Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « Nurses? Question »

The World of Goo Boards
   Off Topic Board
   Off Topic Board
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   Nurses? Question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Nurses? Question  (Read 893 times)
iris3732
Goo God

I can feel it like a curse.

View Profile

Nurses? Question
« on: May 7th, 2007, 4:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Ok so today I gave blood....tried to give. Last time was 7 years ago and I fainted but this time I made sure I had plenty to eat before hand and I did not pass out!....little light-headed at one point but whatever...

Unfortunately, midway through they said my blood flow stopped. They said my vein just "shut off." I was wondering is this the same thing as blood clotting? And maybe I should have drunk more water? So if I try again (third time's a charm right) will it work better if I drink a ton of water beforehand?

It was really annoying because I went through all that and they weren't sure if they even got enough from me to use.
IP Logged

all I can do is try not to screw this up again
and just be friends
i'd rather be dead
~the marvelous 3

you say it's a good thing
that you float in the air....
~weezer
DWG

Email

Re: Nurses? Question
« Reply #1 on: May 7th, 2007, 5:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm not a nurse, but a medical technologist.  
I don't think they meant that what happened had anything to do with blood clotting. What probably happened was that the  vein collapsed. Once it does that, the blood doesn't flow fast enough to collect.
I used to draw blood (not for transfusions, but just for blood tests), and sometimes a person's vein would collapse.  

It was just the (bad) luck of the draw I think.
Maybe next time, in addition to drinking water beforehand, have them look at the vein on your other arm; maybe that would be a better site to draw from.
IP Logged
iris3732
Goo God

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 7th, 2007, 6:20pm »

Ohh ok. "collapsed" yes, I like that better than "shut off." Smiley they said it had a reaction or something

yeah, the vein in my other arm is really small so that probably wouldn't work  Undecided

well damn. this better work next time. stupid vein.
IP Logged

and just be friends
i'd rather be dead
~the marvelous 3

~weezer
DWG

Email

« Reply #3 on: May 7th, 2007, 7:17pm »

Some people just have more difficult veins to work with.
You were able to donate once before, so you should be alright the next time.
Give it one more try. If it doesn't work, at least you gave it your best shot.  

Hey, I wonder if you did some arm exercises before going to donate...if that would help improve the circulation in your arms?
IP Logged
iris3732
Goo God

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: May 7th, 2007, 9:09pm »

on May 7th, 2007, 7:17pm, DWG wrote:
Hey, I wonder if you did some arm exercises before going to donate...if that would help improve the circulation in your arms?

I wonder if that would help too....especially since it was FREEZING in the building. When the nurse tested my hemoglobin she said she had a hard time getting enough blood out of my finger because they were so cold. Maybe arm exercises would warm me up and get the blood flowing.

All things to take into consideration next time Smiley
IP Logged

and just be friends
i'd rather be dead
~the marvelous 3

~weezer
DWG

Email

« Reply #5 on: May 7th, 2007, 9:40pm »

I definitely agree that the cold temp in the building has an effect. I went to get some testing done recently. The building had to be about 55 degrees inside, and they're trying to take blood pressure measurements and find pulses. They were having trouble with me and the lady beside me. The reports said there were some things I should have my doctor investigate further. After going for a physical and an ultrasound test, they said everything looked fine. So I think the cold temp during the original test really gave false readings.  Tongue
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]