Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « Vocals »

The World of Goo Boards
   Goo Goo Dolls
   Goo Goo Dolls
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   Vocals
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Vocals  (Read 4820 times)
starchild
Up, Up, Up

View Profile Email

Re: Vocals
« Reply #10 on: Oct 27th, 2004, 3:58am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Oct 26th, 2004, 10:20pm, Silvergirl wrote:

i am going to stop now for the risk of going on and on and listing everything..okay did i make any sense thereHuh

and for the record!!

Robby has got the greatest voice singing or even just  
speaking lol
Teri

You made sense, and yep Robby has the best voice real cool, wish we heard more from him. Cheesy
IP Logged

Practice Random Acts of Kindness and Senseless Beauty
Lea
Goo God

RogueUK

Lea32R
View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 8th, 2005, 6:00pm »

I'm thread necromancing again...lol I can't help it, there are lots of interesting topics that I want to reply to that happened ages before I found this board...I'm sorry if it's annoying  Undecided

Anyway...on topic now...

There's this bit on 'Out of the Red' that I just keep playing over and over...I got the album, like, less than a week ago...and I have a weird obssession with the bit where Robby sings "Heavy Metal thrash band, it's all a bunch of shit" he just kinda SCREAMS the word 'shit' and it makes me laugh  Cheesy

I always liked John's vocals at the beginning of 'It's Over'. He doesn't sound like himself somehow, his voice is all husky and sort of...ethereal, almost. Am I making any sense?  
IP Logged

buffalowing43
Up, Up, Up

buffalowing43   sabrefan374
View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jan 8th, 2005, 8:05pm »

i really like the beginnig of the song "what do you need" for some reason i can just really feel his emotions out of the way he sang the first few lines
IP Logged

you're all i'm not. but i don't need what you ain't got.
niki_u_goo
Goo God

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jan 9th, 2005, 12:38pm »

This may sound wierd, but I love when John swears in some songs... like in Cuz you're gone" but your stuck in a f*cked up world". He just makes it sound so hot. I also love the "come to me" part at the end of Black Balloon live. I could go on and on with this forever.
IP Logged

Well, I'm sittin' here and thinkin', but I didn't know what to say
So I said something I can't touch, I always want way too much anyways

Cuz everything's wrong
But it's alright
Everything's wrong
Well, it's alright

~ Two Days In February~
Saz_Goo
Goo God

If I could paint in harmony... :D

View Profile WWW

« Reply #14 on: Jan 9th, 2005, 1:31pm »

Yeah, I love how Johnny sings the end of "Black Balloon" live.  Grin  

I think one of my favourite bits is "don't get me wrong I'm not IMPRESSEd with YOUUUU no more..." on the end of Two Days in February.

And "Ho-o-o-ld me-e-e-e U-u-u-p" at the end of "There you are", I love that bit!! And all the verses in what A Scene, John sounds really menacing!!
IP Logged

Visit here to see all my animations --->http://www.sarahhale.co.uk

"Went to sleep at home and woke up in a shed..." ~ Out Of The Red
boynamedgoo
Dizzy

Tell me something I don't know...

boynamedgoo22
View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Jan 9th, 2005, 7:19pm »

on Jan 9th, 2005, 1:31pm, Saz_Goo wrote:
And "Ho-o-o-ld me-e-e-e U-u-u-p" at the end of "There you are", I love that bit!!

You're thinking about "Just the Way You Are", not "There You Are".

On the topic, when John sings the second verse of "So Far Away" you can hear the emotion in his voice.

And how can you not mention "Domino". The chorus kicks so much ass. I wish they'd do it in concert.
IP Logged
UpYours
Dizzy

The Normal

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Jan 10th, 2005, 2:27am »

Damn.  I was thinking about it today as I was going through my normal rotation of songs.

