Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « Wow - this is different... »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   Wow - this is different...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Wow - this is different...  (Read 4501 times)
girlnamedgrace
Dizzy

He's the stone fox......

View Profile

Re: Wow - this is different...
« Reply #10 on: Jan 6th, 2005, 6:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I love the bit in 'out of the red' when you can hear John(i think?) saying "aw, son of a b***h" before the guitar solo! Grin  that album is great for the whole talking during recordings type thing that's going on. My fave songs off it have to be 'hey' cause John's vouce sounds all strained and cool trying to reach the high notes, and I just thought 'kevin's song' was the most amazing thing when I first heard it.

More duets and instrumentals, please!!!
IP Logged

Our Goo,
who art in Buffalo,hallowed be thy 'name,'
Thy concerts gone to,thy cds bought,in Europe as they are in America,
Give us this day our daily goo and forgive us for liking other bands,
just as we forgive those who do not appriciate good goo, lead us not into temptation,with your hair and toxic songs,
Ah, men!!!
Lea
Goo God

RogueUK

Lea32R
View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 6th, 2005, 12:51pm »

FizzyGoo, I didn't really think about the quality of the equipment - I guess that might be a factor. Haha, the crazy old days...from what I've read, it's a surprise the boys managed to stay upright long enough to record anything! ROFL.  

Haha FallenStar - I remember reading an article which said that one of the great things about the GGD as a band was that 'no song on an album ever feels like 'filler'. " Lol...22 Seconds, anyone?!  

I don't really like Johnny's songs on this album! They just lack the...sort of...how can I describe it? The...poetic charisma of his current writing style. Not keen on that Lance Diamond guy either! But it was very interesting to hear a Goos instrumental. I didn't know such a thing existed.  

Lol Saz_Goo, that's a fantastic line isn't it?!  Cheesy And your explanation about the animals seems to make sense, although you'd think 'barn' would have been more appropriate than 'shed'. Then again, that doesn't scan with 'red', lol.  Wink  

22 seconds is NOT a classic! LMAO.  

I know what you mean about the progression though...you can just hear the guys getting better with each album and sort of...musically finding their own identity, breaking new ground with each CD. There was some Robby quote about how it's 'ridiculous' when critics start saying the band aren't progressing, and how they should go listen to 'first release' and then 'Gutterflower' right after, and THEN try to say there's no progression. The man has a point.  

As Saz_Goo and girlnamedgrace both said, the lack of recent duets kinda sucks...one thing I have always loved about The Goos is the contrast between Johnny and Robby as singer/songwriters, and I think to hear them singing alternate lines really emphasises the contrast of their voices, and their different styles. I love it!    

I heard there is a track on 'Jed' were they taped a phonecall to their manager saying the band was splitting up. I really wanna hear that, I bet it's hilarious!  

EDITED TO ADD: girlnamedgrace, your sig is FANTASTIC. I nearly fell off my chair laughing...
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2005, 12:52pm by Lea » IP Logged

UpYours
Dizzy

The Normal

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jan 6th, 2005, 6:38pm »

What about the 1987 self-titled release?  No one seems to be mentioning it.
IP Logged
hyperangel
Goo God

*You Bleed Just To Know You're Alive*

msworld311
View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 6th, 2005, 9:14pm »

on Jan 6th, 2005, 6:38pm, UpYours wrote:
What about the 1987 self-titled release?  No one seems to be mentioning it.

Hey now I mentioned it Smiley I think it's very different and a lot harder. I wouldn't even think it was the same band if someone played it for me right now.  Wink
IP Logged

~Tiffany
UpYours
Dizzy

The Normal

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Jan 7th, 2005, 1:44am »

on Jan 6th, 2005, 9:14pm, hyperangel wrote:

Hey now I mentioned it Smiley I think it's very different and a lot harder. I wouldn't even think it was the same band if someone played it for me right now.  Wink

Oh, didn't notice.   Cheesy

You can't deny that you need to listen to the first three albums to fully understand who they are and where they came from.  Understanding the band's musical roots allows you to broaden your opinion on who they are and where they were.  That's just my two cents.

Slaugterhouse is an awesome track and I wish they'd give it a shot live once in awhile.
IP Logged
Lea
Goo God

RogueUK

Lea32R
View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Jan 7th, 2005, 2:39am »

Well UpYours, that's fair enough, but the fact remains that I have yet to see that album in any store, ever... Sad
IP Logged

UpYours
Dizzy

The Normal

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Jan 7th, 2005, 3:14am »

on Jan 7th, 2005, 2:39am, RogueUK wrote:
Well UpYours, that's fair enough, but the fact remains that I have yet to see that album in any store, ever... Sad

Yeah, I got lucky when I found it.  Keep looking, though, I'm sure you will too.  Grin
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2005, 3:16am by UpYours » IP Logged
crazy4goo
Goo God

take what you need...take what you need...from me

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Jan 14th, 2005, 5:15pm »

Hey RogueUK, try checking on ebay for the first release.  As far as I know it's out of print.  But you'll have to pay dearly.  I've been looking for one myself and they're selling anywhere from $40 to $100
IP Logged

iris3732
Goo God

I can feel it like a curse.

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Jan 15th, 2005, 9:04pm »

on Jan 5th, 2005, 11:11am, babsil30 wrote:
What a Scene seemed so.. I dunno.. slow..or flat.. or slow & flat.. compared to the live version! I actually looked at my CD player to make sure it was "spinning" correctly! LOL  I could have sworn the CD was playing slower or something! LOL

-Babs  Cheesy

yeah, I think they do tend to play that song a little faster when they play it live.
IP Logged

all I can do is try not to screw this up again
and just be friends
i'd rather be dead
~the marvelous 3

you say it's a good thing
that you float in the air....
~weezer
Lea
Goo God

RogueUK

Lea32R
View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 15th, 2005, 9:53pm »

on Jan 14th, 2005, 5:15pm, crazy4goo wrote:
Hey RogueUK, try checking on ebay for the first release.  As far as I know it's out of print.  But you'll have to pay dearly.  I've been looking for one myself and they're selling anywhere from $40 to $100

Shocked You're kidding...?  Shocked

I do not have that kind of money!  

Looks like I have to go without...ah geez, this sucks... Sad

Oh, and as something of an update to the original post I made...I've now heard Jed.  Grin  

I freakin' LOVE Sex Maggot! It's the best! Especially the random screams at the end, I'm a big fan of random screams lol. Does the chord sequence remind anyone else of Basket Case by Greenday? Or is that just me being odd?  

Road to Salinas is pretty rocking. And Up Yours, haha. I know someone I'd love to play that to  Wink

I like Out of Sight too...especially the bit where Robby goes "You work at Chevy..." and then does this really manic, derisive laugh. What did Chevy ever do to him?! lol.

I don't know whether I've responded better to this album because of hearing Hold me Up first. I imagine so. It came as less of a shock to the system.
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2005, 10:02pm by Lea » IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]