Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « John covering U2 »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   John covering U2
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: John covering U2  (Read 2822 times)
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

John covering U2
« on: Jun 6th, 2005, 8:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Saw the tracklist on AG and found this article...

Pioneering guitarist and hitmaker Les Paul, a born tinkerer who invented the modern rock guitar and multi-track recording, hits the ripe old age of 90 this month, and a series of records, books, events and awards will mark the occasion, including a best-of reissue and an all-star collaborative project — his first new album in decades.

Les Paul’s alma mater, Capitol Records — where, beginning in 1948, he racked up a decade-long string of hits (most in tandem with wife and singer Mary Ford) — puts some candles on the birthday cake with the best-of, single-disc compilation Les Paul with Mary Ford: The Best of the Capitol Masters (90th Birthday Edition). It’s a reissue of a 1992 sampler distilled from Capitol’s 1991 four-disc boxed set Les Paul: The Legend and the Legacy. The new edition, set to street June 7 from Capitol/EMI, adds three tracks from the box ("Brazil," "In the Mood" and the radio-show excerpt "Case of the Missing Les Paulverizer").

Capitol has no firm release date (sources say late summer/early fall) for its second offering: a potential Grammy contender pairing Les Paul with an all-star cast of classic and modern-day musicians. The list of cohorts includes guitar gods Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck, Sting, Goo Goo Doll Johnny Rzeznik, Joss Stone, Joan Osborne, Peter Frampton, ZZ Top’s Billy Gibbons, Bon Jovi’s Richie Sambora and Neal Schon (Journey).

Publishing and label vet Bob Cutarella and Grammy-nominated producer Fran Cathcart are helming the album project. The concept is simple: "Take great songs from the ’60s, ’70s, ’80s — pop rock classics — and redo them with good pairings of people, and Les will play on each of them," Cutarella tells ICE.

Nineteen tracks are already in the can, with more artists climbing aboard every day. Artists performing with Paul include Sting, Stone and guitarist Kenny Wayne Shepherd on the 1994 Bonnie Raitt hit and early single candidate "Love Sneakin’ Up on You"; Rzeznik on the U2 song "All I Want Is You"; Gibbons essaying a "boogie swamp shuffle version" of the Moon Martin-penned Robert Palmer hit "Bad Case of Loving You (Doctor, Doctor)"; Frampton singing and playing on Atlanta Rhythm Section’s 1977 Top 10 "So in to You"; and Sambora tackling the Paul McCartney Band on the Run gem "Let Me Roll It."

In the spirit of Les Paul — who, Cutarella jokes, will customize anything — the producers lifted the vocals from two Sam Cooke tracks, the 1964 hit "Good News" and "(Somebody) Ease My Troublin’ Mind." "We recut the tracks around [Sam Cooke’s] vocal," says Cutarella, "and put Eric Clapton on one ["(Somebody) Ease My Troublin’ Mind"] and Jeff Beck on another ["Good News"]." Another potential standout cut, which, at the time of the interview was still being hammered out, is a version of the Sonny Boy Williamson classic "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl," set to feature Chess guitar icon Buddy Guy and Keith Richards.  

–Michael Amicone

http://www.icemagazine.com/stories/219/lespaul.shtm

As a big U2 fan and a fan of the song, this may be the coolest news I've heard in a long time.   Cheesy
IP Logged
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

Re: John covering U2
« Reply #1 on: Jun 6th, 2005, 8:08pm »

Here are the lyrics for those of you not familiar with the song:

You say you want
Diamonds on a ring of gold
You say you want
Your story to remain untold

But all the promises we make
From the cradle to the grave
When all I want is you

You say you’ll give me
A highway with no one on it
Treasure just to look upon it
All the riches in the night

You say you’ll give me
Eyes in a moon of blindness
A river in a time of dryness
A harbour in the tempest
But all the promises we make
When all I want is you

You say you want
Your love to work out right
To last with me through the night

You say you want
Diamonds on a ring of gold
Your story to remain untold
Your love not to grow cold

All the promises we break
When all I want is you

You...all I want is...
You...all I want is...
You...all I want is...
You...
IP Logged
crazy4goo
Goo God

take what you need...take what you need...from me

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jun 6th, 2005, 8:43pm »

He's 90 and still rockin?  Now THATS impressive.  Good for him,  I'll definately be buying that one! :thumbsup:
IP Logged

Rock2J
Goo God

I'm a geek of my word

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 6th, 2005, 8:57pm »

I'm not too sure now if it's a good thing or a bad thing. I love the song but the last thing I would want is a bad cover version of it.  

I'm optimistic about John being able to do a good cover, but I'll get a lot of stick from my fellow U2 fans either way. They aren't a big fan of song covers and neither am I, and covering a U2 song is like saying 'I wanna be the next Michael Jordan'.
IP Logged
buffalowing43
Up, Up, Up

buffalowing43   sabrefan374
View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jun 7th, 2005, 10:48am »

i don't think i've ever heard a bad cover from the goo goo dolls (at least since SSCW era) so i have faith in mr.rzeznik
IP Logged

you're all i'm not. but i don't need what you ain't got.
Dream of Goo
I'm Addicted

'DreamAway'

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jun 7th, 2005, 11:44am »

on Jun 7th, 2005, 10:48am, buffalowing43 wrote:
i don't think i've ever heard a bad cover from the goo goo dolls (at least since SSCW era) so i have faith in mr.rzeznik

i agree.  John can make any song sound really good and give heart to it to make it his own, the guys got talent. I mean when i heard  the goos version 'nothing can change you' i was surprised it was a cover of Tommy keens song cos it sounded like a goo original - somthing john would write and stuff. I look forward to hearing it.
One qustion though has he finished the goos album before making this song? heheh
IP Logged

"I'm trying to picture some little girl who's favorite bands are like the Goo Goo Dolls and Savage Garden or 'N Sync goin 'Aw, that Johnny is so cute. I'm going to buy all his early records,' and putting it on and then screaming and running to her parents."~ Robby Takac

januaryfriend27
Goo God

Januaryfriend27
View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 7th, 2005, 7:26pm »

OMG OMG OMG

I love Johnny!  I love that U2 song! Put the 2 together, and you got me  :drool:   I NEED IT!  

All I Want Is You is my boyfriend and I's "song". Awwww, cute.
IP Logged

~*Angela Goo*~

-So I'll survive, god its good to be alive-
THE sLaVe GiRl
Goo God

...you were no angel, and I was no sin...

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 7th, 2005, 8:55pm »

Quote:
Rzeznik on the U2 song "All I Want Is You"

:woohoo:

i'm about to PEE MY PANTS!!
IP Logged

~ * ~ s h e l l y ~ * ~

http://www.myspace.com/crystalballergoo
SassyMay
Goo God

~Feb. 20, 1967-April 5, 1994 R.I.P.~

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jun 7th, 2005, 9:33pm »

lol!i downloaded it and it's a good song!so i have a lot of fait in johnny that he'll make it sound better!
IP Logged

myspace
http://www.myspace.com/sweetcharade0
Justice for Kurt
http://www.justiceforkurt.com

goober_1013
Goo God

House, MD

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: Jun 8th, 2005, 7:22pm »

dug out my U2 greatest hits CD and gave it a listen. . .i actually liked!  and from the opening chords of the guitar and notes of the first lyrics, i think this is going to be a great cover.  after listening to it, i can see why he picked this particular song, it's perfect for him. . . Grin
IP Logged

UPDATED July 10th, 2006
www.members.tripod.com/deepfriedboot

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]