Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « Goo Goo Dolls album needs more ‘life’ / article »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   Goo Goo Dolls album needs more ‘life’ / article
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Goo Goo Dolls album needs more ‘life’ / article  (Read 465 times)
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

Goo Goo Dolls album needs more ‘life’ / article
« on: Oct 6th, 2006, 5:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Goo Goo Dolls album needs more ‘life’  
Claire Maloney  
Staff Writer  

Although the Goo Goo Dolls’ most recent album, “Let Love In,” was released more than five months ago, people are listening to the album for the first time and finding new reasons to love and listen to this band and its inimitable style.  

While the trio, who has been around for two decades, was looking for inspiration for “Let Love In,” their eighth album, they realized they were not finding it in their adopted home of Los Angeles, so they headed back east to rediscover their roots. Founding members, Johnny Rzeznik and Robby Takac, along with drummer Mike Malinin, moved clear across the country to Buffalo, N.Y., hometown of Rzeznik and Takac, to see if they could find that special something that spurred their move out west in the first place.

This album’s hometown inspiration is evident. The songs don’t feel fake or over-produced, like many songs coming out of Los Angeles can end up feeling today. However, some of the songs seem a bit watered down and lacked energy. Although it is commendable that the Goo Goo Dolls have been able to hold onto the edginess that made them famous, while at the same time putting a softer spin on their music, that softer spin sometimes translates into music and lyrics that have become a bit tiresome. This album needs to be injected with some more life.  

With this being said, there were good songs on “Let Love In.” Not all of them were boring, “Stay With You,” the first track off the album, being a prime example. For those who want to stick to the more traditional Goo Goo Dolls sound, “Stay With You” is the Goo Goo Dolls’ power ballad you’re looking for. The song has an inherent Goo Goo Dolls feel and has already become a hit with their fans. Rzeznik’s voice effortlessly transitions from smooth to rugged during different parts of the song, a change that doesn’t seem possible, or even desirable, with other singers. The upbeat tempo will keep the song stuck in your head for days.

It’s no wonder that the fourth track of the album, “Better Days,” was adopted by CNN as their anthem for post-Katrina relief. This song’s steady rhythm and optimistic lyrics inspire hope and confidence. Rzeznik’s smooth voice resonates well with the delicate piano in the background, and he makes me believe him when he says “tonight’s the night the world begins again.” The song is deservedly getting a lot of airplay on the radio right now.

The seventh track, “Give a Little Bit,” is a cover of Supertramp’s song by the same name. This cover was a safe choice for the Goo Goo Dolls; they do the song justice, but it would have been nice to see them infuse a little bit of their own style into the song. “Can’t Let It Go,” track eight, is the most energetic track from the album. It has more of a hard rock vibe than the other songs, with strong guitar and vocals, but still charms the listener with the quintessential poetic lyrics the Goo Goo Dolls are known for.  

If you are a true blue Goo Goo Dolls fan, you will be pleased with this album. It has the same style that made their 1998 “Dizzy up the Girl” such a mega-hit. Power ballads and sappy lyrics run amuck on “Let Love In,” but the listener is left wanting something more.

http://www.flyernews.com/article.php?section=AE&volume=54&issue= 9&artnum=04

**I thought this review was very well balanced. While the reviewer had some constructive criticisms she also balanced it nicely with the good things. Very well written.**
« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2006, 5:07pm by Shannon » IP Logged

If you need help, please email me at [email protected]

Rock2J
Goo God

I'm a geek of my word

View Profile Email

Re: Goo Goo Dolls album needs more ‘life’ / articl
« Reply #1 on: Oct 6th, 2006, 9:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I love this album, and the tracks mentioned by the reviewer are my favourites on the album.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]