Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
The World of Goo Boards « Maui pictures! »

The World of Goo Boards
   Off Topic Board
   Off Topic Board
(Moderators: Shannon, Adela)
   Maui pictures!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Maui pictures!  (Read 2541 times)
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

Maui pictures!
« on: Mar 16th, 2008, 6:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Now that I've finally slept some of the jet lag off, I've gone through all my pictures and resized them a bit. Here's a bit of our adventures through the island of Maui.

This is called Big Beach. It's in South Maui just south of Makena.

This is a small horse shoe shaped piece of land where people go to snorkel. You have to take a boat to get there. It gets a bit overcrowded with tourists so we didn't go there. But it's pretty so I snapped a picture. This was taken from Big Beach.

This is another beach in Makena. It's called black and white beach by the locals. The sand is black from the broken volcanic rock with white flecks in it. This particular beach is hidden and very quiet. The turtles come here to play in the waves.

A sea turtle playing in the waves. We saw many of them but they were hard to photograph. They pop their heads up real quick and then disappear again.

We went back to black and white sand beach several times. We were so excited to finally see the turtles playing and were then treated to a mom and baby humpback whale about 100 yards from shore. It was amazing! December-May is whale season. They migrate to the shores of Hawaii to mate and have their babies. The males travel in pods and the females are solitary or with young baby's. The babies are usually really playful and come closest to shore. You can see them jumping frequently. You can also see the adults jumping but it's harder as they're further out. But you can definitely see the big splashes. The whales were as exciting on day 9 as they were on day 1. The locals never tire of it either.

« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2008, 6:40pm by Shannon » IP Logged

If you need help, please email me at [email protected]

Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

Re: Maui pictures!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16th, 2008, 6:49pm »

On one day we drove the road to Hana. Hana is on isolated city on the backside of the island. It's plush and green as they tend to get more rain on that side of the island. The road to Hana is windy and not for the person easy to get motion sickness. Along the way there were many opportunities for hiking and waterfalls along the side of the road. Here's a couple of my favorites.

This one is called the three bears ...

Once you get to Hana the beaches and water are spectacular. The water is the color of blue that nearly takes your breath away. I was fascinated. The camera really doesn't capture the color either. What you see just doesn't compare to how beautiful it truly is. It makes the long, twisty road worth it. This is called black sand beach. The sand isn't really sand but black volcanic rock. It's rather coarse.

On the trip back from Hana I snapped some pictures as the car was rolling along. This is the north beach area where the big waves roll in. This is where the advanced surfers come when the waves are huge.
IP Logged

Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 16th, 2008, 7:00pm »

After our trip to Hana we went to the beach in Kihei near our friend's house and watched the sunset.  

While we were there we tried snorkeling. It was my first time. It took me a minute to get the hang of it but once I did I had so much fun. It was so relaxing. This is the beach in Kapalua in west Maui where we snorkeled.

On one of our last days we took a drive to up country or Haleakala Crater. It's 10,000 feet above sea level. It's a dormant volcano and you can see how it's eroded. You could see many people hiking in the crater itself. We took our time going up to avoid altitude sickness. The views were spectacular. It was about 20 degrees cooler and extremely windy.

That's about it. But as you can see everywhere you look is beautiful. It's so depressing to be back in the cold with constant gray skies. Maui was like a vitamin B shot for me. I felt so energized and light. I could definitely live there. If only it weren't for that pesky problem of finding a job and an affordable house to live in.
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2008, 7:10pm by Shannon » IP Logged

Anihil
Naked

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 16th, 2008, 7:08pm »

Your pictures are amazing!

The sea is beautiful, and the turtles!

The pictures of the sunset is really wonderful O___O

And the crater, with the clouds behind!

And through my windows I just see the rain, I need holiday x)

Btw, this travel would have been really enriching and relaxing Shannon =)
IP Logged

Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 16th, 2008, 7:15pm »

Don't feel bad Anihil. Now that I'm back I have cold and cloudy skies. The weather in Kihei, where my friend lives is fairly constant. It sunny nearly every day with temperatures around 81-85'. My friend said it only rains about 10 days per year in Kihei. But other parts of the island, like Hana, get much more rain. That weather is a dream come true for me. The humidity is also very low. It's not like here in the South were it's unbearable. It truly is perfection weather wise.
IP Logged

nmf016
Thread Killer
Goo God

Slashephant

blurb900
View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 16th, 2008, 7:35pm »

JEALOUS.

I'm glad you had a nice time, Shannon.  Cheesy
IP Logged
Anihil
Naked

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Mar 16th, 2008, 7:37pm »

This is really a perfect weather!

I'm in one the most rainy region of France, here it's about 180 rainy per year x)
IP Logged

laurengoo
Goo God

a.k.a y2goo_4ever

y2goo4ever
View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 17th, 2008, 9:53pm »

Shannon, not only are these pictures amazing, I'm totally jealous Wink.

Glad you had an amazing time on your trip, these pictures are beautiful.

Have you ever taken a photography course?

Cause I could see you one day in front of the barriers at a Goo concert taking pictures!!! Grin
IP Logged

made by: Hysteria
Shannon
WOG Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 17th, 2008, 10:25pm »

Thanks Lauren.  

To answer your question .... No. I've never taken a photography class. I'm self taught so I really appreciate your praise. Believe me I'd love to be in the pit one day officially snapping shots of the Goos.

I've gotta say .... jetlag is a bitch! I thought I was doing really well over the weekend. I was able to sleep without any problems. Then last night I didn't sleep at all the entire night. My poor body has no idea when to sleep and when to be awake. I've been tired and dragging all day and now that it's time for bed I'm awake again ...... argggg!
IP Logged

ChickenCookie
I'm Addicted

When he takes me in his arms I see la vie en rose.

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 11:07am »

Stunning pictures, Shannon!  I am absolutely green with envy.  I am so positively sick and tired of this awful winter weather lately.  I need some Maui, and I need it bad!  Oh well, at least I can live vicariously through you.  Thanks for sharing the pix!  Smiley Sad
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Off Topic Board

Goo Goo Dolls Board

If you need to email...[email protected] or [email protected]
Attachments are never sent out with these email addresses.

The World of Goo Boards » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

[MFC]