Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « John and his guitar (or lack thereof) »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   John and his guitar (or lack thereof)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: John and his guitar (or lack thereof)  (Read 3482 times)
d.e.n.i.s.e.
Goo God

aka "the orange o"

View Profile

John and his guitar (or lack thereof)
« on: Feb 10th, 2007, 10:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

We all know John is playing less and less guitar these days - unfortunately...

Now here's a discussion I have with my husband about the GOOs. He thinks it's so strange that the band doesn't have a permanent lead guitar player. He likes some GOO songs, but isn't what you'd call a real fan. So this fact always gives him ammo in our conversations about how good - or not - the GOOs are.

Well now with John playing less and less guitar, is there going to be a point where the GOOs don't have a permanent guitar player? I mean what's a band w/o a guitarist? It's just weird to have these "session" guys join the tour and play so much of the music w/o really being part of the band. Then the next tour they're gone and new guys come in. I'm not happy...LOL..plus the fact that I just can't warm up to Brad doesn't help.  

Brad is just the LEAST charismatic musician I've ever seen.  I'm not taking anything away from his guitar skills, I just think the guy is the stiffest, most boring guitarist I've ever seen.

OK, enough babbling for now.  

IP Logged

[img][/img]
DWG

Email

Re: John and his guitar (or lack thereof)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10th, 2007, 11:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

...for old-times' sake.

I couldn't even find a picture of him playing the "Half-caster". Remember that?

IP Logged
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Feb 10th, 2007, 11:41pm »

Believe me, I agree with most of what you are saying.  I don't think they'll ever get to the point where they won't have an actual guitar player because to me it seems like John is capable of playing, he just doesn't.  I assume he played most of the guitar parts while recording the current album so no one can technically say he's not really a guitarist.

I wish he was address this new lack of guitar playing.  Whether he feels he can't play, if he has developed some sort of tendonitis, etc, or even if his reason is flat out "I don't want to play guitar", I wish he would say something about it.  Because it is starting to look ridiculous having a new guitar hanging around his neck for every song when he doesn't even use it.  And then the flailing of the arms... don't even get me started...

I'm not much of a Brad fan either.  I think he can play, but you're right, I hardly notice him and he doesn't really interest me.  I loved Nathan and his "I'm so frigging cool" thing and Greg was just adorable and funny and adorable (did I mention adorable?), but Brad?  Eh.  We had Nathan for like 3 years and Greg for 3-4, so maybe I will warm up to Brad with time.  I do have to give him credit though.  John plays less guitar every tour and that means Brad is working harder than Nathan or Greg.  Cheesy
IP Logged
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Feb 10th, 2007, 11:43pm »

on Feb 10th, 2007, 11:30pm, DWG wrote:

...for old-times' sake.

I couldn't even find a picture of him playing the "Half-caster". Remember that?

OMG, it's a Prince style phallic guitar picture.  Alert the FCC!!!  Someone!  Think of the children!!
IP Logged
DWG

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 10th, 2007, 11:49pm »

on Feb 10th, 2007, 11:43pm, the redo wrote:

Think of the children!!

:thinkin:  Yes! That's it!

John. Play the guitar. For the children.
IP Logged
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Feb 10th, 2007, 11:55pm »

Well... I'm officially throwing in the towel on the Goos if the next appearance is John playing acoustic songs on whatever kids' show is "hip" these days.
IP Logged
DWG

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 10th, 2007, 11:57pm »

I draw the line at John doing JBJ "jazz hands" gestures.
IP Logged
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Feb 11th, 2007, 12:02am »

John talks with jazz hands sometimes.  I want to write him a letter asking him to sit on his hands in interviews (okay, and to throw out the gum).
IP Logged
carlyn
Goo God

You drown in deeper oceans Inventing new religions

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Feb 11th, 2007, 12:43pm »

I remember reading an interview with Robby where he said john just likes to free up from playing the guitar during shows nowadays, so he can concentrate on singing.  And also John thinks his guitar playing makes them sound like a bar band.  I think that if John is going to bring out a new guitar for every song, he better actually play them, or else it just looks like he's trying to show off his guitars instead of his guitar skills.  We all know that John is a great guitar player, but I don't think he realizes that and that's why he just lets the hired guys play, because he thinks they sound better without him on guitar.
IP Logged
DWG

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 11th, 2007, 1:21pm »

Wow, if that's true, then I think John should take a look back and realize that all that time that he was playing the guitar, particularly the electric guitar, actually playing solos...that the fans loved his guitar-playing abilities. I think he's a fine guitarist. He should know that if he wasn't a good guitarist after 20 years of this band being together, people would have told him so a long, long time ago.  

When the band was just a threesome, maybe they sounded like a bar band, but you know what? The energy and the vibe that they were giving off was what got the audience excited about their music. Look what happened recently when the band and their guests did that one-off of AC/DC's "You Shook Me". Yeah it was probably raw, and sounded like a bar band. But from what I read on several forums that one song was the highlight of this LLI tour so far. There was John, actually playing an electric guitar for a change, just everyone cutting loose, and it was fantastic.

I can see the point of adding additional backup musicians as the songs became more complex over time with multiple guitar parts, additional keyboards, etcetera, but to throw away another one of the original essential elements of the band, that being John's guitar-playing...it's a foolish move.  

If you pull a tree too far from its roots...
it'll slowly wither and die.
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2007, 1:41pm by Dances_with_Goo » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]