Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « Sickness doesn’t stop Goo Goo Dolls / review »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   Sickness doesn’t stop Goo Goo Dolls / review
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Sickness doesn’t stop Goo Goo Dolls / review  (Read 2663 times)
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

Sickness doesn’t stop Goo Goo Dolls / review
« on: Feb 10th, 2007, 11:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Sickness doesn’t stop Goo Goo Dolls

By Marty Rosen
Special to The Courier-Journal

Just before the Goo Goo Dolls took the stage Friday night for a sold-out concert at the Louisville Palace, my neighbor, Sarah, a college student who had driven from Bloomington-Normal, Illinois, was quite concerned about whether she’d get to hear a good show. It seems at the pre-show meet-and-greet, lead vocalist Johnny Rzeznik had looked pretty bad. “He looked sick. Really ill,” she said with wide-eyed alarm.

It turned out she need not have worried. If anything, being under the weather might have added a husky edge to Rzeznik’s melancholy charm. It didn’t stop him from roaming energetically around the stage, reaching into the audience to greet his fans, or singing a dozen-and-a-half songs during a 100-minute show that reviewed 20 years of music and saw most of the ground-floor audience on its feet throughout.

As a songwriter, Rzeznik is mostly concerned with mournful examinations of identity, pretense and trust. In songs like “Different Light” and “Iris” he sang of wanting to be seen as the man he might become, rather than judged for his past; of not wanting the world to see him in his broken, tangible form.  

Where Rzeznik sang of earnest, soulful quests, bass player Robby Takac was a bracing dose of ironic relief, singing songs such as “January Friend” like a playful, seditious punk not quite ready to fall under his bandmate’s spell.  

Earnest or cynical, the five-piece outfit was in excellent musical form, supporting the singers with nimble rhythms, broadly spaced textures and crisply executed forms. “Iris,” for instance, opened with Rzeznik playing brittle, high-register guitar arpeggios, bolstered by silvery keyboard ripples that sounded like celestial ring tones. Eventually, all that millennial richness was squelched by machine-like bursts of rhythm that built to a massive crescendo and an explosive stop.  

Speaking of massive, explosive sounds, Seymour, Ind.-based quartet The Elms opened the night with 40 minutes of elemental guitar rock that may have been the loudest 40 minutes of music anyone has heard since the 1970s. Nimble ain’t in it for these fellows. Instead, they mixed boyish charm, brute force and blues-rock riffs to build walls of sound big enough to cause (or cure) climate change.  

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070210/SCENE 04/70210020/

IP Logged

If you need help, please email me at [email protected]

nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

Re: Sickness doesn’t stop Goo Goo Dolls / review
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10th, 2007, 11:52pm »

on Feb 10th, 2007, 11:44pm, Shannon wrote:
[size=4]
Earnest or cynical, the five-piece outfit was in excellent musical form, supporting the singers with nimble rhythms, broadly spaced textures and crisply executed forms. “Iris,” for instance, opened with Rzeznik playing brittle, high-register guitar arpeggios, bolstered by silvery keyboard ripples that sounded like celestial ring tones. Eventually, all that millennial richness was squelched by machine-like bursts of rhythm that built to a massive crescendo and an explosive stop.  

Mr. Journalist is trying too hard.

Sorry.  Had to say it.  Aside from that and the fact that 1/2 the article was discussing Mr. Rzeznik's cold, this writer is alright with me.   Cheesy
IP Logged
DWG

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 10th, 2007, 11:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

lol...Marty's been hittin' the thesaurus!
IP Logged
Christina
Goo God

I got a head that don't let me sleef

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: Feb 10th, 2007, 11:56pm »

"celestial ring tones"?

Tongue
IP Logged

"i have never wanted something so badly as having people just show up at ggd concerts dressed as presidential fruit"
DWG

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 10th, 2007, 11:58pm »

I was not aware that walls of sound could effect climate change.
IP Logged
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Feb 10th, 2007, 11:59pm »

Apparently Mr. Journalist had an assignment to cram as many adverbs and adjectives into the article as possible.

Still.  Think happy thoughts.  At least they were positive adverds and adjectives.
IP Logged
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Feb 11th, 2007, 12:00am »

I didn't know something could sound silvery.
IP Logged
DWG

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 11th, 2007, 12:04am »

"Different Light".

A blast from the past...

I believe Robby sang that one.
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2007, 12:11am by Dances_with_Goo » IP Logged
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Feb 11th, 2007, 12:11am »

and not John's...

I totally skipped that paragraph.  Weird.
IP Logged
DWG

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 11th, 2007, 12:23am »

No way of tellin' who wrote that song...

(By the way, if you skipped that paragraph, you missed some good vocab words.)
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2007, 12:25am by Dances_with_Goo » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]