Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « Counting down to SFTROU one year at a time »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   Counting down to SFTROU one year at a time
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7  ...  9 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Counting down to SFTROU one year at a time  (Read 13618 times)
DWG

Email

Re: Counting down to SFTROU one year at a time[
« Reply #40 on: Aug 18th, 2010, 10:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

For some reason, I can't remember what I was "into" in 1998.  
A dark black hole...somewhere between Bon Jovi "downtime" and my next favorite band...
I got nuthin'.

Anyway, that gif is cracking me up. John, doing a dance.
Robby, punching himself in the head. Mike, drumming.
Awesomeness.

I have to consult my collection of ticket stubs now. I must have been listening to something that year.

carry on, and thanks, Nicole.
IP Logged
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

Re: Counting down to SFTROU one year at a time
« Reply #41 on: Aug 19th, 2010, 8:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Yay!  1999!  The GGDs appear on pretty much everything and have like 4 songs on the radio at the same time!  And then their plane drops out of the sky!

Well, I had plans to focus on the three Buffalo shows at Shea's in December 1999 by posting a bootleg, some interviews and the Road Home show from MTV.  But technical difficulties much smaller than a plane crashing are preventing me from doing exactly what I want to do right now.

Here is Shea's Performing Arts Center, Buffalo, NY 12/3/99.

http://www.mediafire.com/?dyk93r78kg29zhq

There may be more coming tomorrow, but no promises.  Cheesy
IP Logged
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #42 on: Aug 20th, 2010, 10:37am »

1998 and Iris was when I first really became a fan of the Goos. I heard Iris on the radio and that was it! Little did I know that the band who performed Long Way Down & Name ... which I LOVED... on Beverly Hills 90210 was indeed the same band. I had loved the Goos since 90210 but really didn't know who they were until Iris. But as soon as I heard Iris I KNEW they were one in the same. I ran out and bought Dizzy but never saw them in concert that whole tour. Keep in mind I was 28 and a new mom. Concerts weren't really part of my life then. It wasn't until Gutterflower that I finally saw my first Goo show. And that was all it took. One live Goo show and I was hooked even more than before. After that show I found the message boards and WOG and I've been here ever since. And every time I see them live is just as exciting as that first show.
IP Logged

If you need help, please email me at [email protected]

Christina
Goo God

I got a head that don't let me sleef

View Profile WWW

« Reply #43 on: Aug 20th, 2010, 12:30pm »

Nicole, thanks so much again for the downloads! You're a legend. And kudos to Steph for that 1998 gif, which I think is EPICALLY AWESOME, no lie.

Anywho, I'm going away for the weekend so I'll miss the time to post my "I got into the Goo Goo Dolls in 2000" story, but perhaps I'll bore you all with it when I get back. Wink

(And I forgot all about that quote with the Bush tour being like a tooth extraction through... yeah... Was that John? I DIDN'T REALIZE HE HAD THAT MUCH VENOM IN HIM! Bless. Tongue)
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2010, 12:30pm by Christina » IP Logged

"i have never wanted something so badly as having people just show up at ggd concerts dressed as presidential fruit"
sympathy_0
Goo God

Never you mind.

View Profile WWW

« Reply #44 on: Aug 20th, 2010, 4:22pm »

on Aug 20th, 2010, 12:30pm, Christina wrote:
Nicole, thanks so much again for the downloads! You're a legend. And kudos to Steph for that 1998 gif, which I think is EPICALLY AWESOME, no lie.

Anywho, I'm going away for the weekend so I'll miss the time to post my "I got into the Goo Goo Dolls in 2000" story, but perhaps I'll bore you all with it when I get back. Wink

(And I forgot all about that quote with the Bush tour being like a tooth extraction through... yeah... Was that John? I DIDN'T REALIZE HE HAD THAT MUCH VENOM IN HIM! Bless. Tongue)

I know right! I'm waiting for 2003 to tell my story! Happy 10 years of Goo, by the way Smiley
IP Logged

www.youtube.com/forbuss
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #45 on: Aug 20th, 2010, 11:12pm »

The GGDs continue to tour!  They continue to dominate the radio charts.  Yay!

The Road Home.  A show that aired on MTV following the GGDs as they returned home to Buffalo for the Shea's shows discussed in the 1999 post.  (Loophole: The show was filmed in 1999.  It AIRED in 2000)

http://www.mediafire.com/?bht5y32u91b5vb7
http://www.mediafire.com/?1aanrecakja79ab

(Still in technological meltdown mode.  Working on it.  Blood and sweat went into today's media so YOU ALL BETTER WATCH IT)
IP Logged
Lamb_Chop
Dizzy

View Profile

« Reply #46 on: Aug 21st, 2010, 3:21pm »

Ha, everyone got into the GGDs a lot earlier than I did. I'll be waiting until 2007. I am only 19 though.
IP Logged
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #47 on: Aug 21st, 2010, 10:07pm »

EOAC (or the mouthful WILAEOAC) is released!  No one really understands why it exists!  The GGDs probably get called sell outs!

I think the thing that stands out the most about 2001 (GGD related or personally) is September 11, 2001.  The GGDs played at multiple benefits to aid victims of terrorist attack.  (Fun fact: John was the only performer to play at all three major benefits.)  The videos are all very easy to find, so go find them.