You Know What I Mean (Live) - I love the vocals all the way through on this one, because John sounds like he's just experienced the subject of the song.  He gets right in there.
There You Are - I like it when John sings "Theeeeeeerrrree you are...  The-eh-ere you ar-har.  You arrrr-harrrr".
American Girl (Live) - ..."she was an American girl... RAISED ON PROMISES!"  I like the feeling put into the highlighted line.
Just The Way You Are (Live) - From the same single as You Know What I Mean (Live), the "hoooooold meeee up" part is pretty emotional.  In fact, in the days when these were recorded, John's vocals weren't as overly polished as they are on the records now.  I wish he'd sing with some of the old flair that he used to.
Iris (Live At VH1 Storytellers) - In complete contradiction of what I just said about Just The Way You Are (Live), the was he sort of sighs his way through the verse and then slams full force into the chorus fits perfectly.  He delivers the lines like he should have on the studio recording.
Up Yours - John should sing out of key more often, because it works perfectly, especially when delivered with rasp and agression.
James Dean - This cracks me up.  The way John chokes on laughter and also the way he almost manages to deliver the lines with some seriousness crack me up.
Million Miles Away - The rushed effect, and the emotional delivery make this song top-notch, vocally.
One The Lie - "He burnt down the house one night, he had a loaded six-pack gun".  Nice delivery.
Eyes Wide Open - "I'm a fortunate son of a fortunate son, livin' large on the wrong side of town..."  The whole first verse is awesome.  Also, "I get what I want if I make up my mind".
Nothing Can Change You - "Now, nothing can change you, when you feel foreign to love"
Lazy Eye - "Caught in the breakdown!"
I'll Be There For You - Suits John's voice perfectly at this point.  "It's like you're always stuck in second gearrr!"  and "Your mother told you, there'd be days like theeeese!"  Robby adds some cool backup.
Tell Me Something (Demo) - I would have liked to hear the full version.  If this got cut, it makes me wonder what else they cut from the other albums.  
Slaughterhouse - And of course, we have to mention Robby, because he's done some outstanding stuff as well.  Slaughterhouse is a moody shifting song, which fits his vocal character perfectly.  They need to try it live again.
Lucky Star (Live or Studio) - The line, "...and I believed in you-ou" and of course the chorus. Why did they cut it from Storytellers?
Slave Girl - One of his best, in my opinion.
January Friend (Live) - I love how he rushes these songs live.  Especially right before the solo when he loses his breath.  It seems sloppy to some, but I love the rough style of his vocals.
Tucked Away (Live) - Same as above.

Always Know Where You Are (John Rzeznik Vocal Version) - He saved this song from being bad.  The chorus is awesome.  I'm glad he's sticking with the Goos though.

That about does it for now, I think.

« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2005, 2:44am by UpYours » IP Logged
prgodess900
Naked

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Jan 10th, 2005, 2:37pm »

I love the live version of Slide at the end John picks up what on the studio version is the back-up line..."slide between those sheets of all those beds you never knew".  Also, I love the power with which he sings at the end of 1000 words bridge in Cuz you're gone (live).  Just can't get enough of that!
IP Logged
buffalowing43
Up, Up, Up

buffalowing43   sabrefan374
View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Jan 10th, 2005, 3:36pm »

oh man, the end of 1000 words cant even be decribed in words
IP Logged

you're all i'm not. but i don't need what you ain't got.
Iris74
Goo God

Caught in the breakdown

irysbren
View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Jan 10th, 2005, 4:27pm »

Live ~

What A Scene done live is AMAZING!  Especially the "supermarket punk rock television comedy" part.

1000 Words in its entirety

Iris - when John sings the high parts in the chorus (he doesn't always do that, it has a much more powerful punch when he does)

Recorded ~

"Caught in the Breakdown!" ~ Lazy Eye

"I'm not the one who broke you
I'm not the one you should fear
What do you got to move you darling" ~ Here is Gone

"I think I love you
But I ain't saying nothing you don't know" ~ Hate This Place
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]