Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « Bain Mattox »

The World of Goo Boards
   Off Topic Board
   Off Topic Board
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   Bain Mattox
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  5 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Bain Mattox  (Read 5249 times)
iris3732
Goo God

I can feel it like a curse.

View Profile

Bain Mattox
« on: Aug 11th, 2006, 7:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Where's Pryde....or anyone else who knows this guy.

I'm seeing Edwin McCain next month and he's opening for him.

Should I get the CD?.....who would you compare him to?
IP Logged

all I can do is try not to screw this up again
and just be friends
i'd rather be dead
~the marvelous 3

you say it's a good thing
that you float in the air....
~weezer
Pryde
Goo God

www.bain-mattox . com

View Profile WWW

Re: Bain Mattox
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11th, 2006, 6:26pm »

Hi Iris!
Yeah, I'm probably the resident Goo Board Bain Expert.  Cheesy   Are you going to the Workplay show or the Roxy show?  I think I might be at the Roxy show myself!  Grin

Bain's hard to classify - some people think he sounds like the Counting Crows and many people that I know that are fans of Jump Little Children really like Bain.  (Bain used to open for them frequently.)  Better Than Ezra fans seem to dig him too, and he's opened for them a couple of times. Bain's newest cd "Prizefighter" is a good one, but most of the songs are somewhat sad.  Bain was influenced alot by Elliot Smith about whom Bain wrote "Tragic Keys" (which was on Alternative Addiction's "The Addiction V.5" cd). Bain uses unusual instrumentation on songs including banjo, mandolin, and accordion, as well as the guitar and harmonica.  It know it sounds strange, but he does rock.  Cool  

My favorite on "Prizefighter" is "Grace" or "Slowpoke".  I'd get Bain's self-titled cd first, and then buy Prizefighter.  He does a lot of songs off of the "Bain Mattox" cd at his live shows - "Slumber Plane", "Thorn", "Rice Paper Heart", and "Peripheral People".      

There's a podcast on the Workplay website of Bain performing "Thorn" off his last cd "Bain Mattox".   Check  his website at www.bainmattox.com or www.myspace.com/bainmattox to hear some more of his songs.  Grin  
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2006, 6:45pm by Pryde » IP Logged

http://www.bain-mattox.com
rzezniksangel
Goo God

rzezniksangel
View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Aug 11th, 2006, 9:53pm »

I just love Bain.  I had alot of things going on when he was here with Edwin in June and wasn't able to make the show here.  I'm hoping he comes back my way and I'm able to go next time.

Enjoy the show!  From what Pryde tells me, he's amazing live!
IP Logged
iris3732
Goo God

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Aug 11th, 2006, 9:56pm »

DUH, I didn't even think of looking on his myspace page!  

Thanks for the info; I will check out the BM CD.

BTW I'm going to the Roxy show Smiley
IP Logged

and just be friends
i'd rather be dead
~the marvelous 3

~weezer
Pryde
Goo God

www.bain-mattox . com

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: Aug 12th, 2006, 6:30pm »

Iris,
Did I meet you at the Goo's Centennial Park/On The Bricks gig a couple of years ago?  Anyway if you see somebody carrying a black purse with Bain Mattox on it and an old timely tv (his old symbol/tattoo) that will be me.  Cheesy

After their set, the band will probably be in the lobby of the Roxy meeting fans, so stop by and say Hello to them.  Grin   If you see me - say Hi to me too!  Grin

If you're in Atlanta and want to check him out before the Roxy gig - he's playing after the Open Mic Madness Finals at Smith's Olde Bar on 8/26.  Bain hasn't played much this summer in Atlanta, so I'm sure the show will sell out so get your tickets early. Wink  The Edwin/Bain show will probably sellout too - so get your tickets early for that one too. Wink  
« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2006, 6:32pm by Pryde » IP Logged

iris3732
Goo God

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Aug 12th, 2006, 7:55pm »

Hey, no; I didn't meet anyone from the board at On the Bricks.

But I already have my tickets for the Roxy show....the Smithe's Olde Bar show sounds cool, too. I have to babysit that night though.  

However, I am patiently awaiting the arrival of Mr. Mattox's CD.  Grin
IP Logged

and just be friends
i'd rather be dead
~the marvelous 3

~weezer
Pryde
Goo God

www.bain-mattox . com

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: Aug 13th, 2006, 2:50pm »

Iris,
I met up with a bunch of WOGgers at the Centennial Park show and I think I met someone that used "Iris" in her screen name too.  That seems like a long time ago....LOL.    

If you're in the Atlanta area and ever go to used CD stores - look around for Bain's first cd, "Technicolor Episode".  Most of the songs on TE were re-worked for his self-titled cd, but it's got some very good songs that don't appear on his other cds and Bain played almost every instrument on the cd.  It's very "folkie" compared to what he sounds like now.  Bain has so few copies of it left, he doesn't even list it on his discography anymore.   Cry
IP Logged

Pryde
Goo God

www.bain-mattox . com

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: Aug 21st, 2006, 7:40pm »

Iris,
Did you get your cd yet?  By the way, Bain's booked another show in September at the Variety Playhouse.  Check his website for details.  Wink

I got my Roxy tickets this weekend.  Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2006, 3:18pm by Pryde » IP Logged

iris3732
Goo God

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Aug 23rd, 2006, 5:03am »

I did get the cd  Cheesy and working my way through it in the car. I like him! He sounds to me like a bit of Better than Ezra and Michael Tolcher sometimes.
IP Logged

and just be friends
i'd rather be dead
~the marvelous 3

~weezer
Pryde
Goo God

www.bain-mattox . com

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: Aug 24th, 2006, 9:27pm »

Glad you're enjoying the cd so far!!! :nanner:  Tolcher is from Atlanta too and they've played some shows together.  Bain and Tolcher just got through doing a "True Experience" music event at a resort in the Keys with Three Doors Down, Cowboy Mouth, etc..  I'm hoping I can make the event next year if Bain's playing in it again.... :thumbsup:

Make sure you say "Hi" to the guys at the Roxy show.   Of course it will be easy to spot Bain since his picture is on the cd, Chris is the very tall lead guitarist and a real sweetheart, Mike is the rockin' bass dude, and Oliver is the dark-haired (or at least it was last time I saw him  Cheesy)  new drummer.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  ...  5 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]