefully through this; I am sweating blood.

"Finally, we see an exit, and just as we begin to roll off it, honest to God, the engine dies. We push the van up the road, find some gas.

"We arrive in St. Petersburg. We do the show, and Johnny is so furious he completely wears himself out, gets totally hammered, dives into a fountain and splashes everyone.

"The show ends, and Johnny, dripping with booze and sweat and fountain water, seeks his revenge by opening up the van doors and simply passing out -- soaking wet -- on top of George and Robby. We take off. We head for the next gig."
-- Lauri Githens
IP Logged
DWG

Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 8th, 2010, 11:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Awesome stuff!  
Thanks Nicole.

(I'm sticking more to the "readable" stuff, because you know how my PC hates audio...God forbid. Jeesh.)

~Happy 4000th post, DWG~
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2010, 11:34pm by Dances_with_Goo » IP Logged
lionhill
I'm Addicted

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Aug 9th, 2010, 4:08am »

lol that article. Oh man.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  ...  9 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]