Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « TONAWANDA NEWS-Good Charamel Bands Touring w/ GOO »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   TONAWANDA NEWS-Good Charamel Bands Touring w/ GOO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: TONAWANDA NEWS-Good Charamel Bands Touring w/ GOO  (Read 456 times)
Triest
Dizzy

View Profile

TONAWANDA NEWS-Good Charamel Bands Touring w/ GOO
« on: Jul 20th, 2006, 6:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Local bands offered a glimpse of the big-time

Last Conservative  
Contributed Photo / Night & Day

BY PAUL LANE
Night & Day

When the Goo Goo Dolls aren’t busy making platinum-selling records, some of the band’s members take time to help other musicians make it.

Robby Takac, the Goos’ bassist, has done so for a few years as founder of Good Charamel Records. The record label has signed several Buffalo-area bands, giving them a place to record and play.

Two of those bands, The Juliet Dagger and Last Conservative, are performing some dates with the Goos and Counting Crows this summer. Their second-stage act will be a part of Saturday’s stop at Darien Lake, and the bands will perform in an after-party at Club Infinity in Williamsville.

Both groups have been busy this year. Last Conservative opened some dates in January on Bon Jovi’s “Have a Nice Day” tour and will take part in the Vans Warped Tour on Aug. 1 at Darien Lake, while Juliet Dagger returned last month from some shows in Japan.

“Starting (the tour) off in Japan was just unbelievable,” said Erin Roberts, Juliet Dagger’s singer/guitarist. “That just goes down as the highlight of my career right now.”

Roberts, speaking via cell phone on a tour bus “somewhere in Colorado, I think,” recruited a new drummer, Dee Phillips, just before the group hit the road. By her replacing former drummer Josh Heatley, Juliet Dagger is now an all-female group.

“She definitely got thrown into the fire,” Roberts said. “It’s cool to be officially an all-girl band. It solidifies the legitimacy of it ... every girl can play their instrument really well.”

The group, rounded out by bassist Leisha Gray, is in the midst of its longest tour to date. The group has performed nationwide since forming in 2003, but Roberts realizes the significance of being linked to the Goos and Counting Crows.

“This is one of the most important (tours) to date,” she said. “It’s weird because we’re playing to a lot of Goo Goo Dolls fans. It’s not our usual crowd, but they’re so sweet and so receptive.”

Members of Last Conservative are also a bit out of their element. More used to club dates, singer T.J. Zindle and guitarist David Julian said outdoor venues like Darien Lake present a unique show.

“The lighting is different, the effects ... I feel like I should be kicking my feet up in the sand instead of playing guitar,” Julian said.

Some venues have proven particularly challenging, such a Sacramento, Calif., show where the temperature reached 113 degrees.

“It’s tough,” Julian said. “You try to stay out of the heat as much as you can until you’re on stage.”

Both musicians were quick to add, though, that they are enjoying themselves.

“I’m a huge Counting Crows fan,” Zindle said. “It’s been cool ... just to be on the same bill as them.”

“We’ve seen the show I don’t know how many times now, but we’re not sick of it at all,” Julian said. “It’s probably one of the best shows I’ve seen (the Goos) do.”

Saturday’s show ends a break for both bands. The groups will play this weekend, then resume in full on the tour in mid-August.

New records are in the works for both bands, with Last Conservative’s album coming out in late August and Juliet Dagger’s CD due in the winter. Both groups are happy to be playing some of that new material before their hometown fans.

“Touring, to me, is like a necessary evil,” Roberts said. “I get so excited when we get to come home and play a show. Buffalo is my heart.”

“It’s like an ideal situation,” Zindle said of Darien Lake, where his group previously performed with the Goos a couple summers ago. “You have friends and family, and everyone’s into the music.

“This tour is a definite jolt of electricity.”

Contact Paul Lane at 693-1000, Ext. 362.

http://www.tonawanda-news.com/nightandday/local_story_201115734.html?key word=secondarystory

IF YOU GO (Of Course You Will!  Cool )

• WHAT: Second-stage performances by The Juliet Dagger and Last Conservative.

• WHEN: 6 p.m. Saturday at Darien Lake Performing Arts Center, Darien Center; after-party at 10 p.m. Saturday at Club Infinity, 8166 Main St., Williamsville.

• MORE INFORMATION: Call 565-0110 or visit goodcharamel.com.

•••

• WHAT: Last Conservative performing in the Vans Warped Tour.

• WHEN: Noon Aug. 1.

• WHERE: Darien Lake Performing Arts Center, Darien Center.

• MORE INFORMATION: Visit myspace.com/lastconservative.

Stay True & Rock On!
Triest

:jammin:
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2006, 6:20pm by Triest » IP Logged
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

Re: TONAWANDA NEWS-Good Charamel Bands Touring w/
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20th, 2006, 9:12pm »

Thanks for posting Triest. I've been gone all day and didn't get a chance to post this.
IP Logged

If you need help, please email me at [email protected]

YoursGOOLY
Goo God

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 24th, 2006, 11:21pm »

Thanks for posting this...I didn't see it 'til now.  Embarassed
IP Logged

Iris74
Goo God

Caught in the breakdown

irysbren
View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 25th, 2006, 3:42pm »

Me either.  I thought LC were going to open the main stage..  Cry Funny thing is, I didn't hear them and I did get there fairly early.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]