Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « Losman: Buffalo "Itching" For Clean Up »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   Losman: Buffalo "Itching" For Clean Up
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Losman: Buffalo "Itching" For Clean Up  (Read 437 times)
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

« on: Aug 29th, 2007, 12:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 09:13 AM - Nick Mendola - WGR 550  

(WGR 550)- J.P. Losman wants to make downtown Buffalo a destination for not just Western New Yorkers, but tourists as well.

He'll start Saturday outside City Hall.

Losman is the one of the big names behind Buffalo Lives, a combined effort from local groups to clean and maintain the city.

"The goals are simple: It's basically a downtown clean-up," Losman told The Howard Simon Show on Tuesday's show. "I've grouped a lot of people together - Keep Western New York Beautiful, Buffalo Olmstead Parks Conservancy, The City of Buffalo, Mayor Brown - I just put these groups together that are not always on the same page, and I kind of just was the middle person on organizing everything together."

"Basically we're just inviting as many people as we possibly can for a downtown clean-up."

Losman detailed Saturday's plans.

"Living downtown for couple years, I've ventured off the main roads, and sometimes it's just doesn't look so nice," he said. "We've designated four major areas that we want to clean up: Niagara Street, West Ferry, on the West Side with Delavan, Grant Street and Connecticut Street. Then on the East Side with Best Street and Jefferson. It's going to be a great event."

Registration for Saturday's event begins at 9 a.m. in front of City Hall, with the clean-up lasting from 9:30 until Noon. Losman said this event is more of an off-season clean-up with a chance to get the name "Buffalo Lives" out there for next year. A big spring clean-up is in the works.

Losman lives downtown, and said there are a number of misconceptions about the area.

"It's a lot safer than you think," he said. "You hear a lot of stories about how unsafe it is and that's a false attitude towards it. There's also a false attitude to how beautiful it is. There are lots of beautiful trees and parks to see downtown, lots of streets. You have Elmwood, Delaware."

Losman said city beatification is one of the keys to reinvigorating Buffalo.

"We're just trying to hit up some of the communities on the West Side to get that community going," he said. "Hitting up some streets where they could start some business. They could have their own little Elmwood Avenue."

The Bills quarterback spoke of the article in Forbes Magazine that rated Buffalo as one of top cities for culture, arts and nightlife, as well as dining.

"There are many restaurants where you can eat, not just one or two like in your local suburban town," Losman said. "Every street, there's some great food you can pick up."

Losman said he felt the need to get involved because city beatification was lacking, and that someone needed to step up.

"I thought the citizens of Buffalo were itching for something like this," he said. "I've been living down there three years, hanging out with (downtown citizens) and I've had nothing but a great time. It's a way for me to show leadership in this particular area."

Growing up in California, Losman said he saw a lot of city progress without the historical and natural assets Buffalo has in place.

"There's no history (in California)," said Losman, who also said that maintenance is a city-wide responsibility. "Buffalonians need to realize there's a lot of history here. We've just gotta keep it up, keep it refurbished and realize that you can create something special."

Losman's extended the invitation to help to anyone who'll listen, but some big names will also be on hand. Losman said Sabres goaltender Ryan Miller, teammates Lee Evans, Josh Reed, Peerless Price, Marshawn Lynch and members of Goo Goo Dolls will be on hand to help.

There will be food and raffles after the event, and clean-up tools will be supplied. Local independent rock band The Stay Lows will be supplying their creative sound.

Losman said the Bills are ready for the regular season, and planning for Denver more looking at Detroit's tape. He also reiterated that the team hasn't really opened up the playbook. For all the information, click on the link above or head to our Audio Vault.

http://www.wben.com/news/wgrstory.php?newsid=2607
IP Logged

If you need help, please email me at [email protected]

nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

Re: Losman: Buffalo "Itching" For Clean
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29th, 2007, 12:59pm »

The Goos will be playing a show in Texas Friday night and Saturday.  I don't see how any of them will fly in for a couple hours.  Kudos for cleaning up, but I don't expect Goo...
IP Logged
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 29th, 2007, 1:03pm »

Interesting Undecided  Guess this writer didn't check his facts.
IP Logged

nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Aug 29th, 2007, 1:11pm »

Or maybe they were encouraged to say it to get more people at the event...

Or maybe a Goo member really will fly in for the event.  I'd love for them to be right.
IP Logged
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 29th, 2007, 1:18pm »

Or maybe the Goo 'member' is Robby's parents? You never know.

A member could fly in. I wouldn't be surprised if Robby did.
IP Logged

Marlena
Naked

Let Love in Before It's Too Late

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 29th, 2007, 5:03pm »

It's probably Damage......he'll tune all of John's guitars and fly out to Buffalo Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]