I am going for another selfish choice this year.  The short story is that the GGDs played a benefit for the Food Bank of WNY 12/30/01 at Shea’s Theatre.  It aired on multiple local tv stations later on to raise additional money for the Food Bank.  You can download it below (tagged, kinda small, sorry, best I can do right now) or find it on Youtube if you’re not looking for that kind of commitment (search goo goo dolls home for the holidays 2001).

http://www.mediafire.com/?ro2ngzol08r7m97
http://www.mediafire.com/?ga5f5kvod3rus4x

The long story:

For me, 2001 was the year of my first GGDs concert.  I had been in love with the band for 3+ years, I was terribly bitter about not getting to go to their series of shows in Buffalo in 1999, and I was done waiting.  They announced a benefit concert for the Food Bank of WNY to take place on 12/27/01 and I bought tickets (I actually had my dad and sister buy me tickets while I was at work.  I was so very happy with my far left seats 18 rows back.  How times have changed…).

We proceeded to have the mildest December in years.  It did not snow at all and we were all sad at the possibility of a green Christmas… and then we got a large snowstorm Christmas Eve.  And then it snowed on Christmas.  And then, the night of 12/26 all hell broke loose.  In WNY, we woke up to a national disaster zone 12/27.  And the snow continued to fall.

The concert was postponed to 12/29.

And the snow continued to fall.  The concert was up in the air.

By the end of 12/28, parts of WNY, including Buffalo, had 7 feet (2.13 m, non-Americans) of snow.  The entire region had a driving ban and everything was shut down.

Late on 12/29, they announced the concert for 12/30, which happened to be my 18th birthday.  Between my house and Shea’s, there were still multiple driving bans and major roads completely closed down.  I had to work all day on 12/30 (I lived north of the city and we had recovered a bit more from our 5 feet of snow) and got hourly calls from my parents telling if driving bans had been lifted.  The final driving ban got lifted at 4pm, I got out of work at 5pm, and off we (me, my sister and her two friends) went to Buffalo.  We encountered closed highways, walls of snow and multiple car accidents.  We parked in some strange parking lot illegally and ran to the theatre.  Delays aside, the show mostly went off as planned.  Most other acts on the bill managed to still be available.  Ones I remember off the top of my head are Lance Diamond, C.O. Jones (Dave Schulz’s band), The Juliana Theory, Spirit of the West, Velour, Universal Honey (who got seriously booed) and a choir (lol, random).  The only band who could not make the rescheduled date was The Sheila Divine, which made me sad because I like them a lot and they mostly broke up shortly after.

I recall there being some controversy after this show because the GGDs did not play a full set.  I had been aware they would not be playing a full set so I did not care.  I thought it actually spoke volumes of the GGDs that they did not take a larger portion of the show when there were so many acts on the bill.  The show was primarily about raising money for the food bank and the GGDs did a lot to promote the show and acquire items for the silent auction and they didn’t try to make it a show all about them headlining in Buffalo.  Though this show was not a typical GGD concert experience, the events leading up to it and finally seeing the band for the first time made this a very memorable experience… and an awesome unexpected birthday gift.

IP Logged
nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #48 on: Aug 22nd, 2010, 5:58pm »

The Goos release Gutterflower!  They tour forever.  They get called sellouts!  John releases solo material for Treasure Planet.  Everyone reports that the GGDs are breaking up!

Today's media is an interview* the Goos did right before the release of Gutterflower.  It was featured on AOL and it discusses a lot of the meanings of certain GF songs.  It also features infamous MRL host, Max Tolkoff, who I love a lot.

http://www.mediafire.com/?4450j6knlj42s10  

Other noteworthy items to look into:
GF alternate song versions on the GF member site
Salt Lake City Olympics concert
The My Pretty Seahorse fiasco

Not noteworthy items to look into:
http://www.mediafire.com/?6zy78tgflcq3cwv

(*My version is in pieces.  This lovely whole version is courtesy of Christina
http://www.musicfanclubs.org/cgi-bin/ggd/YaBB.cgi?board=maingooboard;act ion=display;num=1195010636;start=15#15)

« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2010, 6:05pm by nmf016 » IP Logged
Christina
Goo God

I got a head that don't let me sleef

View Profile WWW

!
« Reply #49 on: Aug 22nd, 2010, 8:38pm »

on Aug 22nd, 2010, 5:58pm, i dont knO wrote:
Other noteworthy items to look into:
The My Pretty Seahorse fiasco

Not noteworthy items to look into:
http://www.mediafire.com/?6zy78tgflcq3cwv

Thank you for both of those moments in TV history, which I completely forgot about... :')

Even more not-noteworthy items to look into:

Live Stream Fail '02 aka THE BLUE TARP INCIDENT.  

I'm still bitter/amused by this epic fail 8 years later, okay. Anyone who sat through that deserves a ribbon or something:

...there.

Anyway, to get back on topic (and since Nicole posted an interview this time around!), here's a bootleg for the year. I picked this one for the sound quality and not because I was there; I swear. Wink

Roseland Ballroom, NYC, November 9, 2002
http://www.mediafire.com/?id4e0xe7a2wm8go
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2010, 8:38pm by Christina » IP Logged

"i have never wanted something so badly as having people just show up at ggd concerts dressed as presidential fruit"
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7  ...  9 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]