Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « CD Review: Transformers Movie Soundtrack »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   CD Review: Transformers Movie Soundtrack
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: CD Review: Transformers Movie Soundtrack  (Read 528 times)
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

« on: Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

By Brendan Butler: 2007-07-02 11:21:00  

For Michael Bay’s Transformers, one of the most highly anticipated blockbusters of the summer, Warner Bros. is releasing the film’s soundtrack the day it opens in hopes of expedient unit sales. The new mix is chockful of spiritual hymns, vivacious emo and rock tracks. And coincidently, most of the bands featured have a recent album in stores, or will shortly.  

The sixth track off Linkin Park’s recent release, Minutes To Midnight, starts things off with the mystic “What I’ve Done,” which sadly sets a flat note much too early for a soundtrack of this caliber. Optimus Prime would not be pleased with this miscast.  

Although guess who makes their grand entrance on the very next track, and in a kick-ass way? The Smashing Pumpkins throw an apocalyptic slice off the upcoming Zeitgeist as the save-the-world anthem that any Transformers buff could stay up past 9 p.m. to indulge. There’s no doubt this would have worked better as the first track, but hey, at least it made the cut. This also shows promise for the Pumpkins who have left fans apprehensive about their future these past few years.  

Disturbed keeps the rock steady on “This Moment,” however we then downshift into “Before It’s Too Late,” the new Goo Goo Dolls ballad. As scary as it is to admit, even with the Goo’s blatant succession into on-demand soundtrack ballad machines, even Transformers needs a soft touch, and this particular number works. Obviously written for the picture, frontman John Rzeznik is no lyrical slouch--the theme of always being comfortable with who you are is present, and it offers the humanized elements of the robots that is undoubtedly relayed in the film.

Leave it to The Used to break the schmaltz with its emo-stuffed “Pretty Handsome Awkward,” one of the hotter tunes off Lies For The Liars, followed by a ball of hot fuzz, otherwise known as “Passions Killing Floor” by HIM. “My love’s a graveyard baby/And to evil we make love” can incite a frenzy for the influx of morphing battle scenes.

The soundtrack then tries to incorporate rap with “Second To None” by Styles Of Beyond, but this track is awkwardly out of place, being much better suited for a trip back in time on Snow’s 1993 release 12 Inches of Snow. Armor For Sleep’s “End Of The World” (not an R.E.M. cover, thank goodness), on the other hand, is another solid emo addition with “I wanna stay at home for the end of the world/Falling asleep when they’re dropping the bomb,” voicing how the nerds of the world would feel if what they’re seeing on the silver screen were happening in real life.

Idiot Pilot offers the poppy, methodical and at times staticky “Retina And The Sky,” officially stamping this soundtrack as a passable product. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the final two pieces, the techno-driven “Technical Difficulties” by Julien-K and “Transformers Theme” from the band that evidently won the straw contest, Mutemath. Fans may relish the new, synthesizing theme, although it’s unclear who else could listen to it without feeling geekified. The former just reeks of generic insignificance.

All in all, the Transformers soundtrack isn’t such a bad mix, this coming from someone who has little to no interest in soundtracks, or Transformers for that matter. However the CD package itself loses points for not turning into a color alternating Mercedes-Benz immediately after giving it a listen. What’s up with that?  

http://www.cinemablend.com/music/CD-Review-Transformers-Movie-Soundtrack -5015.html
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:06pm by Shannon » IP Logged

If you need help, please email me at [email protected]

djgeneral
Dizzy

GOO GOO DOLLS

adaytobeaone
View Profile

Re: CD Review: Transformers Movie Soundtrack
« Reply #1 on: Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:23pm »

It would be cool if this could sell like 100K first week.

IP Logged

My first Goo Goo Dolls concert: August 26!
Freedom Hill in Michigan.
Yay!
Pon
Goo God

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

ai3oynamedgoo
View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:40pm »

I heard the album already and compared to the 80s Transformers soundtrack, this is a piece of crap. Of course, goo is amazing as well as Link Park. Maybe I have to listen to it a few more times and see how it works with the movie...but I highly doubt it's something that I want to own.
IP Logged
djgeneral
Dizzy

GOO GOO DOLLS

adaytobeaone
View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 3rd, 2007, 1:05am »

The album is now out on iTunes.

Goo Goo Dolls have a special menetion in the new feature "best of the week"

plus the video just came out

plus the soundtrack in stores

the single version on itunes

and the actual movie with the song...the downloads should increase and it is increasing on readio and eerything.  i would love for this to get on the hot 100 but it will for sure go top 10 on HAC
IP Logged

Yay!
djgeneral
Dizzy

GOO GOO DOLLS

adaytobeaone
View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 5th, 2007, 12:59am »

The song is still climbing on HAC radio.

It is the most downloaded song on the soundtrack at iTunes.

The video will debut on the Vh1 countdown this week!!
IP Logged

Yay!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]