Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « This is the end... »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   This is the end...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: This is the end...  (Read 1098 times)
Iggy_the_Cat
Up, Up, Up

theres knowledge wrapped in blankets on the street

M4RK02
View Profile Email

This is the end...
« on: Jan 31st, 2005, 4:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've heard a lot of people discussing on this board about the possibility that the upcoming album will be the Goos last.  While there is method to this madness, I disagree with them whole heartedly (even from a non-bias perspective).  

I'm guessing that people are making this assumption because this is their last album they are legally obligated to produce for Warner Bros.

This DOES NOT mean the Goo Goo Dolls will be disbanding.  There are hundreds of bands that have to renew contracts with their label or simply sign over to another label.  Considering their success...and even recent success... a label would have to be brain-dead to refuse a contract.

No matter what, the Goo Goo Dolls will make money for whatever record company they are signed to.  Money talks.

Now maybe I'm "so outta line" but if people are making their assumptions because of the end of the contract...I have to say they're mistaken.  But maybe I'm missing something.   Has one of the band members or a representative of the band made an official statement regarding the matter?

Just my thoughts...

I just think they'll be around a lot longer than people think...

come on... Look at the Stones!!!!!
IP Logged
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

Re: This is the end...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31st, 2005, 5:07pm »

I think it will be the last record for the Goos.  If not, maybe one more.  But it has nothing to do with the record contract.

I have absolutely no idea what kind of contract the Goos have with Warner Bros and don't really know how anyone else knows.  So I'm not basing my guesses on legalities.

Here are the reasons I think the Goos are coming to an end.  To start with, they have all said that they didn't want to be "40 and a Goo Goo Doll".  Yes, one has hit that point, but they seem to have been clear that they weren't planning to do it forever.  Secondly, they have said it is hard to have a real life when you're in a band.  At least two members of the band have said they wanted a family and kids and seem to be aware that they should quit the touring thing before then.  All of them have begun new activities such as producing and playing for other artists, activities that can be done from one place and don't require travel.  Also, it seems like it keeps taking longer for them to finish another record, so it must be something that is difficult to keep doing.

I don't think the Goos would have a problem resigning to Warner Bros or another label, as they have remained quite popular (hey, if Mariah Carey can be paid to leave a label, someone will pay to have the Goos).  But I don't think they would sign on to another contract just for money.  I'm sure they all have more than they ever thought they would and I don't think any of them has a $1000/day crack habit to afford.

Anyways.  I hope I'm wrong.  I hope I'm terribly wrong and in 15 years, when the Goos announce their 2020 tour for their 15th record, you can all laugh at me and tell me how wrong I was.
IP Logged
Iggy_the_Cat
Up, Up, Up

theres knowledge wrapped in blankets on the street

M4RK02
View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 31st, 2005, 5:14pm »

nmf016...

just to clear something up... I didn't mean to sound like the Goos would sign just for the money... sadly, record labels don't care who the Goo Goo Dolls are...they care about the dollar sign attached to their name...so that's what I was referring to...

I still think that them "saying" the don't want to be a "goo goo doll" when they're 40 doesn't mean they won't be around.  

Yes, they've gone on to do some different projects but when interviewed about the Ryan Cabrera album...John said something like " It was a lot of fun, but I miss my band" ....this seems to be the indication to me....

These guys have to much passion for what they do, and they've worked to hard to just walk away, no matter what they say now.
IP Logged
Lea
Goo God

RogueUK

Lea32R
View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 31st, 2005, 5:42pm »

on Jan 31st, 2005, 5:07pm, nmf016 wrote:
 I'm sure they all have more than they ever thought they would and I don't think any of them has a $1000/day crack habit to afford.

Nope, just Robby's Pez habit  Wink

Iggy_the_Cat, my assumptions personally came from various statements that John in particular has made. Things he has said about how he "wants to try writing for movies" instead of being in the band (although why he can't do this and still front the band is a mystery to me...I mean, hello...'Iris'?!) and the one that nmf016 mentioned, about "I don't want to be a 40-year old Goo Goo Doll". There was another interview I read where the interviewer asked the question "What do you want to be doing in ten years time?" and John replied "Not this."

I'd love to be wrong though, I seriously would.
IP Logged

Sarah
I'm Addicted

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jan 31st, 2005, 6:11pm »

As far as I'm concerned, until those dreaded words leave the lips of one of three men: Johnny, Robby or Mike, this isn't the last album.

:dunno:
IP Logged

GlitteringGoo
Goo God

glittergoldjem
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 31st, 2005, 6:55pm »

on Jan 31st, 2005, 6:11pm, Sarah wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, until those dreaded words leave the lips of one of three men: Johnny, Robby or Mike, this isn't the last album.

:dunno:

Thank you! I agree with Sarah! I really don't care to hear about hearsay anyone heard either that supposidly came from a 'close source', until I read an offical statement or hear it from their lips it's unoffical to me.
IP Logged

www.myspace.com/starontherisexoxo
www.twitter.com/glitteringgoo
www.facebook.com/BULoveIt07 (I may not come up so just PM me and we can find each other lol)
SassyMay
Goo God

~Feb. 20, 1967-April 5, 1994 R.I.P.~

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jan 31st, 2005, 7:52pm »

I hope it's not but you know they're so happy with what they do i don't think this will be they're last record and robby will probably keep pushing john to keep going.
IP Logged

myspace
http://www.myspace.com/sweetcharade0
Justice for Kurt
http://www.justiceforkurt.com

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]