Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « Rock Music Menu: Covered in Goo: The fans respond »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   Rock Music Menu: Covered in Goo: The fans respond
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Rock Music Menu: Covered in Goo: The fans respond  (Read 548 times)
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

« on: Sep 8th, 2006, 7:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

By MICHAEL CHRISTOPHER, [email protected]
09/08/2006

An e-mail exchange between myself and Goo Goo Dolls bassist Robby Takac was the subject of last week’s Rock Music Menu, and a dozen or so letters of support for the band amassed, as expected, after the piece hit newsstands.  

Imagine my surprise, waking up a few days afterwards, yawning my way through another morning, and finding my inbox filled with well over a hundred e-mails on the subject. Something was up, and I was quickly clued in.

Takac, who still refused to defend, or at least acknowledge, the sell-out tag I placed on his group, had posted our entire e-mail history and two weeks worth of Rock Music Menu columns on his MySpace page(www.myspace.com/robbyslobby); he also decided to put up a picture of yours truly on the site to further encourage his "little fighters" to "drop me a line."

Suffice to say, there were plenty of e-mails that defended the band, and if nothing else, Goo Goo Dolls do have an extremely involved and dedicated fanbase. I received deeply personal stories of how the band had affected people’s lives, and how kind they had been to fans barely out of diapers whose parents brought them to the show.Also pointed out was the tireless work the group has done with USA Harvest, an organization that assists the hungry across the country.Others stood firm in the belief that their favorite artist could never be as fake as I described.

Kathryn Bigoss said, "I cannot believe that someone would write such disrespectful and hateful comments on such a wonderful band. They have worked so hard to get where they are, and I admire them for that. I have been a fan since the beginning, and I will never stop being a fan."

The Goo’s Inner Machine fan club was another hot topic, which has followers shell out the $30 just to access certain features the band Web site that smaller acts offer for free. Members argued in hollow defense "The band has to eat," and "They need to make money somehow."

Of course, there were the sheep who would champion the band in an e-mail, then run like an obedient lapdog back to Takac’s site and post how they "Gave it to me good," and "He’s going to be sorry he messed with the Goo Army," etc.  

Some fans expressed their anger through some pretty vile (and unprintable) insults, and two even attempted to send a virus via e-mail.I received doctored pictures of myself, threats to show up on my doorstep, which, admittedly they were from the junior high sect, but some of those kids can scrap!A harder edged stance was also taken by the soccer moms whom I referred to as the Goo Goo Dolls target audience these days.

"The next time you insult soccer moms," began Heidi Dowell, "Remember that even politicians know better than to do that. We control the future. We have the money, we have time to devote to causes and we have a tremendous influence in the community."

Another threatened to have my job, saying that "Soccer moms have the ability to strip those who think they have some sort of power, including you. Don’t be surprised if (Daily Times Editor) Phil Heron has you kissing the pavement before you get the chance to say another unkind word about the Goo Goo Dolls."

Surprisingly though, at least one-third of the correspondence I received agreed on some level about the band, once named one of the "50 Worst Artists in Music History" by Blender Magazine, selling out and losing sight of its musical vision.According to some, Goo Goo Dolls is even blindly ignoring its own hardcore fan’s displeasure.

"Not everyone hates you for speaking the truth. I posted a comment on (Robby’s) page along the same lines of everything you said, including that I used to love them," wrote Kyla Crowley. "He wrote back this completely hilarious thing about ‘using all my negative energy to put positive things into the world’ and how he ‘doesn’t need any bad vibes on my page.’"  

Describing the Goo Goo Dolls new CD "Let Love In," Roni wrote, "The band is still great live but the songs lack edge and creativity to them. While the song "Better Days" has great sentiment and is a pretty song, one out of a dozen does not make a great CD."

Takac himself did write back, saying I should use my "keen wit and investigative skills for good and try to channel that energy towards something real," and suggesting I start going after President Bush, Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld and Condoleezza Rice.

