Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « Article About the SHU Concert »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   Article About the SHU Concert
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Article About the SHU Concert  (Read 1036 times)
Nicole
Goo God

View Profile

Article About the SHU Concert
« on: Mar 9th, 2007, 11:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Ticket sales are underway; anticipation is high  
Mikara Cimmino
Issue date: 2/15/07 Section: News

The sound of screaming fans. The reverberation of drums and bass guitars. The William H. Pitt Center packed full.

The countdown has begun for two of the possibly greatest concerts to ever hit Sacred Heart.

You know, Goo Goo Dolls, Hinder and Augustana.

But the "madness" has just begun.

"We have been going full force; getting together concert committees, advertising, and ticket sales," said Alyssa DiMaria, junior, Mahwah, N.Y.

Students like Dimaria look forward to the concerts success, like last year when the Black Eyed Peas and the **** Cat Dolls rocked the Pitt Center and shook SHU all night long.

"Well, we hope that our concert every year will be a great event for our students," said Denise Tiberio, Associate Dean of Students. "While last year we had an excellent concert offered to our student body, we work hard every day to book acts that we think will make the students happy."

Be glad SHU got some big name bands.

Tiberio explains that many popular bands among students do not perform at colleges.

"Many people don't realize that not a lot of bands want to do the college tour so we often struggle with booking bands that we can afford and are currently popular. Quite frankly last year we hit a jackpot."

But did Sacred Heart hit the jackpot this year? Students like DiMaria believe so.

"I have been a fan of the Goo Goo Dolls since their first album and I am so excited to have them come to SHU," said DiMaria. "I am beyond excited to see them again; they have a great stage performance and awesome tunes."

Between ticket sales and packing the Pitt for another day/night to remember, the spring concert is the place to be.

"The idea [for the selected bands] came about because we were so lucky with Black Eye Peas being such a popular band at the time; we had to get a band equally as good," said Tom Wuestkamp, Director of Student Activities. "That's when we [Student Activities] got lucky and found the Goo Goo Dolls as the headliners."

Passing the popularity of the Black Eyed Peas or not, tickets to the Goo Goo Dolls, Hinder and Augustana have not sold out.

"The first day of sales we sold 2,500 [tickets] which is half of the tickets available for the Goo Goo Dolls," said Kelly Linskey, junior, Seal Beach, California. "We sold about 1,100 for Hinder," she said.

SHU increased ticket sales for the 2007 concert series.

"Our capacity was increased by 1,000 after last years show," said Tiberio. "We [Student Activities] are estimating a total of 5,000 tickets being sold."

Though the one-day student special that featured both concerts for $20 last Tuesday is over, tickets are still available for an affordable price.

Student activities was able to sell these tickets for $20 and $25 the rest of the day. They also offered a package for both concerts.

"The tickets now are $25 for general admission to the Goo Goo Dolls on Friday, March 23 and $20 for Hinder on Friday, April 27," said Tiberio.

Even though the first concert is over a month away students like Linskey, and the concert committee are already preparing to rock 'n' roll.

"Personally, I am going to sleep a lot a few days prior to the concert. As for the Student Events Team, Student Activities and everyone else who will be helping with the concert, the execution is extremely intense," said Linskey. "It begins the night before the concert with setting up the stage and it really is an all night event usually starting around 6 p.m. and not ending until midnight or 1 a.m. and that's just Thursday night."

"On Friday, everyone who helps out gets to the Pitt Center around 7 a.m. Different people are designated to certain areas of the concert, such as merchandise, concessions, hospitality, and production. It's an all day affair making sure concert goers are lined up appropriately and not causing too much commotion, and making sure we have everything well organized for when the whirlwind beings."

From keeping the musicians happy to keeping students under control and making the concert memorable, preparation for the arrival of the Goo Good Dolls, Hinder and Augustana is no small task.

So grab your tickets while they last and get ready to rock.

The question is: are the Goo Goo Dolls, Hinder and Augustana ready to rock SHU style?
IP Logged
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

Re: Article About the SHU Concert
« Reply #1 on: Mar 9th, 2007, 11:30pm »

on Mar 9th, 2007, 11:21pm, the purple o wrote:
Alyssa DiMaria, junior, Mahwah, N.Y.

Quote:
"I have been a fan of the Goo Goo Dolls since their first album and I am so excited to have them come to SHU," said DiMaria. "I am beyond excited to see them again; they have a great stage performance and awesome tunes."

Wait.  What?  Alyssa DiMaria, you a liar.

Junior in college = born in 1985 - 1986 assuming all things normal.

Year of first album (on Metalblade, just to give her an extra year) = 1987

So... a 1-2 year old was not only listening to the Goos' first album, but she had the capacity to decide she liked it?

I love it.  This just made my day.  Seriously.  You people going to this show need to find this girl and school her on the band.

I couldn't even read the rest of the article...
IP Logged
Nicole
Goo God

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Mar 10th, 2007, 7:55am »

on Feb 6th, 2007, 8:20pm, the redo wrote:

The first 10 years don't exist.  The setlist proves it.

Wink
IP Logged
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 10th, 2007, 10:12am »

You are good.  I don't even know where you pulled that from, but trophy for you.

IP Logged
Nicole
Goo God

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Mar 10th, 2007, 2:44pm »

Thanks for the trophy!! That quote was from the QVC/Chat thread  Tongue
IP Logged
DWG

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 10th, 2007, 5:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

What...do you have all the good quotes bookmarked or something? That was hilarious!  All I could think of to say was maybe the kid thought the "first album" was Dizzy Up the Girl.
You're good.  

Oh, I just re-read the article, and started laughing hysterically at the last line:
"The question is: are the Goo Goo Dolls, Hinder and Augustana ready to rock SHU style?"

SHU style.    Roll Eyes
IP Logged
zomg
Goo God

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Mar 10th, 2007, 6:22pm »

SHU Style: Isn't that how unwanted guests disappear? Roll Eyes Tongue
IP Logged
d.e.n.i.s.e.
Goo God

aka "the orange o"

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Mar 10th, 2007, 6:24pm »

SHU Style, yikes...My husband's cousin just graduated from there and said the place stinks for concerts. According to her the acoustics are really bad and they do a crappy job of running the shows.

She went to the Black Eye Pea show and there was a fight in the audience. The dopey security sprayed pepper spray into the crowd. They had to stop the show, while people including the band recovered from choking on the spray.  

As for the student fan quoted, I was thinking she probably thought ABNG was the first record. I've seen a lot of magazine articles that state ABNG is their first record.
IP Logged

[img][/img]
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Mar 10th, 2007, 8:59pm »

on Mar 10th, 2007, 2:44pm, the purple o wrote:
Thanks for the trophy!! That quote was from the QVC/Chat thread  Tongue

I cannot be held accountable for anything said in that thread.

Quote:
As for the student fan quoted, I was thinking she probably thought ABNG was the first record. I've seen a lot of magazine articles that state ABNG is their first record

Okay, well, then Alyssa has a choice: she can either be determined to be a liar or just flat out dumb.  Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]