Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « Putting an end to the Goo gab-Michael Christopher »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   Putting an end to the Goo gab-Michael Christopher
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Putting an end to the Goo gab-Michael Christopher  (Read 950 times)
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

Putting an end to the Goo gab-Michael Christopher
« on: Sep 16th, 2006, 8:58am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Putting an end to the Goo gab

09/16/2006

y MICHAEL CHRISTOPHER [email protected]Contrary to popular rumor, Rock Music Menu has not been bought out and turned into "Goo Goo Dolls Update."But the response to the recent series of articles on the band has surpassed even the Bruce Springsteen lovefest last fall.  

Fans and non-fans continue to write in, and venting about the articles on message boards across the Internet remains hotter than ever.Can the band legally be called sell-outs? Was I right in tagging them as such? Doesn’t bass player Robby Takac have better things to do than answer critics - like go to band practice?

Finally, and I mean that in the truest sense of the word, the one person who can answer almost all of the above has decided to speak up. Head Doll Johnny Rzeznik decided to check-in this week, and was surprisingly happy to open up the dialogue on, among other charges, that his writing is contrived and songwriting geared towards chart success and not much more.

"I live and breathe this - every day," the singer/guitarist said. "I am lucky that I get to be creative and do what I love.I realized if I became involved in creating something and loving it, nurturing it, I could affect a more positive result."

Rzeznik delivered an impassioned response seemingly not in defense or out of obligation, but as a human being who genuinely feels he has been blessed to do whatever the heck he wants with his talent, and has been judged unfairly in the last few weeks.

Though admitting to being able to see "from a critical perspective" how he could be called a sell-out, he denied the charge, saying that he’s not the same person he was back when the Goo Goo Dolls were struggling to break onto the radio let alone the charts.

"And I’m grateful for it."  

Even after being questioned on both his craft and integrity, Rzeznik retorted as a stand-up guy who welcomed the brunt of criticism, deserved or not, but warns not to go after his fans.

"You are allowed to judge me unfairly - but not them!" he said, "Please don’t waste~ink on tearing people down, it’s ugly and untoward."

One of the key aspects lost in these exchanges between myself, the bandmembers and the fans is that this isn’t personal.In no way do I dislike or discredit the Goo Goo Dolls as people, and have confessed to once being a big fan.Even after Takac plastered my picture on his MySpace page did I see this as anything more than rich theater.

And truthfully it’s hard to bear any ill will towards a group so hardcore on its beliefs that some critics, including myself, have them pegged wrong as selling out when they swear it’s just a path they are on.

Could Rzeznik be attempting to save face? Of course.But he could also be a forthright guy whose youth came out in one style of music that changed into a completely different beast as he matured.

The Goo Goo Dolls music today still seems bland to me when compared to barnburners they spat out in the past, but something that carries more weight than the music is the human side when the stereo is turned off.And when judging on that angle alone - Rzeznik came off as nothing but class.  

©DelcoTimes 2006  

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17204936&BRD=1675&PAG= 461&dept_id=18179&rfi=6
IP Logged

If you need help, please email me at [email protected]

nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

Re: Putting an end to the Goo gab-Michael Christop
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16th, 2006, 3:07pm »

Well, thank the lord!  This is over.
IP Logged
goober_1013
Goo God

House, MD

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: Sep 16th, 2006, 7:36pm »

on Sep 16th, 2006, 3:07pm, the red o wrote:
Well, thank the lord!  This is over.

amen to that!  Grin
IP Logged

UPDATED July 10th, 2006
www.members.tripod.com/deepfriedboot

tkc1989
Goo God

~...Tonight's the night the world begins again...~

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Sep 18th, 2006, 4:17pm »

Can't say I'm a big fan of the guy but writing that article took some guts.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]