Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « Wow - this is different... »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   Wow - this is different...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Wow - this is different...  (Read 4502 times)
Lea
Goo God

RogueUK

Lea32R
View Profile Email

Wow - this is different...
« on: Jan 5th, 2005, 6:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I don't even really have anything to post, because I'm kinda speechless just now...

I just heard the entire 'Hold me up' album for the first time.  

I...just........

lol. *lost for words*

It's...punk!  Wow, it's just so different to, say, Gutterflower. It has a much more raw, unrefined sound - not in a bad way, but I just can't get over how different it is to their more recent stuff! Now I can appreciate just what Johnny and Robby mean when they waffle about the band having 'grown'.  

It's Goo, but not as we know it...or at least, not as *I* know it. And how the balance has shifted. How many songs did Robby get on DUTG and Gutterflower? This whole album seems to consist of Robby! And while more Robby can only ever be a good thing, like I said, it's just so different! Distinct lack of Rzeznik. Very odd. Very odd indeed. It feels like you barely even hear Johnny at all!

I think I need to give it another listen and then maybe I'll have some coherent thoughts to share with you, instead of just the bemused exclamations you're getting at the moment.  

Were any of you guys this bemused by the contrast? Or am I just making a fuss over nothing?!  

I'll bet I sound like an idiot! Fortunately that's happened before, so I'm used to it Wink
IP Logged

Sarah
I'm Addicted

View Profile

Re: Wow - this is different...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 5th, 2005, 9:31am »

I can see what you mean. But it was different for me.

I had heard Hold Me Up and Superstar Carwash after a Boy Named Goo first came out. I loved ABNG so much that I wanted to hear it all. So I guess the transition wasn't as big at that point for me, and I didn't find it as shocking as you. But I can totally understand where you're coming from, it makes sense. Wink

Anyway, as a somewhat related side note, I have been listening to LIB so much lately (plus I have a CD of live .mp3s in my car so I'm getting a double dose of live music) that when I went back to some of my studio albums Johnny and Robby's (most Johnny's though) sounded so different to me! It was kind of bizarre.
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2005, 10:10am by Sarah » IP Logged

babsil30
Goo God

What's the point in all this screaming

babsil30  
View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: Jan 5th, 2005, 11:11am »

Yeah, I can remember having ABNG, DUTG,  and then i went back and got Jed... wow, I was totally blown away! LOL

Sarah, I know exactly what you mean! I've been listening to LIB constantly, and put in GF yesterday.  What a Scene seemed so.. I dunno.. slow..or flat.. or slow & flat.. compared to the live version! I actually looked at my CD player to make sure it was "spinning" correctly! LOL  I could have sworn the CD was playing slower or something! LOL

-Babs  Cheesy
IP Logged

I put my heavy coat on for a while
It's freezing in the corner of my mind

FizzyGoo
Goo God

"Wow...My Face is a Foot." -J. Rzeznik, 7.25.03

AttitudinalFizz
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 5th, 2005, 1:25pm »

on Jan 5th, 2005, 6:32am, RogueUK wrote:

I just heard the entire 'Hold me up' album for the first time.  

Wait till you hear Jed!  Wink That's where I noticed the biggest difference.  
Remember also that the equipment available to them at the time was not exactly up to the quality of what they have now...Johnny didn't have access to 40 different guitars OR the Capitol Records Studio. I think that's one of the reasons for the "rawness". Other than that, it's just their crazy old days.   Grin
IP Logged

There are but two different kinds of people in this world: Those who love Goo, and those who are infinitely stupid.
Lea
Goo God

RogueUK

Lea32R
View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 5th, 2005, 4:43pm »

on Jan 5th, 2005, 1:25pm, FizzyGoo wrote:

Wait till you hear Jed!  Wink

Haha...you might have a point there.

The only song I've heard from Jed is 'James Dean'. But I'm guessing it gets much heavier, given that that's just an acoustic track...I love listening to James Dean. You can hear John cracking up as he's singing, and it always makes me laugh...I'll just be sitting there, listening to it, chuckling away like a madwoman, lol.  

Um...can anyone explain the whole 'Incredible Lance Diamond' thing?  Huh Who IS this guy? Huh? And the random animal noises on 'Out of the Red'? Any explanation for that?! This album's just a bit random in general, I think! Um...I'm guessing it's George singing on '22 Seconds'? Haha "Was I a little off key?" Yeah, just a TINY bit  Wink

I'm LOVING 'Laughing'. It has the greatest hyperactive bass line...I swear Robby Takac has extra fingers or something - how is it physically possible to play that fast?! I also love '2 days in Feb' that was one of the ones that I had heard before today. And 'Hey'. Why don't Johnny and Robby share lead vocals more often? There's just something so cool about hearing them sing alternate lines. Maybe that's just me being strange though  Huh  

Ah, stop talking about the new CD!  Cry It's not fair lol...I couldn't find it anywhere today  Sad and believe me, I looked. And don't even MENTION the DVD...it will depress me far too much!  