Sorry Robby, but until those four start a rock band, I think I’ll leave the politicizing to the pundits.

To close this one out, it’s unbelievable how some people can’t grasp the fact that not everyone has to like their favorite band.That’s what makes being a musician, fan, and critic so great - debate can be sparked on so many topics that can be argued until the end of time. I personally don’t enjoy the Goo Goo Dolls’ music anymore, and stand behind my sentiments 100 percent that the guys have sold out and create music that is less about a rock and roll bite, and more about a Top 40 cuddle.  

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17167625&BRD=1675&PAG= 461&dept_id=18179&rfi=6

©DelcoTimes 2006  

Will the madness ever end? Undecided
IP Logged

If you need help, please email me at [email protected]

Shaun
I'm Addicted

Goo Goo Goo

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Rock Music Menu: Covered in Goo: The fans resp
« Reply #1 on: Sep 8th, 2006, 12:14pm »

Wow this is getting petty. As the guy said he's a music critic ad o one has the same tastes. He's paid to critisize. Bit harsh what he had said but looks like Robby is going for the jugular lol. Wonder whats next? And on what level do you guys agree?
IP Logged
Christina
Goo God

I got a head that don't let me sleef

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: Sep 8th, 2006, 1:21pm »

If people didn't harass the critic in the first place, he never would've written a second article. Or a third.

It's this kind of thing that humiliates me to be a fan sometimes.
Food for thought.
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2006, 9:43pm by Christina » IP Logged

"i have never wanted something so badly as having people just show up at ggd concerts dressed as presidential fruit"
the green o

Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 8th, 2006, 1:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Over the years, we've read articles & reviews by a lot of critics who used the words "sell-out".
In the past, Robby would just let it roll off his back, smile and go about his business happily.
I am disappointed that he's chosen to take issue with this particular critic in the way he has.
Hopefully they stop doing this to each other soon.
It's making both sides look bad.

Make peace, boys.
IP Logged
Wendy
Naked

hi

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 8th, 2006, 2:48pm »

This is a nightmare.  I can just see this getting picked up by some national entertainment news or god forbid--some tabloid. Robby would have to hire a publicist...(does he have a publicist?). It would be awful! Wink

It's like trying to argue with a racist.....you're never gonna change their mind, so why bother?

Please don't write to him anymore, he's just gonna to use your words against you. Fuck him!
IP Logged

"You will always be lucky if you know how to make friends
with strange cats." -- Colonial American proverb
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Sep 8th, 2006, 5:14pm »

Okay.

Critic has an opinion, like the 1000000 critics before him.  His opinion is neither the nicest nor the meanest about the Goos and this article should have been forgotten about like the 1000000 before.  Critic has an awful lot of time and not much to write about if he has devoted 3 weeks worth of articles to this.  Doesn't he have other bands to praise or trash?  Is this the highlight of his career?

Robby disagrees.  Robby encourages fans to email critic, failing to say "Hey, um, let's sound like rational people supporting a band we love".  Fans email, resulting in everything from support of critic to immature name calling  to death threats.

When I (and others, but I'll just speak for me) criticized LLI and the IM I got a lot of "Stop being so negative.  Let love in." comments.  So we all need to love the Goos for everything they do, but the minute someone disagrees, we're supposed to stop with the love and start with the death threats?

We all know that critics tend to be people "who can't, therefore they criticize" so it's best to just ignore them.  However, the behavior of a certain band member and more so, the behavior of some fans has made me pretty damn embarassed to be part of the Goo community.
IP Logged
collegeunm
Goo God

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Sep 9th, 2006, 12:55pm »

I never emailed that guy because I felt it was a waste....whats the point in argueing with someone about that persons opinion even if I don't agree with it...we all don't have to agree with others.....an opinions an opinion whether we agree with it or not and any argument(which some of the emails that that dude responded with some people that posted their email exchange with the dude seemed to come down to) based on opinion is not going to get you anywhere really...

Shannon
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]