Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « Virginia Tech Rampage »

The World of Goo Boards
   Off Topic Board
   Off Topic Board
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   Virginia Tech Rampage
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Virginia Tech Rampage  (Read 2194 times)
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

Virginia Tech Rampage
« on: Apr 16th, 2007, 1:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Death Toll in Virginia Tech Rampage at 31
By SUE LINDSEY
AP
BLACKSBURG, Va. (April 16) - A gunman opened fire in a dorm and classroom at Virginia Tech on Monday, killing at least 30 people in the deadliest shooting rampage in U.S. history, government officials told The Associated Press. The gunman was killed, bringing to death toll to 31, but it was unclear if he was shot by police or took his own life.  

"Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions," said Virginia Tech president Charles Steger. "The university is shocked and indeed horrified."  

The name of the gunman was not immediately released, and investigators offered no motive for the attack. It was not clear if the gunman was a student.  

The shootings spread panic and confusion on campus, with witnesses reporting students jumping out the windows of a classroom building to escape the gunfire. SWAT team members with helmets, flak jackets and assault rifles swarmed over the campus. Students and faculty members carried out some of the wounded themselves, without waiting for ambulances to arrive.  

The bloodbath took place at opposite sides of the 2,600-acre campus, beginning at about 7:15 a.m. at West Ambler Johnston, a coed dormitory that houses 895 people, and continuing at least two hours later at Norris Hall, an engineering building about a half-mile away, authorities said.  

Police said they were still investigating the shooting at the dorm when they got word of gunfire at the classroom building.  

After the first shots were fired, students were warned to stay indoors and away from the windows. But some students said they thought the precautions had been lifted by the time the second burst of gunfire was heard, and some bitterly questioned why the gunman was able to strike a second time, two hours after the bloodshed began.  

FBI spokesman Richard Kolko in Washington said there was no evidence to suggest it was a terrorist attack, "but all avenues will be explored."  

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/death-toll-in-virginia-tech-ramp age-at/20070416102509990001
« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2007, 1:59pm by Shannon » IP Logged

If you need help, please email me at [email protected]

Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

Re: Virginia Tech Rampage
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16th, 2007, 1:59pm »

This is unbelievably sad and scary. What is this world coming to?  Huh
« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2007, 1:59pm by Shannon » IP Logged

tkc1989
Goo God

~...Tonight's the night the world begins again...~

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Apr 16th, 2007, 2:27pm »

I couldn't believe this when I saw it on the news Embarassed Cry. They also said that some witnesses said that some of the students were lined up against a wall and shot execution style...that's just horrific Cry Can't imagine what the families must be going through.
IP Logged

Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16th, 2007, 2:43pm »

I haven't heard that yet. That is horrific!
IP Logged

DWG

Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 16th, 2007, 4:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

It's scary and disheartening that in these times, a simple thing like going to school and furthering your education carries the risk of having some random, senseless event like this take your future from you.

« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2007, 6:20pm by Dances_with_Goo » IP Logged
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 16th, 2007, 5:12pm »

on Apr 16th, 2007, 4:56pm, DWG wrote:
It's scary and disheartening that in these times, a simple thing like going to school and furthering you education carries the risk of having some random, senseless event like this take your future from you.

That's what I was just saying to my husband. Here's a group of kids just trying to better their lives for the future and BAM in a heartbeat it's all taken from them. SAD SAD SAD  Cry

I haven't been able to watch the news footage. It just rips me apart.
IP Logged

ChickenCookie
I'm Addicted

When he takes me in his arms I see la vie en rose.

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Apr 16th, 2007, 5:56pm »

Awful, just so awful.  The worst is that the coward took his own life, so no one will ever really get any answers or closure about his reasoning.  I really feel for the families of the students.
IP Logged
Christian
I'm Addicted

The Infernal Bridegroom

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 17th, 2007, 4:50am »

I wonder who you think you are
You damn well think you're God or something?
God give life, God taketh it away, not you
I think you are the devil itself

Am I the only one who cannot watch or read media coverage on this? It's so gratuitous and tactless that it makes me feel as if I'm doing the victims a disservice by watching/reading it.
IP Logged

And all the perfume rare, now buried in the shade
Christina
Goo God

I got a head that don't let me sleef

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: Apr 17th, 2007, 6:36am »

Cry.

on Apr 17th, 2007, 4:50am, Christian wrote:

Am I the only one who cannot watch or read media coverage on this? It's so gratuitous and tactless that it makes me feel as if I'm doing the victims a disservice by watching/reading it.

I don't want to, but I'd feel apathetic if I didn't read about it. I haven't watched any of the TV coverage though -- I really have no desire to see the clips the 24-hour news stations have been playing ad nauseum. (It's a sad world when not only are innocent people being mass murdered, but that all someone can think of doing instead of escaping is to whip out their camera phone and record the cops running in...)
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2007, 11:17am by Christina » IP Logged

"i have never wanted something so badly as having people just show up at ggd concerts dressed as presidential fruit"
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 17th, 2007, 7:40am »

on Apr 17th, 2007, 4:50am, Christian wrote:

I've read some of the media but I can't bring myself to watch the clips. It's so senseless and horrific.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]