I'm listening to 'So Outta Line' right now. Makes you wonder about the other directions the Goos could have ended up heading in...musically speaking...

I don't think Rzeznik had really sorta...blossomed yet...as a singer/songwriter...at the time Hold me Up was recorded. He's come a long way.  Cheesy I read somewhere yesterday that originally Johnny didn't want to sing at all, he was too shy, and Robby had to coax him into trying it. Johnny has such a great voice, I can't believe there was a time when he was reluctant to sing! Good thing he got over that, huh?  Grin
IP Logged

FallenStar
I'm Addicted

REVOLUTION!

SociallyFrightening   Mmmcheesesoup
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 5th, 2005, 4:55pm »

yeah...i sort of had that reaction the first time i heard the entire album......

and i must admit being a goo fan that there are a few terrible songs on that album......but there is alot of good stuff on there....i still love the album....

but yeah..it is way different from what they're like now Roll Eyes
IP Logged

.::Sarah::.
"you're the only one I ever believed in..."

http://www.xanga.com/queenofthereich
http://www.geocities.com/heavenstrailtesla
Saz_Goo
Goo God

If I could paint in harmony... :D

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: Jan 5th, 2005, 5:29pm »

Heheh, I know what you mean about the different sound! For me, HMU wasn't too big of a surprise because I bought Jed before HMU, and THAT was a real shock to the system, I can tell you!!! I wasn't entirely sure if I wanted to get HMU after that...Tongue Luckily I did get it, and it's still a great Goo album, IMO.

As far as I know, (and feel free to correct me anyone, my knowledge ain't great Tongue) The Incredible Lance Diamond is an entertainer/singer back in their home town of Baffolo, and so they asked him to do some guest vocals on HMU (and on Jed too - not sure about their first release, since I don't have it... Huh )

Out of the Red is one of my FAVOURITE tracks, for some reason I love it's randomness!! I've always assumed that the animal noises at the end are because of the last line "Went to sleep at home and woke up in a shed" - which I always thought of as being a barn with animals howling in... on maybe I'm just strange. Grin And 22 Seconds is a classic - I love it! Kevin's Song is also very cool, I wish they did more instrumentals. I like the fact you can hear them tripping over bottles and stuff whilst playing... rock'n'roll!! :rockout:

It's a shame john and robby don't sing anything together anymore, but I guess they've both moved on with their writing since then, and it might be wierd to combine their different styles into a song coherently now...does that make sense??  

The thing I love about the old GGd albums is that you can hear them progressing from album to album. I think it's fascinating to track it - and it definitely hammers down those idiots who think they "sold out" with Iris and Name, when they've been doing slower songs all the way through! John's writing especially, it's very interesting to see him experimenting and growing in confidence with each album. DEFINITELY a good thing that Robby convinced him to start singing! :thumbsup:
IP Logged

Visit here to see all my animations --->http://www.sarahhale.co.uk

"Went to sleep at home and woke up in a shed..." ~ Out Of The Red
hyperangel
Goo God

*You Bleed Just To Know You're Alive*

msworld311
View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 5th, 2005, 10:51pm »

on Jan 5th, 2005, 1:25pm, FizzyGoo wrote:

Wait till you hear Jed!  Wink That's where I noticed the biggest difference.  
Remember also that the equipment available to them at the time was not exactly up to the quality of what they have now...Johnny didn't have access to 40 different guitars OR the Capitol Records Studio. I think that's one of the reasons for the "rawness". Other than that, it's just their crazy old days.   Grin

And then compare new stuff to the first album - that's a shock and a half.  Shocked
IP Logged

~Tiffany
UpYours
Dizzy

The Normal

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jan 6th, 2005, 1:35am »

I love listening to the old live tracks from the old EPs and stuff, especially stuff like You Know What I Mean and Just The Way You Are, when John used to sing like he was drunk and depressed.
IP Logged
pOGo
Dizzy

I'm Bored

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jan 6th, 2005, 5:43am »

well...it's more 'post-punk' then actual punk cuz it has a pop rythem to it...awesome album. Cool
IP Logged

People always think something's all true
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]