Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « Goo Goo Dolls ready to strip it down / article »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   Goo Goo Dolls ready to strip it down / article
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Goo Goo Dolls ready to strip it down / article  (Read 853 times)
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

Goo Goo Dolls ready to strip it down / article
« on: Feb 9th, 2007, 7:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Goo Goo Dolls ready to strip it down

Web Posted: 02/08/2007 04:05 PM CST

Ramiro Burr
Express-News Staff Writer  

Fans who saw the Goo Goo Dolls last September at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater can expect a slightly different show this time around, says bassist/vocalist Robby Takac. Tuesday's show in the Majestic Theatre will be a smaller, stripped-down show, he said.  

"We're going to change it up a little bit. Because of the theater setting, it's more prone to a little bit more, should I say, dramatic sets as opposed to the 'Oh my God, we've got 10,000 people sitting on a lawn that can barely make us out,'" Takac said. "Due to the fact that we've had our robotic video extravaganza, it's been a little tough to set up. So we're going to strip stuff down a bit this time.  

"We're still going to use a lot of that kind of stuff, but on a much smaller scale. Mainly due to space constraints, really."  

Formed in Buffalo, N.Y., in 1986, the Goo Goo Dolls scored a top hit in 1995 with the ballad "Name" and followed with "Iris" and "Slide." The band also includes vocalist/guitarist Johnny Rzeznik and drummer Mike Malinin.  

The band is touring behind its latest CD, "Let Love In," produced by Glen Ballard. Winning tracks include the introspective and mournful ballad "Without You Here," the chugging "Can't Let It Go," and the intense "Let Love In." The CD also includes the Goo Goo Dolls' more mellow rendition of Supertramp's "Give a Little Bit."  

Takac described the CD as a more focused album in comparison to its predecessor, 2001's "Gutterflower."  

"I think that this time, a lot of things are different. Our (2001) world was different. Our expectations of the music industry have leveled out a little bit. Things have changed dramatically since we put out 'Dizzy Up the Girl' and 'Gutterflower.' So everyone in the world was wrestling with the fact that Time magazine and Newsweek told the world that music was free, and where to go to get it. "That was a difficult time to put out records. We understand a little bit more how to use the thing that ended up doing that to us — the Internet."  

The consolidation of the recording industry and the technological advances have made things more difficult for those in music business. But Takac says the group learned to embrace change.  

"I think it (Internet) allowed us to be able to get to the people directly. The Internet has always been there, but it's never been on a mass scale that we can get to people with until recently," he said. "I think that people now know how to get to us, and we're diligent about it, and they seem to be, too. It's really worked for us.  

"With the music business changing, you've got to redefine what your expectations are of it, and I think we've been having a pretty successful run, especially internationally. Our career has somehow picked up in many places. For God's sakes, 'Iris' was just in the Top 20 over in London. There's a resurgence of people discovering us over there. And I can't credit it to much else other than the world seems to have been able to get us."  

[email protected]
San Antonio Express-News publish date Feb. 9, 2007  

http://www.mysanantonio.com/entertainment/music/stories/MYSA020907.WK.go ogoo.e7c189.html
IP Logged

If you need help, please email me at [email protected]

Saz_Goo
Goo God

If I could paint in harmony... :D

View Profile WWW

Re: Goo Goo Dolls ready to strip it down / article
« Reply #1 on: Feb 9th, 2007, 7:34am »

Cool article, thanks for that Shannon! Robby's interviews are always so well thought-out and intelligent, he rocks!

on Feb 9th, 2007, 7:18am, Shannon wrote:
"With the music business changing, you've got to redefine what your expectations are of it, and I think we've been having a pretty successful run, especially internationally. Our career has somehow picked up in many places. For God's sakes, 'Iris' was just in the Top 20 over in London. There's a resurgence of people discovering us over there. And I can't credit it to much else other than the world seems to have been able to get us."  

I'm so lame, I must admit it gave me a happy feeling that he even cares what happens to their singles in the UK. And I am proud to be one of those people who helped get Iris back in the charts, even if I did already own many copies of the song already. Tongue
IP Logged

Visit here to see all my animations --->http://www.sarahhale.co.uk

"Went to sleep at home and woke up in a shed..." ~ Out Of The Red
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

Re: Goo Goo Dolls ready to strip it down / article
« Reply #2 on: Feb 9th, 2007, 11:00am »

I don't think that's lame at all Saz. I'd be really excited too.
IP Logged

If you need help, please email me at [email protected]

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]