Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « Goo Goo Dolls relate to Asbury Park »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   Goo Goo Dolls relate to Asbury Park
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Goo Goo Dolls relate to Asbury Park  (Read 777 times)
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

« on: Jul 20th, 2007, 2:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

THIS CARNIVAL LIFE

Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 07/20/07
BY ED CONDRAN
CORRESPONDENT

Whenever New Jersey is on the Goo Goo Dolls' itinerary, the first city that comes to bassist/singer Robby Takac's mind is Asbury Park.

Never mind that it's been nearly half a decade since the Goo Goo Dolls set foot in that city by the sea. These days, whenever the pop-rock act hits the Garden State, it's usually headed to Holmdel, where it will play tonight at the PNC Bank Arts Center, or Atlantic City, where it will appear July 27 at the Borgata.

"Asbury Park is special to me and I think about it when we come that way, because it's America's Liverpool as far as I'm concerned," Takac said. "The town has such a rich musical legacy, and the thing I love about it is that it's weird — and I mean that in a good way. It's an unusual town and I know unusual, since we're from Buffalo."

Four years ago, the Goo Goo Dolls — including singer/guitarist Johnny Rzeznik and drummer Mike Malinin — visited Asbury Park to shoot a print ad for Chevrolet.

"Just as we got there in time to do this thing for Corvette in front of the face of a guy on a bumper car on a building, we find out that the building (Palace Amusements) was just knocked down," Takac recalled. "It was crazy. So they brought in set designers to re-create what was just knocked down. We did the shoot. It was unlike any other experience I've had in a city. But I loved playing the Fast Lane and The Stone Pony and all those other places we played when no one heard of us during the '80s."

These days the Goos, who routinely deliver such hits as "Slide," "Name" and "Iris," play the sheds often. Tonight's show at PNC Bank Arts Center marks the second time the group has played that venue since its latest album, "Let Love In," dropped 15 months ago. The disc has gone gold, but that pales in comparison to the band's breakthrough release, 1995's "A Boy Named Goo," which went double platinum, and 1998's "Dizzy Up The Girl," which hit triple platinum.

"Record sales are down across the board," Takac said. "You adjust to it and you tour more. We're glorified carnies. We're on the road for a year and a half doing what we have to do. It's fine (because) we're still together. We have many years left of this."

During the late '90s, the Goo Goo Dolls left for Los Angeles, but while working on "Let Love In," they realized their gritty hometown was more inspiring than the City of Angels. Takac and Rzeznik bought the space where they recorded their first three albums during the late '80s.

"We're updating it, and we're going to record there in October," Takac said. "We wrote and recorded the demos in Buffalo for "Let Love In.' When we left for Los Angeles to record the album, we found that we were chasing the vibe we had in Buffalo. We asked ourselves, "Why are we doing this?' So we're going to do it all, the writing and recording, in Buffalo. It's good to go back to where you're from.

"I guess that's why so many musicians stay in Asbury Park. Cities like Buffalo and Asbury Park are real, idiosyncratic and they move you."

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070720/ENT/707200318/103 1/ENT
IP Logged

If you need help, please email me at [email protected]

ChickenCookie
I'm Addicted

When he takes me in his arms I see la vie en rose.

View Profile

Re: Goo Goo Dolls relate to Asbury Park
« Reply #1 on: Jul 21st, 2007, 10:58am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jul 20th, 2007, 2:20pm, Shannon wrote:
"The town has such a rich musical legacy, and the thing I love about it is that it's weird — and I mean that in a good way. It's an unusual town and I know unusual, since we're from Buffalo."

So Buffalo's unusual?  Does that mean the people are unusual too?   :thinkin:
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]